Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:32 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Just spotted this being set up this morning by AFCD staff, lasting till 5pm outside the YSW Rural Committee Bldg, just opposite HSBC.

Maybe this was prompted by the recent new dog poisonings up on Snake Path from Tai Peng to the Catholic Kindergarten via the Fire Station, with at least one dog dead from likely Paraquat poisoning?

Attachments:
!DSC06803.jpg
!DSC06803.jpg [ 86 KiB | Viewed 1447 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:50 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

The "irresponsible" pet owners let their dogs out to harass people and crap everywhere not because they don't know it bothers other people, but because they don't care.

And how many of them are gong to be in Main Street on a weekday?

Just a way for the bureaucrats to say they're doing something. Another complete waste of everyone's time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:33 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Lots of leaflets and premiums like fridge magnets and pens handed out by the temp staff who didn't seem to be very knowledgeable about the topic. This is part of the same "Be a Responsible Pet Owner" Govt. advertising campaign as these highly annoying TV commercials with pets performing in sign language.

Asking the staff about the timing of the "Roving Exhibition ("Sit, Rover!"), so shortly after another (still-ongoing?) spate of dog poisonings, they didn't seem to know anything about that, all coming in for the day from off-island, probably doing this standard "Roving Exhibition" all over HK and being bored by it all by now. "Call 1832, er, no, 1823, for any dog poisoning cases!"

And then part of their flimsy display boards, partially hidden behind the school noticeboard were blown over by a gust of wind. I picked up some of the abundant leaflets and left, after interviewing a real-life responsible dog owner nearby with two beautiful big brown dogs on leashes, house-trained and obeying the owner's commands in two different languages.

The vast majority of Lamma's dog owners don't need any reminders to be responsible and the few who are not and are spoiling it for everybody else don't really give a hoot about Govt. campaigns, especially not on weekdays, ending at 5pm, I'm afraid.

Attachments:
!DSC06814.jpg
!DSC06814.jpg [ 155.83 KiB | Viewed 1407 times ]
!DSC06815.jpg
!DSC06815.jpg [ 168.25 KiB | Viewed 1407 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:14 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

The thing that got me was the heavy emphasis on Rabies which worried me that the Govt seems to think there might be a likelihood of it occuring for some reason! I too spoke to the guys in charge but they couldn't comment - didn't seem to know what Rabies is!

On the one hand they promote Lamma as a tourist spot and on the other frighten people with this sort of advertising. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:29 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

There hasn't been a case of rabies in Hong Kong since 1984.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3446009

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:14 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Yeah, I knew that which is why I questioned the heavy emphasis towards Rabies on the posters. Maybe I was just being a bit over sensitive and read more into it than there was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:57 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

According to an Ag & Fish man I spoke to a few years back, they're particularly worried about rabid dogs from the mainland entering HK on fishing boats