Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Race Report: 4 Peaks Race ~ Why Visit Lamma? ~ Missing woman falls & dies
  WHAT'S ON?    LNY lunch for Elderlies ~ Lamma Waste no mall ~ Lamma Dragons Newbie Day
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Nick the YouTube Star ~ LNY @ Tin Hau Temple ~ Rooster Dragon or Mutant Turkey 

It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:43 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

How many times have you been on a medical evacuation helicopter flight from Lamma, either as a patient or accompanying somebody?
Never 62%  62%  [ 16 ]
Once 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
Twice 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
3 times 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
4 times 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5 times 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6 times 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7 times 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8 times 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
9 times 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
10 times 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
More than 10 times 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 26
 Post subject: Heli flights to hospital
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:00 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Talking to a Lammaite today, while we were watching another medevac from our YSW helipad this Sunday morning, she described her seven flights in the medical emergency helicopter to hospital, for various reasons, usually for herself or to accompany a family member. Is this the record of medevac heli flights for a single person so far on Lamma or is there somebody who's even got more flights? Is there a heli frequent flyer program in the Govt. Flying Services?

Let's run a poll to get some numbers on number of times that a single person has used this free service from Lamma, usually reserved for medical emergencies only, mostly used for heart problems, serious accidents or baby deliveries. There's a doctor attending in the YSW Clinic 5.5 days/week and only during office hours, 2 days/week in the Sok Kwu Wan Clinic! This has been a long-standing shortcoming of our medical services on Lamma, making these very expensive heli flights necessary. The numbers of flights/year are in the hundreds (I'm checking for the exact numbers).

How many times have YOU been on a medevac helicopter from Lamma to hospital? Some local mothers and people with serious medical conditions might be the leading frequent heli flyers of Lamma, but so far I've never heard of more than 7 flights/person. I've only flown once myself, from the Power Station helipad, accompanying Lamma-Por suffering from a racing heartbeat, taking more than an hour to get to hospital.

Please answer my poll, so we can get some numbers and hopefully use them to convince Govt. to improve the local medical services!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:54 am 

A few pics from another Sunday morning (a peak time for medical emergencies, it seems) at the YSW Helipad, taken by chance when strolling up to Hunter's (Kam Lo Hom, where they're re-building a Village House in the deep forest above the Sewage Treatment Plant).

How many times have YOU ever been on a medical emergency helicopter flight from Lamma? Select your number in our poll above, please.

We'll try to use the results to push for better medical and emergency services on Lamma, maybe even helping to save some lives in the future, hopefully!

Attachments:
!DSC_1825.jpg
!DSC_1825.jpg [ 130.9 KiB | Viewed 531 times ]
!DSC_1828.jpg
!DSC_1828.jpg [ 128.21 KiB | Viewed 531 times ]
!DSC_1857.jpg
!DSC_1857.jpg [ 91.69 KiB | Viewed 531 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:59 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Awesome pictures, post the first one to airliners.net.

Post subject: Heliflights
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:08 pm 

I was airlifted for snakebite. Fair enough one might think. However I'm not convinced it was a terribly useful experience.

The reason they called in the helicopter was because there was no doctor there. The doctor on the flight looked me over and said I looked ok and they would come back again after dealing with a more serious case. They did. They monitored me on the helicopter and obviously decided I wasn't in great difficulties so dropped me at the pier in Central rather than at the hospital. Took ages to get there and very expensive too.

On the other hand Finley came close to death because there was no doctor at the clinic and the nurses were unhappy to call in a helictopter. Got left too late and became very serious. One of the nurses later said she was worred that it might be appendicitis, about which she turned out to be correct.

In short. A helicopter is no substitute for a decent doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:08 am 

I posted the same question on Facebook ("Lamma Gung") and got 5 replies so far, describing their experiences. Summarising them anonymously:

3 people ONCE for a birth, 1 mother 3 TIMES for the same pregnancy, plus one family with 3 flights and 2 emergency boat rides.

The current record of 7 flights for a single person hasn't come even close yet, a real outlier. Any more votes and first-hand experiences, please!