[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Hutchison laying fibre on Lamma
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:25 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:47 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:34 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:58 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:37 pm 

I'm guessing that the Hutchinson Fibre plan is truly dead now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:38 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:49 am 

That's about HK$5,460 per household if my calculation is right. I hear from people in posh areas being asked HK$12,000 from PCCW to install fibre in their homes if they're not in a brand new building.

Could take a few years!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:42 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:12 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

A friend actually got an answer out of HGC, the first response we've ever heard about. He writes:

"HGC broadband on Lamma is for 'internal projects'. So it won't be coming to us anytime soon."

This is most likely the same fiber that the Power Station is using already, just a little extension from the HGC fiber going through one or more of our Cable Tunnels to HK Island. HGC and the Power Station are "sister companies", part of the Li-ka Shing conglomerate. "Rival" PCCW does not get access to these tunnels, so we might never get faster broadband from them. All bets for faster Internet on Lamma seem to be on wireless 3G/4G right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:30 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:45 pm 

The rumours seem to be that the high-capacity, state-of-the-art fiber from SKW (head connection) to YSW is for the ex-Lamma Quarry new town, to be built by a company in the same Li-ka Shing conglomerate as HGC.
Patient long-term planning by HGC, 5,000 brand-new, easy-to-connect customers in high-rises up to 13 floors in a number of years... No plans for YSW in the near future.

But there seems to be a PCCW Broadband upgrade in the plans at corporate level (VDSL2), unknown even to our PCCW modem fixing guy(s). But it will probably cost each house an undetermined amount to connect, new hardware, cable, etc. Maybe 8 Mbps or even 20+.

Maybe end of this year, but I won't believe it till I see it. I've waited and hoped for faster broadband on Lamma for almost 14 years, same speed now, but a lot more expensive.

Running my modem as a 4G hotspot seems the best and cheapest solution for home use I've seen so far, no extra cost and no extra hardware besides your mobile. But it only works great up to your monthly data allowance; using any more is still a convoluted, expensive and temporary mess with all local service providers, changing rules and extra costs almost every month, it seems.

This means just very limited and occasional downloading of TV or movies at 4G speeds. You can use our normal, overloaded 3Mbps Broadband for downloading GBs overnight; slow, but more reliable, no data limits and no extra costs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:33 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:33 am 

The rumours came from a person first-hand who is by far the most knowledgeable and experienced Lammaite I know in local telecom matters, so I take him much more seriously than the usual wild rumours.

What I took away from a long discussion with him recently is that we might get some faster PCCW Broadband (VDSL2) in the not-too-distant future, but it'll probably cost quite a bit to get it installed in your home in the few locations where it'll become available initially.

In the meantime, test our few 3/4G service providers in your home and use them for faster Internet for normal Internet activities, via simply switching your larger-size mobile phone to Wifi Hotspot; or a SIM card router, except for high-volume up/downloads.

Getting to use fiber might remain a dream for the foreseeable future, maybe a number of years after the new town(s) in the ex-quarry (and maybe The Baroque) will be built and at least partially occupied, so we're talking at least a decade away.
Betting on 4G and perhaps 5G getting faster and cheaper and higher FUPs before then.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:34 am 

Attachments:
200M.jpg
200M.jpg [ 99.32 KiB | Viewed 1684 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:55 pm 

I love my (sometimes anonymous) sources!
A Google map of Lamma's EXISTING fiber broadband, the one that HGC laid a few years ago, cropped to just the Lamma part.

Nobody at all, private, commercial or Govt. has been identified yet actually using this fiber right now.

Note, no off-Lamma connections so far, so the fiber is basically useless at this point, local-only, till Top Express (the cable, fiber and pipe layers, working on the Lamma sewage pipes on right now) or another HGC infrastructure builder can convince the HGC management to go ahead and offer Internet services to residents.

PCCW hasn't bothered to upgrade their speeds for decades, actually downgrading their Lamma customers from 6 to 3Mbps over the last 10 years, while massively hiking their prices here. But if there'd be any competition (HGC looks most likely, but still just a remote chance at this point), they might consider offering higher speeds.

The rumours (from reputable, knowledgeable sources close to PCCW) are for something similar being offered to what's happening on other Outlying Islands these months (30Mbps?), but it's all just rumours at this point. If they don't sort out the off-island link (maybe to Lantau instead of HK Island?), it would all be moot anyway.

Watch this space and the various Lamma/Outlying Islands Broadband groups on Facebook.

Attachments:
HGC-Fiber-map-crop.jpg
HGC-Fiber-map-crop.jpg [ 51.53 KiB | Viewed 1516 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:14 pm 

At least they still remember they laid fibre here.

That "FNAL" cable "in progress" comes so close to Lamma -- it must be an international link, so we couldn't plug into it directly, but they could lay a parallel one to link us up to HK while they're at it and then run a line from Mo Tat to connect the SKW end.

I don't have any hope of it happening in my lifetime though.

What bullshit are the 3 "FTTB buildings" (Fibre-to-the-Building") marked on Lamma? Two marked near the library. There certainly aren't any anywhere on Lamma, except perhaps inside HKE.

The "30 Mbps" stuff would be VDSL. Without an upgraded link to HK, all it would do is give faster speed to those who paid up for it by taking away from the rest.
Now you pay for 6 Mbps DSL and get 2 or 3, then you'd get 0.5, if you could get anything at all. Still using the same mediaeval copper phonelines that give you a chance to conduct lighting bolts directly into your PC whenever there's a storm.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:31 pm 

Yes, that might happen, reducing the speed for everybody else. The reduction of the max. speed on Lamma Broadband from 6 to 3Mbps, while almost doubling the monthly fees ($164 to $298 for new users) in the last ten years, might be due to them selling their little Microwave link capacity to higher speed 3/4G mobile providers?

In the meantime, at no extra cost, still happy with the no-extra cost 4G hotspot speed in my home office right now. Trying successfully so far to remain within my monthly data cap of 6GB. Cheaper rates for extra GB from 11pm to 7am on some providers these days, but needs a minimum 6-month contract.

{L_IMAGE}

Testing all over Pak Kok, these speeds only seem possible at the Pak Kok Ferry Pier and in parts of the New Village, nowhere else we could find, testing the speeds of 3 service providers last Sat evening.

But mobile Internet is limited-data, too expensive and not really suitable for large up/downloads, despite the 3/4G upload speeds of about 30* faster than PCCW Broadband.
Slow, but reliable and unlimited broadband over night remains the best, fixed-price option for large up/downloads, it seems.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:04 pm 

Curious about where this local-only, offline HGC fiber fits into the HK-wide picture?

Here's the complete map from which I cropped the Lamma part:

Attachments:
HGC-Fiber-map-crop.jpg
HGC-Fiber-map-crop.jpg [ 252.55 KiB | Viewed 1498 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:08 am 

Now I see that the brown lines aren't "infrastructure in progress" but are existing international fibres.

From OFCA: "As at October 2015, Hong Kong has nine submarine cable systems, namely, Asia-America Gateway Cable System ("AAG"), Asia Pacific Cable Network 2 ("APCN-2"), Asia Submarine-Cable Express ("ASE"), EAC - C2C, FLAG Europe Asia ("FEA"), FLAG North Asia Loop ("FNAL") / REACH North Asia Loop ("RNAL"), Sea-Me-We 3 ("SMW3"), South-East Asia Japan Cable System ("SJC") and TGN-Intra Asia Cable System ("TGN-IA"). "
Also see http://www.cablemap.info/

The "in progress" lines are orange, like those connecting Lantau with Tuen Mun.

Just where did this come from?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:57 pm 

HKEPC discussion forum, submitted by a Chinese friend to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next