[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Bar & Restaurant News
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:12 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:48 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:53 pm 

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:24 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:25 pm 

Yes, vis-a-vis Pizza Milano;
where they just concreted the floor and replaced the fence along Main Street with another one of these low bare-concrete walls proliferating all over Yung Shue Wan, surrounding many of the newer village houses now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:33 pm 

Many congratulations to the Lamma Grill up in Tai Yuen on their first anniversary!

They had a great party on Friday night for their legions of loyal customers and even ran out of Sangria. Anybody got photos of the party to show here, please?

All the best wishes for many more anniversaries and even bigger success! Check them out on Facebook and their new website, http://www.LammaGrill.com with their entire menu, takeaways and daily specials.<HR>
Lamma institution Man Kee Rest. has been taken over by our Sha Po neighbour and Beer Garden owner, Chow Hung Kee.
He seemed to spend so much time in Man Kee and liking it so much that he took it over after the retirement of the longtime owner who has now more time to go spearfishing, see below...

Their homely, very moderately priced food will probably stay the same - why mess with such longtime success, mostly the same cooks and staff . We might continue to be regular customers.
Try their HK-style breakfasts or their complete steak set meal (incl. soup, salad and drink) on a sizzling plate, big enough for two people, for $98.

Still waiting for the re-opening of the former Ngau Kee Cha Chaan Teng vis-a-vis Pizza Milano, delayed from July 1 to probably sometime before end of this month, July. The new waiters and cooks seem to be in training these days....

Attachments:
File comment: Former Man Kee boss, Easter 2013, seaside terrace of Man Kee Rest.
130331.jpg
130331.jpg [ 66.8 KiB | Viewed 7792 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:54 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Congratulations to the Lamma Grill! HIgh Quality delicious food! Missed the party. Have no pictures.

As for the Man Kee.. hope it stays the same! It's always been a cheap and cheerful 'lunchbox/dai pai dong' style of place for me, and I think it could be the only restaurant in YSW that has been consistent for over 20 years.

It was my hangout of choice during the early 90's. Hope it doesn't disappear like many HK 'institutions' for locals. Hope it stays the same under new management.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:23 pm 

Our first breakfast in Mr. Ma & Restaurant, vis-a-vis Pizza Milano. The Chinese name remains the same, Ngau Kee. It reopened last Sat, July 13.

$25 for a HK-style breakfast, very similar to Man Kee's traditional fare.
We'll be back for their "Tea Sets" and a regular meal soon.

We felt 'safe' as this venue is approved for police officer's meals, see below.
It's quite an experience to sit out there during a massive tropical downpour, like this morning's Yellow Thunderstorm Warning.

Attachments:
File comment: The very friendly but always moving house cat.
It returned at least 4 times to me to be petted, obviously enjoying it.

!20130716_093532-b.jpg
!20130716_093532-b.jpg [ 38.75 KiB | Viewed 7515 times ]
File comment: Huge banner along YSW Main Street
!20130713_171934-b.jpg
!20130713_171934-b.jpg [ 20.82 KiB | Viewed 7515 times ]
File comment: Tea Sets
!20130716_085811.jpg
!20130716_085811.jpg [ 69.02 KiB | Viewed 7515 times ]
File comment: A safe outdoor place to shelter in a Yellow Thunderstorm
!20130716_092520.jpg
!20130716_092520.jpg [ 68.22 KiB | Viewed 7515 times ]
File comment: We were well protected...
!20130716_085938.jpg
!20130716_085938.jpg [ 102.06 KiB | Viewed 7515 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:37 pm 

Prime Bar & Grill are hosting a charity dinner for Child Welfare Scheme, the charity organising the Lamma Fun Day (Sat, Nov 23 this year):

Attachments:
Prime-write-up-2-b.jpg
Prime-write-up-2-b.jpg [ 90.62 KiB | Viewed 7882 times ]
Prime-final-menu-b.jpg
Prime-final-menu-b.jpg [ 62.38 KiB | Viewed 7882 times ]
!Prime_4985-wp.jpg
!Prime_4985-wp.jpg [ 205.13 KiB | Viewed 7882 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:35 pm 

We got an very pleasant surprise at lunchtime in The Waterfront Bar & Rest. today, see below.

This was the very best Indian food we've enjoyed on Lamma in a long time. Everything was so tasty, even the simple dal, all dishes so well-balanced and exploding with a wealth of spices and many flavours, without being too hot.

Even Lamma-Por who's usually not a big fan of Indian or Vegetarian food at all tucked in and grabbed morsels from my $75 Vegetarian set as well as finishing most of her own set. Each huge set looks like a mini Indian buffet, see below. Our compliments to their Indian Master Chef!

For some reason, we've underestimated the Indian food in The Waterfront in the past, usually ordering their Western set meals, or choosing from their wide variety of fine Western dishes, or ordering just 1-2 Indian dishes a la carte. Their good-bargain lunch sets are often something tasty and satisfying but basic, like curry chicken rice with soup or salad, available today as well for $68.

But these new Indian sets are something completely different and way above and beyond in quality and taste of what you'd usually get in Indian places in Wanchai, Causeway Bay or Central for a lot more money.

As these new plates are so big and such great value - see prices on their daily changing blackboard below - we'd recommend to share one Indian set and maybe add a desert like their fantastic chocolate volcano. Or order a set each and have enough takeaway for a big dinner at home, like I did.

We'll return very soon or order from their extensive and comprehensive Takeaway Menu.

Attachments:
File comment: Indian Specials @ The Waterfront
!DSC02026-Indian-duo.jpg
!DSC02026-Indian-duo.jpg [ 141.23 KiB | Viewed 8284 times ]
File comment: Lunch Sets, Mon, July 22, 2013
!DSC02028.jpg
!DSC02028.jpg [ 135.05 KiB | Viewed 8284 times ]

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:17 pm 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:03 am 

Thank you for your frank review, Tavis.

You might have noticed that in my little restaurant story above I did NOT talk about the quality of the food at all, but the interesting venue, the rain, the friendly cat....
Better to remain quiet as not to talk badly about somebody or some place, that's my usual motto....

But the word of mouth around the local Chinese community has been pretty devastating so far, not a single thumbs up from the Chinese guests that Lamma-Por has spoken to, even though this new Cha Chaan Teng is the talk of the village right now and many locals were eager to try it right after reopening.

We'll reserve our own judgment till we've had a proper meal there and had a talk with the managers as well. Maybe the usual start-up and staffing problems, but let's give them some time to sort out the food and then give them another chance to get it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:27 am 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

Noted LG.
(I don't mind doing the dirty work)
I really tried to be fair - like I said - I have eaten there 3 times now.
If things improve in the future, I'll make a point of re-posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:53 am 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

I visited there the first day it opened. I had fish fillet with corn and rice (one of my favourite rice boxes) and it was delicious!

The service was great. And 'Emily' who has taken over the business from her family, sat and had a chat. Lovely lady.

Not sure if it was because it was the first day of operation, but I had a lovely time. Will give an update next time I visit :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:36 pm 

A little review of Prime's new Sunday Roasts:
Lamma-zine, Sun 21, 2013

Attachments:
File comment: Beef Sunday Roast
!DSC02004.jpg
!DSC02004.jpg [ 117.15 KiB | Viewed 7204 times ]
File comment: Daily Specials: Roast chicken and Fillet Mignon
!20130718_192326.jpg
!20130718_192326.jpg [ 151.92 KiB | Viewed 7204 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:58 pm 

Jing Jing is open for dinner now! No more closing at 5pm, just in time for Diesel's opening on weekdays. Jing Jing will continue to serve their great breakfasts and lunch specials, of course. Open every day, except Tuesdays.

They organised a little free tasting of new chef Marlon's dishes the other night and the feedback seemed to be all-round very positive. They even invited people from some of the other Western-style YSW restaurants, like Prime and Lamma Grill.
As occasional guests of all these establishments, we're looking forward to some friendly competition between these places. We'll try to figure out which one does the best versions of some of our favourite dishes.

One advantage of Jing Jing we could see right away is something I've been missing in most other YSW restaurants:
a full page of dessert selections in their brand-new menu!

Pictures to follow....

Attachments:
File comment: Marlon, new chef of Jing Jing
!DSC_5388.jpg
!DSC_5388.jpg [ 83.11 KiB | Viewed 8016 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:21 am 

A few pictures of Chef Marlon's new dishes in Jing Jing, now open for dinner except Tue, plus the menu! All pictures by Lovely Sam who titled her Facebook album Food from my restaurant ♥.

Yes, these dishes taste as great as they look like. They've had a food tasting last week and we got to sample most of the dishes. We've already picked our favourites to order next time. A new favourite spot for their full-page Dessert Menu, a rarity in YSW.

Attachments:
Lovely-food.jpg
Lovely-food.jpg [ 171.37 KiB | Viewed 7736 times ]
Menu-Starter.jpg
Menu-Starter.jpg [ 136.6 KiB | Viewed 7736 times ]
Menu-Main-Course.jpg
Menu-Main-Course.jpg [ 130.21 KiB | Viewed 7736 times ]
Menu-Dessert-Selection.jpg
Menu-Dessert-Selection.jpg [ 121.94 KiB | Viewed 7736 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:56 am 

An email addressed to me about the reopened Mr Ma & Restaurant,
from A Lamma Housewife, curious and snorting with indignation like a red flag to a bull. Published here with her permission:

"I would like to ask you and your lovely partner to possibly do a restaurant review and a little detective work on the new(ish) cafe in the middle of YSW where there is now a bunch of ugly red plastic fencing and vast expanse of flat concrete replacing a beautiful Bauhinia tree.

I am so amazed at the sheer drab, ugliness that it is making me unbearably curious as to who had the nerve to set this up and why? They have made absolutely NO attempt to lure customers in, advertise, give themselves a new name, prettify the huge space they are lucky enough to have by having any greenery, or canopies for shade or even using the concrete space out front they have just spent a fortune creating!

Perhaps if you like we could hold a competition to guess its real purpose. I am saying it's a Communist party meeting hall, or a DAB tea room, not open to the public, or a secret service spy room where all the members of the public are monitored on secret CCTV when they walk past. Any other suggestions? They are the PLAIN POLICE. THE ANTI beauty committee, disallowing anything beautiful that enters within (maybe you better not go there with the wife).

I am so sad about the tree and sad that they cut it down without replacing it with anything remotely pretty or green. Such a waste of a potentially useful spot too. It could be a great garden, with flower beds and a lawn in the centre and etc etc .... right now it is a typical example of Lamma shabby/ ugly. Please do, next time you visit, ask them what they intend to do with that space in the centre.

They could hire it out once a month for the handmade market.
Way back in 1989 we had a country fair / pop concert in there with Lamma expats. We were all quite new to the scene and of course the owners were being a bit adventurous allowing us to have a few bands and bric-a-brac and face painting etc in the centre there.

It was great though but it's never happened again. Saskia was the one who organized that I think.
The building was being used by a group of Born Again Christians but they didn't stay very long as I think they relocated to Sok Ku Wan."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:35 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:48 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next