[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - R.I.P. Richard (Mr DickStock) Jones
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:21 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

R.I.P. Richard (Dick) Jones, aka Mr. DickStock.

He was found dead in his bed yesterday by a friend visiting.
No foul play suspected, cause of death will probably take time, but he had stopped drinking recently and had some health problems he kept quiet.

Dick was a highly popular and well-known "Living Lamma Legend", a resident for over 2 decades, just reaching 60 years 1 month ago, a dear friend to so many, including myself...

The first eulogy by his "brother", Andy Maluche, plus photos/artwork by Andy, Harry and Yours Truly.
People are working right now on making the DickStock festival he founded survive and continue in his memory.
Please post your favourite memories and photos of Dick below.
{L_ATTACHMENT}:
File comment: by Andy Maluche
Andy-Mr-DickStock.jpg
Andy-Mr-DickStock.jpg [ 45.96 KiB | Viewed 7217 times ]

Andy Maluche:

"Often Richard wondered if he went too far again, but I assured him that how could we possibly know where the limits are if we don’t cross them now and then.

My best friend, my brother Richard “Dick” Jones died peacefully in his sleep last night, way before his time.

We met in Lhasa, Tibet 28 years ago. I was helping a friend move from my dormitory to one he would share with Richard. We both can’t remember meeting then, but a year later I met that guy I helped moving again, in Bangkok. We drank all night Mekong and Coke and coincidentally Richard showed up. We got introduced a second time. The next day I flew to the Philippines and as it so happened Richard followed the day after. We met a third time in a small pension house in Malate. He stayed for 6 months. We acted in movies and commercials together, traveled all over and mostly partied our asses off. Such was the beginning of a very close friendship that grew stronger over the years.

Then he moved to Lamma Island, Hong Kong, and I would visit him as often as 6 times a year. His apartment at the beach on Lamma was my second home for many years. We still traveled together and I would bail him out of tricky situations and he would bail me out of financial problems. He is the godfather to my daughter and an uncle to my son. He paid for their college education. He didn’t want to have children on his own. He always said, the influence I have on your kids and my nieces and nephews will leave a big enough mark behind when I am gone. And he was right. You left a huge mark behind, Richard. Your many friends, who at times would get fed up with your antiques, now will miss you terribly. Because you were never boring and you were a true friend.

You taught me how to live life to the fullest.

And nobody dances naked in the rain in the middle of the street in Makati, as you did."

Comments and many more tributes & memories from friends...

Facebook:
Andy's tribute page for Richard "Dick" Jones - News Personality

https://www.Facebook.com/Lamma.Gung

Searching for DickStock on the home page of this website yields 13 pages of results, excluding this forum...
{L_ATTACHMENT}:
File comment: Harry Harrison's DickStock logos
Harry-DickStock-RIP-FB.jpg
Harry-DickStock-RIP-FB.jpg [ 91.28 KiB | Viewed 7217 times ]

{L_ATTACHMENT}:
File comment: Mr. DickStock - photo and artwork by Lamma-Gung
!DickStock-A3-wp.jpg
!DickStock-A3-wp.jpg [ 347.44 KiB | Viewed 7217 times ]

Attachments:
File comment: by Andy Maluche, post-DickStock 2002, Lamma-zine #10
dickstock-exhausted.jpg
dickstock-exhausted.jpg [ 169.29 KiB | Viewed 7211 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:19 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

We are still not in a situation to say how much we miss you. We'll speak soon on how much you have affected us. Love you Dick XX

Affections to your family in US.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:02 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Sixty lightyears was a good run. Shine on you crazy diamond!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:59 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Very very sad news. One of the nicest Lammaites ever.

Dick lives on in my shifty-eyed avatar on the left - it depicts him and was intended for his use but somehow it ended up with me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:42 am 

Updates from Dick's memorial Facebook page, run by Andy Maluche:

"The FCC in Hong Kong would like to have a tribute to Richard. Island Bar on Lamma might have a small memorial tonight Friday the 5th.
We are working on Dickstock possibly in mid January.

On Monday I will get the date and time when Richard will be cremated in Hong Kong. There will be no service but anybody is welcome to join the cremation.
Douglas B. Jones, Richard's brother will inform you when the service in ST. Charles Il. is planned.
Please provide pictures and stories so we can share them at the various memorials."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:27 pm 

News about the first wake/memorial for Mr. DickStock, tonight, Fri, 7pm-ish!

"Dan and Sharon have spontaneously decided to do an impromptu Memorial night tonight at The Island Bar.
We will have live music and a slide show with some of Dick's adventures. See you all there."

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1572509686319111&id=1569706409932772&fref=nf

Great video featuring Dick in the Last Chance Saloon:

http://vimeo.com/113458354

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:45 pm 

News from Andy Maluche:

"The FCC Hong Kong has set Saturday Dec. 20th as a tentative date for a memorial for Richard.
I will keep you posted if that changes."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:41 pm 

Photo gallery put together by Andy:

(184 photos so far)

Plus the announcement of the day!
Dickstock
Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 3:00pm
Ideally 1 Nga Kau Wan, but tbc,
Lamma Island Hong Kong

"20 years Dickstock, let's all be Dicks."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:07 pm 

Urgent news from Andy Maluche:

"Hi Lammaites, Gareth, Parksy and Dave are working on a feasible location for Dickstock.
Gareth and Dave are worried about doing it in public places since we could be shut down by the police.

If anybody has an idea or suggestion please let or them know. Thank you.

P.S. We need to nail this soon since there are a bunch of people coming from as far as Sweden, UK, Beijing and Vietnam to attend."

Post your suggestions on the new Dickstock Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/755325327882344/758245774256966

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:50 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

You can approach Lands Department for the temporary hire of open spaces which are government land whilst you can get a local pub to sponsor a temporary liquor licence (issued by police). If more than 50 people you also need a permit from FEHD - Places of Public Entertainment. All doable fairly cheaply but some attention to detail needed. Dick was more the spontaneous sort.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:20 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:22 pm 

Kelly Morgan rang the bell at The Island Bar last month, Dec 2014, to commemorate Dick.

A permanent plaque is hanging now above the bar now where Dick was a regular.

Attachments:
Island-Bar-DickStock-plaque-b.jpg
Island-Bar-DickStock-plaque-b.jpg [ 94.45 KiB | Viewed 5476 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:52 am 

Submitted by Emily the former Ice-Cream Lady. She read it to great acclaim at Dickstock 2015 last Sat.
I asked her to publish it and here it is, with just minimal editing. You can reach her at icecreamladyhk@gmail.com or on Facebook (Emily Ho):

A Horse with Wings

A tribute to Richard Jones - by Emily the Ice-Cream Lady

The very last time I met Richard was when I came back from the city to Lamma, passing by the Fountain Head on Main Street, about three to four months ago.

I heard him before I could see him (American!)

“HELLO EMILY, COME OVER HERE!” he waved at me, sitting outside the bar with a bunch of middle-aged local folks, who would go there drinking nearly on a daily basis.

Quickly I walked towards him and sat next to him. It was nice to chat with one of my oldest friends (not in terms of age), though I hadn't seen him for a while and felt a little bit tired. Now I am thankful that I did not turn him down at that moment.

“What would you like to drink, Emily?” He always bought friends some drinks. I accepted it because I had not been drinking in a bar for quite a while, but more importantly, because it was Richard Jones. Since I closed down the ice-cream shop, my social life on Lamma has been limited to grocery shopping and having my quick lunch at the cha-chaan-teng (Hong Kong style cafe). All in less than an hour, because there was not much to talk about, as well as not many people to talk to. But seeing Richard Jones by chances was certainly one of the most unexpected delightful moments of my uneventful post-ice-cream era.

Then he told me about his plan on his next trip - which was part of his routine – as he had been travelling nearly half of his lifetime. He had to leave Hong Kong every six months since he had no permanent Hong Kong identity card, even after been living in the territory for over 25 years. I called him “a horse with wings”. Richard was born in 1954 which was the Year of the Horse, according to the Chinese Lunar Calendar, and people born in the Year of the Horse are best suited to travel. Obviously he outdid that, for he was not just like a horse, but a horse with wings – so wild and free.

We had been friends for almost fifteen years. Since we're both crazy people, we got along very well. Every time I saw him, he would shout my name loud from afar and say something funny. But that didn't offend me; in fact, I was happy to be made fun of by him. He was just full of life, never getting bored and never getting anyone bored around him. I have never heard him complain of anyone or anything. He planned Dickstock for his 60th birthday last October, but it was cancelled due to the complaints received from some (inaudible) neighbours. It was supposed to be the biggest, punkiest, funniest party on Lamma, yet he showed no signs of grievance. Sadly, he would never be able to host another one for us.

He also made no enemies. In a closely-knitted community like Lamma, having no confrontation with anybody at all in 25 years is deemed a world record. I know it quite damn well when I ran my ice-cream shop. He must have his own ways, something so special that only he knew the secrets of achieving it. Sometimes it makes me wonder if life had been particularly easy for him or he had been particularly easy on life. I think the latter sounds more correct.

Before I went home, I remembered that I asked him a question: "Are most people wearing a mask? Because I find some people are quite phony." Without giving a second thought, he said, “Oh yes, definitely yes!”. He never said anything vague. He was always straight-to-the-point. He was probably one of the very few people who could say and do whatever they wanted. Even if he was wearing a mask, he was certainly wearing a mask that made everyone happy and comfortable. Like all of us, he had his own troubles and worries, of course. But he chose to be happy and took life as it was.

That is what his uniqueness is about. That is why I like him so much.

And I always will.

Attachments:
Emily-Dickstock.jpg
Emily-Dickstock.jpg [ 64.98 KiB | Viewed 5413 times ]
File comment: Lamma's Ice-Cream Lady
Emily-photo-1.jpg
Emily-photo-1.jpg [ 40.93 KiB | Viewed 5413 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:08 pm 

For lots more photos and stories about

Richard "Dick" Jones - News Personality

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:16 am 

DICK slideshow

by many friends and family, shown at his wake in The Island Bar on Dec 5, collected by Andy Maluche

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:43 pm