Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Race Report: 4 Peaks Race ~ Why Visit Lamma? ~ Missing woman falls & dies
  WHAT'S ON?    LNY lunch for Elderlies ~ Lamma Waste no mall ~ Lamma Dragons Newbie Day
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Nick the YouTube Star ~ LNY @ Tin Hau Temple ~ Rooster Dragon or Mutant Turkey 

It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:39 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: new police station
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:18 am 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

what did you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:39 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Seems like a better location that the current one, stuck out in the middle of nowhere away from the action

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:55 am 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

logistically make a great deal more sense to be close to where 'the action is' and also to be close to a pier where police boats can dock. Heck of a lot of money though - police buildings must be bloody expensive.

I wonder what they would do with the old facility?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:11 am 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

It looks massive.and why does it have to be built right on the waterfront? I am afraid it will be an eyesore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:41 am 
Discussions Forum Moderator

No indication of how big it will be -- how many stories at least.

Presumably they then won' t need the little office near the bank. Would be nice to reclaim some public open space, but most likely it will just be taken over by one of the restaurants as they do any other "public" space in Main Street.

And what would happen to the current station near the beach?
It would be unfortunate if it was sold and became the foot in the door to develop that peninsula, which is now mostly mature forest.

After recent events I feel a bit cynical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:59 am 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

On the map it looks half the size of a football field. So, even if it's only two-storey high, it would have a major visual impact.
There is no indication that the crime rate on Lamma is going up, how do they justify spending taxpayers' money on this project?

I am definitely going to write an objection and invite others to do likewise.
Strange how the government cannot find the money to subsidize ferries, provide 24-hour health care, a free non-confessional nursery and kindergarten, an English stream in the local schools, but somewhat always find the money to pour more concrete on Lamma.

I am sick and tired of my money going into the pockets of construction companies and their local contractors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:07 am 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

Perhpas it would be wise to ask them what it's all about? Perhaps they have perfectly sound reasons for this project and we just dont know what they are? I can guess that it's on the waterfront because the Marine Police would also be using it as a base and their boats can dock there. Perhaps the facility would be used not only for policing the imediate Lamma environment but also the waters surrounding our island - probably a much bigger concern even than internal island policing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:07 pm 

Tavis wrote:
can guess that it's on the waterfront because the Marine Police would also be using it as a base and their boats can dock there. Perhaps the facility would be used not only for policing the imediate Lamma environment but also the waters surrounding our island - probably a much bigger concern even than internal island policing.

I doubt they'd base any here, Cheung Chau has a Marine Police base only a few minutes away by launch. Though they certainly would use the pier here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:34 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

This entire new ploice station project is very mysterious, seemingly coming out of the blue, without any public consultation and now even the police themselves refuses to give out any information about it or to even discuss it. I got this unusually short rebuke from our local police force, sanctioned by our new Lamma & Po Toi police chief, Senior Inspector Philip Kwok:

"Since the planning is still in progress by our police headquarter and the Lands notice now is being displayed in one of lamp post next our new post. You should refer the information of this notice if you have any enquiry."

The notice is probably the one above, not giving any info at all besides the location of the building. Planning is still in progress and no more official info of any kind available, but there are only a few days left to the final deadline if you have any objections or questions at all about this entire project, after next week no more objections will be accepted, according to the notice...

Other local sources also claim to know nothing or almost nothing about the project, all very mysterious.

It's high time to raise objections to get at least some info, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:39 am 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

guys here,s a though ,your in china now!!!!

though ,means thought,crap at typing anyone noticed?

Post subject: write to object
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:04 pm 

Please send an email or call or write - or do all three

Wed 10th is the deadline so get a move on

Ref No. (13) DLO/IS/09 CS/2009/LM
Attn: Kaman CHAO
District Lands Office

tel 2852 4236

landsd@landsd.gov.hk

District Lands Office/ Islands
19th floor, Harbour Building,
38 Pier Road, Central,
Hong Kong

hotline 2852 4265
fax 2850 5104

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:38 am 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

Please write to the DLO asap.
If you have no time to draft a letter,
please use this template

District Lands Office, Islands,
19/F, Harbour Building,
38 Pier Road,
Central,
Hong Kong.

Ref No. (13) DLO/IS/09 CS/2009/LM

Dear Madam/Sir,

I was informed that the Commissioner of Police applied to build a new Police Station on Lamma Island.

I strongly object to this project for the following reasons:

1. There is no indication that the crime rate on Lamma is going up, nor that the population size will increase in the near future.

2. The current Police Station has served the community well and I see no reason why it should be relocated.

3. The proposed site for the new building is not ideal, because a large building on the waterfront will have a negative visual impact. Tourists come to Lamma to enjoy its village feeling, so a large, utilitarian building would interfere with the charming beauty of the bay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:11 am 

OK, after clearly expressing my disappointment to the police chief about not getting any info about the planned new police station, they just called me and answered my basic questions:

Current police station in Hung Shing Yeh:
Over 40 years old, too small and crowded, not keeping up with their expansion, services and needs. No infrastructure for female police officers, no holding cells, remote location.

Reasons for new police station:
More space, convenience for residents, convenience and better "command & control" for the police, image, close to pier for suspect/prisoner transport and police launches, much closer to residents, faster response times, infrastructure for female police officers, storage for confiscated items like bicycles, holding cells.

New police station:
building start: 2010, 1-2 years to completion.
Size: total 400 sqmetres / 4000 sqft, 2-storey.
Cost: more than 14 million (an astonishingly low figure, I commented, less than the bike park?)
Building is welcomed by the local powers-that-be, like the rural committee, politicians and construction companies, of course.
No objections received yet by Lands Dept. as far as they know, but the period ends on Wed.

Old police station:
No concrete plan for the future use, historic building, not to be demolished, open to suggestions for future usage by the community, NGOs, events, etc.

Policebox opposite HSBC: no change, will stay.
Role of current police HQ in Cheung Chau: unchanged.

Any additional questions for the police?
They've now promised to answer enquiries. I'll collect and forward them, if you like.

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:14 pm 

I have spent some time talking to a variety of people in both the Chinese and Western communities.

No one really cares if a new police station is built or not. The only positive reaction I got was that maybe that meant that the police box could be removed.

But certainly no one wants it where the police want it. This is the last major bit of community zoned land in Yung Shue Wan and the police want it all.

Virtually everyone thought that a new clinic or a sports centre or something actually community centric would be a much better idea for that location.

By all means let them build it. But it can go somewhere else. It doesn't need to be on the waterfront.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:42 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Lamma-Gung wrote:
Current police station in Hung Shing Yeh:
Over 40 years old, too small and crowded, not keeping up with their expansion, services and needs. No infrastructure for female police officers, no holding cells, remote location.

Reasons for new police station:
More space, convenience for residents, convenience and better "command & control" for the police, image, close to pier for suspect/prisoner transport and police launches, much closer to residents, faster response times, infrastructure for female police officers, storage for confiscated items like bicycles, holding cells.

Seems reasonable enough to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:37 pm 

Jos wrote:
By all means let them build it. But it can go somewhere else. It doesn't need to be on the waterfront.

They probably want to have their own pier. Though the Marine Police come here pretty rarely.

However, they don't need to be right behind the soccer field. There are several blocks along the reclamation towards the helipad that seem not be claimed yet. And especially as they don't want to give up their police box, they could be 200 yards further away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:02 pm 

Submitted by dragon:

Ms Karina KWAN, for Commissioner of Police wrote:
I refer to your email dated 7 June 2009 relating to your objection to the proposed new Police Station in Yung Shue Wan.

Firstly, may I provide you with some background information regarding the planned new facility. The existing Police Post (near Hung Shing Ye) is an old structure occupying a strategic hillside location that is some distance from the main residential areas of Yung Shue Wan. For this reason, a 'temporary' Reporting Centre has been located over an extended period near Yung Shue Wan pier for the convenience of residents.

Although it is not always possible to man this centre due to resource constraints, there is an emergency call button installed on the structure. For your information, Lamma Island comes under the policing responsibility of Cheung Chau Division and the only Police Station as such (where detained persons are processed and held) is located on Cheung Chau.

Due to the present post's isolated location, the Police have repeatedly sought a purpose-built facility in a better position and, for the past few years, we have secured a site opposite the football pitch / playground area you mention (which is also conveniently near to the Government helicopter landing site). Nevertheless, over the past few years, funding submissions for the construction of the new post have been unsuccessful due to other competing Government priorities (this is why the Drainage Services Department have had temporary use of the site for the past couple of years). More recently, however, the project has been given a higher priority and hopefully, construction of the new Police Post will commence in Financial Year 2010-11.

I would like to draw your attention to the fact that the proposed Police Post will be a fairly modest affair and is aimed primarily at providing a better service to the residents of Yung Shue Wan, including persons with disabilities. Needless to say, the new post will offer better facilities for police officers serving on the island, and the addition of female changing accommodation will provide extra flexibility with regard to the deployment of female officers. You may be interested to learn that we have also sought funding in the current financial year for an electric police vehicle to enhance coverage of the Yung Shue Wan / Pak Kok areas. Once the new post is commissioned, the old one will be returned to the Government while the Reporting Centre is likely to be destroyed.

Your concerns regarding the likely disruption and noise caused by the construction of the Police Post are noted, but hopefully such inconveniences will be mitigated by the longer-term improvement in public services not to mention aesthetic improvements to the immediate surrounding area, for which there is general community support.

Finally, I note your apparent frustration concerning the lack of English-speaking officers on Lamma Island. I regret that it will always be difficult to guarantee the on-scene availability of officers with the requisite fluency in languages other than Chinese but, generally speaking, most officers are capable of communicating in basic English.

Nevertheless, the special status of Lamma Island has been long recognized and this is why an Inspectorate Officer post is established for the island. The present Officer-in-charge of Lamma & Peng Chau is Senior Inspector Philip KWOK Chi-keung. Should you have any further queries, he may be contacted on tel. 2982 1577 or email: ip-sip-li-pec-ccdiv@police.gov.hk. Alternatively, you may prefer to contact Superintendent Alasdair Watson, Deputy District Commander of Marine Port District who has oversight of Cheung Chau Division, on tel. 2555 4419 or email: ddc-mpdist@police.gov.hk.

I hope the above information answers some of your concerns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:58 pm 

Do you think they want to be closer to Parksy's house?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:31 am 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

Reply from DLO

Thank you for your letter of 8 June 2009.

The subject site forms part of the land which is zoned "Government Institution or Community (Group 3)" ("G/IC(3)") under the approved Lamma Island Outline Zoning Plan No. S/I-LI/9 and is reserved for a police station and an activity room purposes. The proposed police station will take up only part of the "G/IC(3)" land. The remaining land within the said "G/IC(3)" zone will be reserved for provision of an activity room or similar kind of facilities in future. Under the said Outline Zoning Plan, on land designated "G/IC(3)", height of buildings will be restricted to a maximum of 9 metres.

About the need for a new police station in Yung Shue Wan, I have copied your letter to colleagues in the Hong Kong Police Force. They will provide you some more information about the police station later.

Regards

Vera LEE
for District Lands Officer/Islands

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:03 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

They change the plan.any comment?

Attachments:
PA200008s.jpg
PA200008s.jpg [ 65.96 KiB | Viewed 2481 times ]