[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Building the "Cycle Parking Platform"
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:36 am 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:29 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

The two most recent e-newsletters about the CPA from Living Lamma.
Deadline this Tuesday!

Bike Park Malarky
Write Now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:13 pm 

My letter, trying to be diplomatic, but not completely succeeding:

Feel free to reuse any of this in your own letters.

<hr><hr>

Ms. Maisie Cheng,
Acting Permanent Secretary for Transport and Housing
CC: Email : ds1@thb.gov.hk, sthoffice@thb.gov.hk
22ND Floor, East Wing, Central Government Offices, 2 Tim Mei Avenue, Tamar, Hong Kong

Dear Ms Cheng,

I am writing in objection to the gazetted project CPA Plan No. PW-GS11-009.

I am a resident of Yung Shue Wan, Lamma and my wife , daughter and myself travel to the Yung Shue Wan ferry daily by bicycle. We lock our bikes to the railings of the pier, along with several hundred other Lamma residents, and we will all be adversely affected by the unsuitable location and poor design of the proposed "Cycle Parking Area" gazetted by your department.

The stated justification: "to meet local demand and alleviate safety risks arising from illegally parked bicycles." is unsubstantiated.

1) "Demand": The "demand" is from the District Councillor, Yu Lai Fan, who never raised this topic in any public venue. She seems to act simply to secure the maximum amount of money possible for local construction contracts, regardless of any other consideration.

2) "Safety risks". Commuters have been parking bikes along the pier on Lamma for 30 or 40 years. (I, my wife and more recently my daughter) have been doing so for the last 20 years. I have never seen any hint of "danger". I have asked the proponents of this plan -- HAD and the District Councillor Yu Lai Fan -- to explain the "risk" that justifies spending $18 million and inconveniencing thousands of cyclists. There was no response, other than to simply repeat that it is a "safety risk".

The safety risks that will be created to users by the closely packed CPA, with restricted access, are much greater than any imagined, and never realised, risk to pedestrians on the pier now.

There is a minor inconvenience with some cyclists leaving their bikes "double parked" close to the pier gateway.
A much simpler and cheaper method of dealing with the small (perhaps 5 bikes in total ) that do this would be to formalise the current ad hoc arrangement and mark the area where bikes can be parked, say within 1 metre of the railings, and add signage to that effect, stating that bikes should be secured to the railings.

Then there would be a clear passage of at least 4 metres for pedestrians. Currently at the end of the pier, pedestrians come to Lamma's "Main Street", which is 2.2 metres wide; some parts less than 2 metres, so spending $18 million to make a 6 metre wide passage for the length of the pier is a foolish waste that would just exacerbate the bottleneck at the end of the pier..

A relatively small amount of money - perhaps $100,000, 0.5% of the proposed budget of the CPA, could be used to provide angled bicycle racks along the pier. This would ensure orderly parking. There is no technical reason not to do this. The racks would be negligibly heavier than the existing railings.

Aside from the outrageous cost -- $50,000 per bicycle -- of the CPA which I am surprised the government is happy to waste, the design of the CPA is poor. It is similar, but smaller and less convenient, to the CPA in Mui Wo, which is unpopular with residents. The access to the area will be easily blocked by a few carelessly parked -- and probably locked -- bikes. The linear arrangement of bikes along the railings now provides maximum accessibility to all users.

I have attempted to discuss the design of the CPA with HAD and CEDD. I have asked them what research they have read or done on bicycle parking, what principles were used. There was none, and no surveys of cycling on Lamma; the only district of Hong Kong where there is no other form of transport except cycling. Many cities around the world (e.g. Melbourne, Australia: see http://www.bv.com.au/general/bike-parking-experts/ ) take cycling as a serious mode of transport and have standards that could be applied. Here, the design principle applied was "stack as closely as possible", with no regard for how commuters are supposed to access their bikes, when dozens of them need to park and retrieve their bikes simultaneously when a ferry (holding up to 400 passengers) arrives or departs.

You should note that HAD asked the Green Lantau Association to comment on the plan in February 2009. Green Lantau pointed out the exact shortcomings I have, they mentioned the problems of the Mui Wo parking areas that this will repeat,and suggested the pier be renovated and bicycle parking along it be incorporated as a much better, and much cheaper, solution for all concerned. HAD buried this response, as they did later ones by Living Lamma, myself and many other individuals, and only cites statements by the District Councillor in support of this plan.

Alan Sargent
Lamma Island
4 March 2012

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:34 am 

Nice one Alan. I don't understand why we send it to Transport department when they keep pushing to Home Affairs.

And I notice the banner by Land Justice HK has been removed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:13 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:47 am 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:25 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Attachments:
bike 2 sm.jpg
bike 2 sm.jpg [ 58.52 KiB | Viewed 3229 times ]
bike 1 sm.jpg
bike 1 sm.jpg [ 129.6 KiB | Viewed 3229 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:48 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:10 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:55 pm 

Coming off the YSW ferry this afternoon, the container office for the Bike Park construction was being delivered, placed outside the YSW Library (which will be rebuilt later, several years from now).

Start of the actual Bike Park works not confirmed yet, but it won't be long now...

Attachments:
!DSC07655.jpg
!DSC07655.jpg [ 162.97 KiB | Viewed 2750 times ]
!DSC07657.jpg
!DSC07657.jpg [ 125.11 KiB | Viewed 2750 times ]
!DSC07659.jpg
!DSC07659.jpg [ 163.16 KiB | Viewed 2750 times ]
!DSC07664.jpg
!DSC07664.jpg [ 117.83 KiB | Viewed 2750 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:57 pm 

No doubt scheduled to give a Happy New Year for Yu Lai Fan and her friends.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:05 pm 

You mean this celebratory poster outside the District Council office?

Notice the party hats and confetti, it looks like "Hooray, hooray, we won!"

There's already a sign to "Parking for Bicycles" in the village. Anybody guess where it is?

Attachments:
!DSC05601.jpg
!DSC05601.jpg [ 123.96 KiB | Viewed 2851 times ]
!20140113_093213.jpg
!20140113_093213.jpg [ 98.37 KiB | Viewed 2851 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:08 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:16 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

What a crock of shite.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:08 am 

These signs are plastered around the Bike Park in progress.

So I've been a serial offender for quite some time now, documenting the progress of the construction!

What's the penalty? Will they confiscate my camera(s) and throw me into the holding cell of the new police station?
It's mighty tight in there... :shock: :eek:

Attachments:
!no-photo.jpg
!no-photo.jpg [ 36.45 KiB | Viewed 2613 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:45 pm 

Even a Bike Park under construction can become a "tourist attraction" when it's the very first thing visitors see coming from the YSW Ferry Pier...

As Cheung Chau already has a bike park at the ferry pier, I'll go over there soon to see how it's worked out for them so far (or not). Having had a long chat with their Chief Inspector this week, I'll have a local guide in Cheung Chau who knows the history and progress so far. They'''re working on extending their Bike Park soon as iy hasn't worked out so well, bikes still being parked all around their ferry pier, tied to trees, etc...

Attachments:
!20140710_133333-wp.jpg
!20140710_133333-wp.jpg [ 89.23 KiB | Viewed 2544 times ]
!20140710_133353-wp.jpg
!20140710_133353-wp.jpg [ 135.28 KiB | Viewed 2544 times ]
!20140710_08.jpg
!20140710_08.jpg [ 252.24 KiB | Viewed 2544 times ]
!20140710_132931_HDR-wp.jpg
!20140710_132931_HDR-wp.jpg [ 198.23 KiB | Viewed 2544 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:25 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:43 pm 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

From the machinery on the platform it looks like it is going to be piling. So, maybe not just a concrete slab but a deck on piles – the same as the existing pier.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:27 am 

Rambler, you're right. a deck similar to the ferry pier.
Intially they wanted to do a full reclamation, but after a lot of opposition they agreed to a platform only.

Now imagine these bike park works, times 10, all along the YSW waterfront, 30-50 metre wide full reclamation, going on for at least two years, starting this summer. That was the original plan, postponed to next year not long ago...

We might have to find different areas of Lamma for our sunset dinners next year...
or maybe the nice boardwalk along the Aberdeen waterfront, off the Lamma ferry, close to the Aberdeen and Ap Lei Chow MTR stations under construction right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:50 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next