[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - This forum & classifieds need your help!
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Forum rules

* This free forum is ONLY open for private, personal ads, not for businesses/property agents.
* Do not bump or duplicate your posts. * Ads will expire after 30 days.
* PIN YOUR POST to the top of these classifieds and link it from this box, for a donation: Contact Lamma-Gung.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:41 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

So many Lammaites have been selling & buying stuff and finding & letting flats via these free classifieds over the years, it would be nice to make them community-supported.

This forum are totally advertising-free and I'd prefer to keep it this way. I've been paying all the running costs myself, mainly the yearly webhosting of HK$1,440, but also various other smaller expenses. This forum is the most labour-intensive and by far the most troublesome part of this entire website (spam attacks, registrations, hosting problems, backups, maintenance, etc.), but it generates absolutely no revenue for me.

We'll have to find a much cheaper flat very soon, another major rent increase coming up, any leads most appreciated! So I can't really continue to pay all these forum costs out of my own pocket. The shrinking amount of advertising revenue from the (barely) self-supporting Lamma-zine can't subsidise this forum forever.

The yearly webhosting bill is due end of this month. Could we raise this small amount of $1,440 via donations from people who have sold things and found tenants via this forum, or from the many Lammaites who found a bargain here or just think that these all-free classifieds are a useful community service and should survive a while longer?

If you don't donate, nobody else will either. It's simplistic to think that somebody else will donate, but it doesn't work that way. Donations are extremely rare and precious; there have only been a tiny few this entire year so far.

All donations will be used only for the webhosting bill. If more is raised (pretty unlikely!), it'll be used for other occasional, upcoming forum support bills.

Please click on Support Lamma.com.hk! in the upper right side on the home page of this site, or send me a Private Message, or email info@Lamma.com.hk, or simply transfer to HSBC 499-064061-001 (anonymously, if you prefer).

Thank you very much in advance for your support to keep this forum & these free classifieds running!

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:52 am 

One single donation so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:15 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:24 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

I tried to donate, but the form was saying "invalid security code" but I am sure the code was right, I tried 3x. Let me know, I will gladly make a donation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:49 pm 

I've sent you a Private Message.
Has anybody else encountered this or any another problem while donating?

Many many thanks to the very few people who've donated so far. It's very much appreciated. Donations are still most welcome, as the webhosting bill is now overdue by 12 days...

We've also got a major move to a less expensive but very remote Lamma location coming up in the next few weeks. We have to leave the Yung Shue Wan area after almost 12 years, it's become unaffordable for us...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:35 am 

I have put some items on sale that will (if sold) generation HK$500 for your running costs.

Would prefer to give the $ in cash as wiring to HSBC eats a chunk away for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:42 pm 

Wow, that's a great gesture, especially as it's so rare and therefore most precious and much appreciated.

As these free classifieds are currently the most active section of this entire website it'd be great if a few more people would follow your wonderful example.

We can meet almost anytime anywhere on Lamma at your convenience. I'm all over the island almost daily looking for more news, events, stories and pictures....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:03 am 

well I have run large websites and online projects before (100k+ users etc) and I'm well aware of the hole it can burn in pockets.

Currently my sales thread has nearly 60 views but no replies :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:30 am 

Also added a Samsung 2.1 stereo with contribution for the site too.

I also did some work with Hasbro a while ago and have a box of Transformers toy so if you know anyone who want toys for kids or are just collectors lemme know.

I'll sell them and contribute more to running costs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:40 pm 

I've made your two ads Sticky, so they'll stay at the top of our classifieds for one entire month or till sold.

I'll offer this top placement for anybody making a contribution from their Buy & Sell, Rent & Let ad towards the upkeep of this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:07 pm 

Thanks, I suspect more attention will go that way over the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:48 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:17 am 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:26 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:14 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:34 pm 

Despite being stickied and over 200 views not one msg or offer. Are my prices too high? I even stated that they can make an offer.

Let's see what happens over the next few days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:26 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:28 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:56 pm 

You might have noticed that this website and forum has been down all morning today, Aug 22. After my own investigations and several emails to Customer Support of the webhosting co., it turned out that they had suspended the entire Lamma.com.hk domain, without letting me know when and why! After at first not admitting to suspending the account, I finally got their reply with an ultimatum:

"Dear Customer:

Your [Lamma.com.hk domain webhosting] account was suspended as your account was sending out a large amount of Spam. I will be restoring services to this account, however I will need you to agree change all the passwords to any email accounts you may have. This needs to be done as soon as possible. If the passwords to the email accounts are not changed, the account will be suspended again.

We will require you to change all passwords. If all passwords are not changed, the account will be suspended. Additionally, you may want to scan all the computers associated to email accounts as if you did not send out spam emails, it is quite possible one of your computers may be compromised."

There went another 2/3 of a day of my life getting this non-commercial, ad-free forum running again, wading through site admin menus and security settings....

The above does NOT affect your forum usernames, passwords or Private Messages in any way, please proceed as before, no need to change the passwords of forum users... till another spambot might get this forum suspended again...

But changing your passwords regularly is good advice anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:22 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

If the site was compromised, they should tell you. You're paying the bastards.

Maybe appeal to any forum members who have a connection to a local hosting company if they can do a deal, where at least you can have a relationship with them and phone them and yell at them if necessary.