[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Lamma Village Sewerage Phase 2
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:29 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

So we will be required to connect once the sewerage is in place? Any regulations about that? Any workarounds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:28 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:46 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:22 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Marc Antony, it is absolutely compulsory to connect, no way out for house owners, as far as I know, but there are many ways of delaying the connection for flat/house owners,
from ignoring all the notices they'll send you, even claiming that you never saw them or making up various excuses,
to claiming that you can't afford the connection, asking for delays or even a loan from the govt.,
to waiting for the long drawn-out way through the courts when the govt. will finally sue you for non-compliance.

It's probably quite similar to not paying your taxes. It might take them years and they might be waiting quite patiently, but they'll usually get their money in the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:29 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:01 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:53 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:36 am 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:58 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:01 pm 

Last edited by Alan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:37 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:43 pm 

It's the same in the UK. Water company has responsibility up to the boundary of your property, you are responsible for connecting to the drains there.
But the diference is that most of houses in UK were built with connections to main sewers already in situ, they didn't come as an afterthought, so most people don't realise that is even the rule.
Also local authority building inspectors will check and certify the connection complies with building code before any trenches etc are filled in. It involves performing smoke tests and putting a camera down the pipe and is very thorough. I know this because years ago I had to reroute my ain drain run due to a house renovation.
Who is going to regulate the connection ot the main sewerage system here to make sure all the connections are up to scratch? I somehow doubt hte testing will be as thorough before approval notices/permissions are issued?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Generally how often do septic tanks need to be cleaned out? I have never seen it being done or heard anyone talking about having it done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:43 pm 

Info leaflets for flat owners, from the "Sewage Connection Mini-exhibition" in the Rural Committee last weekend in the Rural Committee Bldg. opposite HSBC, see below. Still available from their literature rack at the entrance.

Plus some info not on the leaflet I got from the civil servants from various depts. present in the mini-exhibition:

Cost per Village House typically below $20,000, to be shared by the flat owners. Govt. will advise in general, but NOT recommend contractors or get involved in the connections, relying on the local boys to handle it all, including promoting their connection services to the house owners.

Village Reps and local politicians are supposed to inform the house owners. But have you ever heard from your village rep or even know who he is?

Letters to the first batch of houses to be connected has been issued, list of addresses available from Drainage & Sewage Dept. My neighbour is listed, but not my house.
Completion of YSW Sewage Treatment Plant at end of this month, Sok Kwu Wan Plant mid 2014. The very first houses in YSW have been notified that they should start to think about connecting, mainly the most polluting businesses along Main Street.
Experiences from other islands shows that it'll take over 5 years to connect less than 50% of houses. Enforcement to connect is similar to illegal structures, meaning very patient, long-term and rarely ever an enforcement law suit (to "maintain social harmony").
Govt. loans for connection costs available for application.

2nd stage of the sewage pipes has not even been gazetted yet to find a contractor, still under negotiation in Govt. This stage means another 7km of pipes being dug up over the next several years, starting next year, connecting most Village Houses to the top of Po Wah Yuen, Tai Peng Old Village, Tai Wan Old Village and even Hung Shing Yeh, but not Pak Kok.

The Sok Kwu Wan Sewage Treatment Plant - that massive "landslip" in the Ling Kok Shan hillside, in-between Sok Kwu Wan and Mo Tat Wan, will have a capacity of max. 2,500 people, several times as many as are living down there now. But it won't be big enough for the Govt.'s housing plans for the ex-Quarry on the opposite side of Picnic Bay. Those suggested 5,000 people would get their own Sewage Treatment Plant.

Leaflet:
"Connections to Sewers, Eng - Page 1" - Who Will Pay?
"Connections to Sewers, Eng - Page 2" - Why Connect? How to Connect?

Attachments:
Sewer-Connection-Scheme-Eng.jpg
Sewer-Connection-Scheme-Eng.jpg [ 269.65 KiB | Viewed 3250 times ]
Sewer-Connection-Scheme-Chi.jpg
Sewer-Connection-Scheme-Chi.jpg [ 239.41 KiB | Viewed 3250 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:39 am 

Email from the AECOM, the consultants for the 2nd phase of the sewerage piping connecting almost every house on North Lamma (except Pak Kok). Another 9.1km of sewerage pipes to be laid over the next several years, starting mid-2014, adding to the only 3+km laid so far in the last several years, mostly through the village center. If there's been no pipes laid to your house yet, they'll come to you soon. See detailed maps higher up in this topic (sewerage maps and details)

"We are pleased to inform you that we have obtained the funding approval from the Public Works Subcommittee of Finance Committee under Legislative Council. We are now in the process of tender invitation for the works contract, which comprises construction of approximately 9.1km of gravity sewers in 13 unsewered areas in Yung Shue Wan of Lamma Island, a sewage pumping station and 50m of twin rising mains at O Tsai.

Subject to successful completion of the tendering exercise, the works contract is anticipated to be awarded in December 2013. However, we do not expect major construction activities to be carried out on site in the first few months. Once the contractor is on board, we will work out a detailed construction programme taking into account the contractor's resources, site constraints, consultation with the local residents and other relevant factors."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:26 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

I'm still confused regarding the 'Sewage Works'. Years ago, we were told that Phase 1 and 2 would be started and completed within a particular time frame.

Then they finished 'Phase 1'... then realised that the 'paths' couldn't accomodate Phase 2 Sewage works, as not enough space for VV's and pedestrians. After Phase 1 finished a couple of years ago, they have been trying to buy up private land to continue.

WTF.. a billion dollar project and they didn't know this before they started???

Is this the norm in HK? Start a billion dollar project which will take years, but not even look at the whole project for the duration?

And now are waiting for a 'tender' to be approved?

Sigh......

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:48 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

Phase 2 is about to commence in December 2013 and estimated completion time is 5 years hence. Its a $340 million project so expect plenty of noise to compete with the VV's and circular saws.The good news is that the locals are going to have to give up some of the land they have sequestered.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:44 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:34 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

i am looking forward to phase 2 because the septic tank of my house now needs pumping ever 6 months. The leach field is totally saturated. Absent landlords mean that i and a couple of other flat owners are shouldering the cost. Every time i experience a flooded bathroom i have to lay out money upfront and then spend weeks chasing the other owners. As usual, too many village houses were built, not enough consideration was given to the type of ground on which they were built. They build to sell, so obviously they don't care about any future problems. And the government is still giving permission to build more village houses, instead of waiting until the sewerage plant is finished and pipes are in place. It's insane. Given that there are so many absent flat owners, i wonder who will force them to share the cost of connecting to the main sewage pipe, if 2 owners out of 6 want to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next