[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Police Corner
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Police Corner
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:23 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

English Anti Burglary Seminar:

Attachments:
Burglary-Prevention-160423-b.jpg
Burglary-Prevention-160423-b.jpg [ 86.15 KiB | Viewed 11715 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:07 pm 

Lamma-zine story on attending this seminar last Sat, see our home page, Apr 23:

Attachments:
Protect-Your-Home.jpg
Protect-Your-Home.jpg [ 424.56 KiB | Viewed 11641 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:27 pm 

New Police Corner by Lamma's new police chief, Rachel Leung:

"Hi all,

I am Rachel LEUNG, Woman Senior Inspector of Police. I recently assumed the post as the officer-in-charge of Lamma Island from my predecessor, Solid KWAN.

I have been serving in the Police Force for nearly 30 years and have been working in a variety of posts, including uniformed branches and crime units. Before posting to Lamma Island, I was attached to Marine Harbour Divison at Sai Wan Ho, Hong Kong.

I like outdoor activities, in particular hiking, and Lamma Island is one of the places I've frequently visited, enjoying the beautiful scenery, nice people and also the delicious food. It's a pleasure to work in Lamma and being part of this community. Looking forward to know you all very soon!

Let's work together to keep Lamma a wonderful place to live. If you find anything suspicious or have any information to provide, please dial 999 or call the Lamma Police Post on 3661 1714."

Attachments:
Rachel-Leung-self-into-b.jpg
Rachel-Leung-self-into-b.jpg [ 122.24 KiB | Viewed 11689 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:25 am 

Submitted by Rachel Leung, Lamma's Police Chief (reporting to Cheung Chau HQ):

An "The Islands for Anti-Drugs Carnival 2016" will be held at Nam She Tong Sports Centre, Cheung Chau.
Details are as below:

Date: 2016-08-20 (Saturday)

Duration: 1 - 4pm (Opening Ceremony: 2pm)

Performances include: HK Police Band, Police Dog Unit, Magic Show, Traditional Chinese Vaudeville, Senior Police Call.

No English used @ this Carnival, except by the police officers who need to have basic English communication skills.

This Chin.-only poster will also go up all over Lamma. This public Sports Centre is just a 5-minute walk from the ferry pier along the harbour promenade filled with bikes parked almost EVERYWHERE.
You can ask me for map info and instructions if you plan to attend:

Attachments:
Police-Carnival-Cheung-Chau-160820.jpg
Police-Carnival-Cheung-Chau-160820.jpg [ 157.94 KiB | Viewed 11645 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:14 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:24 pm 

That is actually a great idea!
Let me ask our police about this possibility, they might be eager to get a few more people to this high-profile event.
Police dogs, shows and children singing might attract a few Lammaites...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:06 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

I might come just for the trip, but don't tell them that.

It's been at least 15 years since I was last on Cheung Chau.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:23 am 

Trying out the new Aberdeen - Cheung Chau route by our Tsui Wah Ferry co. a few months ago - passing pretty close to YSW - I was mostly impressed by its stark reminders of what Lamma could become in the next few decades. Mongkok-by-the-sea, full of estate agents, supermarkets and many American fast food outlets just off the ferry, bikes EVERYWHERE, VVs racing along the sea wall full of rubbish and fishermen storage...
...and cold-pressed drip coffee. Oh, we just got that coffee just now, in the Green Cottage!
The other items might follow, maybe the dream and aim of our local powers-that-be for Lamma to become more like Cheung Chau...

No luck with the police launch to the Cheung Chau police carnival. The police launch can only be used for response to actual cases. No justification to convey regular people for that purpose.

Well, I've been invited on that boat launch from Lamma to/from Cheung Chau several times, years ago, for police parties in their Cheung Chau HQ. The launches were going there anyway and I was just hitching a ride, no problem.

If you'd get into a fight, then you're not a "regular person" anymore and become an actual case worthy of being shipped by police launch to Cheung Chau police holding cells for up to 48 hours.
Should I try to get into a little fight just before the police carnival, so I'd be police-launched to Cheung Chau? But then they wouldn't let me join the carnival, take pictures and write about it, lingering in their holding cell overnight instead?

The police might have been a bit less formal before; or the police-internal regulations have changed since then.
But I doubt that any Lammaites will make the long, expensive trip to this police carnival, despite their 2 huge banners being plastered over much of the Democracy Fence on the way to the YSW Ferry Pier now, blocking much of it from the usual, little community fun posters for Lamma events, sales and classifieds.

I made the 4 ferry trips to/from last year's Cheung Chau police carnival and it took me more than half a day, and I missed all the main events by a few minutes while searching for the venue...

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:38 pm 

Poster submitted by Cheung Chau HQ of the Lamma Police.

Also see my Lamma-zine story from March 23:

Attachments:
Phone-Deception-poster-1703.jpg
Phone-Deception-poster-1703.jpg [ 296.68 KiB | Viewed 11169 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:52 pm 

Chin. version of the poster above.

The "Assistant Divisional Commander (Operations & Crime), Cheung Chau Division, Hong Kong Police Force" writes:

"The recent reports unveiled that the trend of anti-telephone is still prevailing. For the benefit of the Lamma residents, we really hope the anti-telephone deception message could be spread amongst them.

I will find out whether any new publication materials and attractive stories about telephone deception to be shared with."

Attachments:
Phone-Deception-poster-1705-Chi.jpg
Phone-Deception-poster-1705-Chi.jpg [ 373.34 KiB | Viewed 11164 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:47 am 

Latest news and police advice on serial burglaries from our Police Chief Rachel Leung:
"The flats that were burgled had no window guards or grills. The thieves entered through areas that were badly lit. Many of the places were surrounded by a slope which helped to shield the burglar. The police recommend putting security lights in these places.

Please secure the windows, doors and balconies before leaving the house.

Wood or bamboo can be slotted into the grooves of the sliding doors from the inside to stop them being opened from outside.

If you have lever handles on your windows, tie the latches securely.
Cheap alarms can be purchased to put on the windows or sliding doors. I believe Nancy at the Tai Peng shop has some.

All this information is available on the website for the Crime Prevention Unit, also the Lamma-zine has a Police Corner which updates police matters:
http://Lamma.com.hk/forum-OK/viewtopic. ... 391#p88391

There are going to be lots of police activity in Tai Peng for the moment. If you are approached by anyone that isn't in uniform, please ask to see their ID card.

Rachel asked us all to be vigilant, watch your neighbours' homes. She doesn't want use to be patrolling in groups, leave that to the police. Under no circumstance put yourself at risk.

Call the police if you see any suspicious behaviour and if you are not in any danger, take a photo. The admins of the neighbourhood watch groups will be able to send pictures directly to the police.

The Lamma police would like to thank us all for being part of neighbourhood watch groups and looking after our neighbours. They are sure they will catch the thief/thieves soon."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/8-64253496962168?view=permalink&id=1375243862529793

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:38 pm 

Submitted by Lamma Police:

Attachments:
2017-06-02-PHOTO-00000038.jpg
2017-06-02-PHOTO-00000038.jpg [ 238.91 KiB | Viewed 11280 times ]
2017-06-02-PHOTO-00000037.jpg
2017-06-02-PHOTO-00000037.jpg [ 237.51 KiB | Viewed 11280 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:42 pm 

Finally some great news: 2 burglars arrested and confessed!
Google translation from ON.CC story on June 28, '17:

"During the period from May to June this year, there were nine burglaries in Yung Shue Bay, Lamma Island. A number of houses were used as a tool to pry open doors and windows into the house. They stolen a large number of jewelery, watches, watches and foreign currencies. And the total value of lost goods was over HK$300,000. In view of the seriousness of the case, the Police Marine Police Regional Crime Unit took over the investigation and believed that the case was made by the same gang after intelligence gathering and analysis. The police subsequently locked two target men.

In the afternoon, officers found that two target men tried to take a boat to Lamma during the ambush of Central Pier 4, and the officers were arrested and sniffed in their bodies, flashlights and masks. Tools, and a number of suspected foreign currency, suspected that they intend to go to crime.

Two men are Colombians, one of whom is 36 years old, who is entitled to a "street paper" stay in Hong Kong and another 30 years old with no proof of identity. Police are investigating whether they have been involved in other areas , And whether there is a party at large, does not rule out further arrests.

Marine Police District Crime Reconnaissance inspector inspector Chen Liying said the thief suspects around the Lamma Island are surrounded by hillside, extending in all directions, even if the easy to escape, coupled with most of the residential no closed-circuit television, the lack of security equipment, so choose the South Lamma Island, the police appeal to residents to continue to be vigilant, and the need to install security facilities to prevent thieves."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:04 pm 

Police Chief Rachel Leung's last Police Corner, leaving last week, back to Marine Police.

"For me, it is hard to say goodbye. I really enjoy working in Lamma. I am deeply impressed by this small but orderly community with a combination of Chinese and Western cultures. And as a short-term islander, it was really an amazing experience.

Surrounded by friendly Lammaites and beautiful scenery make my two-years service here more fruitful. With all your friendly smiles, lovely sun and even that raging Typhoon Hato, it left me with good memories that I will treasure for years.

As I have to return to Marine Region to resume my sea-going duties, I have to temporarily say goodbye to all my dearest friends in Lamma, but I will keep coming back as a pro-Lammaite."