[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Lamma property story in Squarefoot mag
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:14 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

I just got two more interview requests, one "About cultural diversity on Lamma Island" and one about Lamma property for Squarefoot magazine.

Checking out Squarefoot's website, there's not a single property available for rent on Lamma and no flats for sale, but 2 houses for sale, one the infamous Village House which has been up for sale and auction for several years now, increased now to $21 millions, not a single picture or any details, listed as a NEW ad on Squarefoot!

Plus a nice-looking house on the opposite side of the bay from Sok Kwu Wan, making for a pretty long walk to the ferry:

http://www.squarefoot.com.hk/search/?type=buy&area=4&district=119&price_min=&price_max=&size_min=&size_max=&bedroom=&floor_zone=&layout=&keyword=&x=36&y=10

Gohome.com.hk - "Hong Kong's No.1 Property Website, Over 100,000 property listings in Hong Kong" - does not have a single Lamma property for rent or sale. Only AsiaXpat seems to advertise some Lamma properties, usualy directly from the owner.

Here are the questions from Squarefoot. I'm sure many of you would have much better answers than mine, please comment:

1. Why do you choose to live here?
2. What kind of house are you living in?
3. What do and don't you like about the Lamma?
4. Which groups will find the island attractive? expats, locals, those with pets/ kids?
5. How would you compare the Lamma with other alternatives such as Cheung Chau, Mui Wo, Discovery Bay, etc.
6. What do you think of the "hippie" label on islanders?
7. Some said the island has a close-knit community. Do you agree?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:20 pm 

Because it is beautiful, quiet, 25mins from HK and pretty cheap

Small house

I love the unspoiled pathways, the sea, the beaches, the wildlife, the community and the sunshine when the rest of HK is in mist.
I don't like the dog cr*p everywhere, the snakes, the way the developers get their way eventually because the local authority rarely listen to the views of residents affected and that large areas, esp in YSW look like a dump.

4. Which groups will find the island attractive? expats, locals, those with pets/ kids?
Anyone who wants to feel remote from the bustle, whilst actually being pretty close. Anyone who enjoys wildlife and wants their kids to grow up with a sense of adventure.

5. How would you compare the Lamma with other alternatives such as Cheung Chau, Mui Wo, Discovery Bay, etc.
Can't say I know most of them so can't comment.

What - no sewers? No cars? No supermarket chain? No skyscrapers? No MTR? If that makes me a hippie then so be it.

I've certainly found it to be that way, very friendly. As with any community you have to be prepared to make an effort - take up painting, go to church, become a regular at a bar, join a beach clean-up - get to know people.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:17 am 

Rent refugees fleeing HK Island's rents. Instead of moving to Kowloon side, we chose a much nicer living environment just 25 minutes from Central.

Standard 700sqft Village House, top floor w/balcony and rooftop garden, a nice flat that would be unaffordable for us in town.

3. What do and don't you like about Lamma?
Same as the other correspondents above and below this post.

All of these.
But there's the vast majority of people, especially HK people, who would find Lamma NOT attractive to live on. Check out my WARNINGS before moving to Lamma Island:

I've only lived on HK Island and Lamma, so can't compare the other islands.
Each island is very different and has a different vibe. I've got friends who prefer to live on the other islands for various reasons. Visit these places to get a feel, talk to residents, maybe even stay for one night in a cheap "holiday flat" to get a good impression of the environment and lifestyle on each island.

Nonsense these days, ancient history, last millennium.

Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:44 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:51 pm 

Do the answers above really promote Lamma to readers of a luxury living magazine like Squarefoot which does not list a single Lamma flat for rent on their property website and only two village houses for sale, one of them in Po Wah Yuen at $21 million!

Did you ever check out my WARNINGS before moving to Lamma Island linked here and above?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:55 pm 

Not going to reply because I'm selfish and don't want Lamma to become another HK Island. At least my big Tai Peng hill is keeping development away, tourists away and rent down. Also keeping my weight down!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:30 pm 

Replies from http://www.LammaFlats.com who also got contacted independently by the same Squarefoot.com.hk reporter: They are renting out several fully-equipped flats for at least half a year, so these answers promote Lamma much more than my own replies as a tenant.

"1. Why do you choose to live here?
Its great to be outside of the city, live in a quieter place and have plenty of green around us. Lamma also has a wonderful sense of community

We live in a village house, the ground floor of a 3 storey building, with a patio and garden

I love living there, I’ve been there for 15 years and my husband Chris has lived on Lamma for 32 years, so there is not much we don’t like.
I like the sense of community, the space, the walking trails, the beaches, the safety, the fact that there are no cars....
It is occasionally challenging to live there in the rainy season.

Many different groups of people enjoy Lamma - as long as they like slightly quieter and slower pace of life than in the city.

I’ve never lived on any of the other islands, it is certainly a less ‘organized’ than DB.

Come to Lamma and look, we are a relaxed island on the weekends, but the large majority of people are professionals and work in Hong Kong. I think the hippie label is left over with people who haven’t been to Lamma since the 80’s.

7. Do you find commuting a problem?
Commuting is not a problem at all. Its a great way to get to work, I would much rather sit on a ferry for 25 minutes and read the paper or do some work than stand on an MTR or crowded bus or even drive. The ferries are frequent and only take 25 minutes.

8. I can hardly find anything about Lamma property online, but one or two occasional ad placed by a private landlord. Is there not a property agent which specializes in this? Where can I get such info?
As I mentioned above, there are a number of agents – if you come to Lamma you can speak to them.

9. Some tenants complained about the surging rents on the island. What's the situation/ trend now when compared to one or two years ago? Is the small supply of new houses much to blame?
From what I hear, there has been an increase in rents, but I think this is the same everywhere in Hong Kong. Our rental prices have stayed fairly steady for the past 2 years. They vary slightly depending on the length of stay.

10. What kind of properties are out there that are popular? (village houses/ studio flats/ any luxury development?)
All types – there is a new luxury development, I’m not sure if it is open yet."
[Not open yet and no opening date announced at all]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:28 am 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

It’s cheaper and quieter than Mid Levels, where I lived previously. Also, I have a large dog.

I live in a small ground floor flat.

For likes, see #1 above. What I don’t like is that the houses are poorly built and not insulated and it gets very cold on Lamma in winter. Also it’s impossible to commute and stay dry when it rains and the air conditioning on the ferry is way too cold, so I used to have a lot of colds when I worked in town. There’s no emergency medical care after office hours, which has obvious disadvantages, especially for those with children (the helicopter service can take a long time to get you to the nearest hospital in an emergency). On the plus side, Lamma’s in the catchment area for Queen Mary Hospital, which is probably the best in Hong Kong.

Lots of expats live on Lamma, especially those with young children, which is a bit surprising given the lack of emergency medical care.

As far as I know, it’s similar to to the other islands, apart from DB of course. Lamma also has a large power station, if you like that sort of thing.

It depends what you call a ‘hippy’, but there are a few dubious characters with no visible means of support. The police certainly think Lamma’s a hot bed of drugs though, given the frequency of raids and busts on the island.

No, but I work on-line at home. When I did commute, it was a pain when it rained, though.

8. I can hardly find anything about Lamma property online, but one or two occasional ad placed by a private landlord. Is there not a property agent which specializes in this? Where can I get such info?

There are many property agents on the island, but not all of them are trustworthy.

9. Some tenants complained about the surging rents on the island. What's the situation/ trend now when compared to one or two years ago? Is the small supply of new houses much to blame?

My rent has been stable for the past 2-3 years or so, but I believe some of the newer places are ambitiously priced, to say the least.

10. What kind of properties are out there that are popular? (village houses/ studio flats/ any luxury development?)

Shoddily built small village houses and flats. There’s a new ‘luxury development’ that has remained empty since its completion several years ago, which sums up Lamma, really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:04 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

I prefer birds to car horns, trees to concrete, natural ventilation to compulsive air-conditioning. I like an unblocked green view

I live in a small ground floor flat with a patio and a garden

I like the fact that i can spend time in my garden and go for a pleasant walk any time i feel like it. As i hate traffic and noise, living in the city doesn't appeal to me.
Unfortunately village houses are poorly built and not insulated. The lack of planning has created a messy sprawl of hideous village houses built too close to one another, poorly conceived government projects that are completely out of touch with Lamma's rural character have created eyesores, and future development plans are very worrying. The natural environment is under constant threat due to lack of education and disregard for nature.

I often invite my townie friends over. Due to working in the evening, my social life on Lamma is pretty non-existent.

Lamma has a smaller population, which i prefer.

It's a tired cliche

No, i like commuting by ferry because i can sit and read a book.

There are property agents on the island.

I bought my flat.

Very few village houses are for rent or sale, it's easier to find flats, though very few of them are well located, well designed and have open views.

Post subject: lamma
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:44 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

I like being part of a community. Quiet, friendly and lovely surroundings.
A village house,(thin walls) but friendly people.
I love the activities that go on in each neighbourhood each village has interesting things to offer. People dumping on green areas makes me cross, especially as I am here to enjoy the beauty that Lamma holds.
Everybody who enjoys nature, socializing or meeting new people would enjoy this diverse community
Have friends that live or have lived in these places over the years, just doesn't sound like our community at all.
Rubbish, I'm not a hippy, i enjoy simple pleasures in life and lead a simple existence.
I agree, I love being part of a small community and not just a face, in a lift in a block of flats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:24 am 

This bilingual Square Foot Magazine feature story has been published a while back, but the reporter has only informed me about it the other day. Lots of quotes from Lammaites:

http://www.squarefoot.com.hk/news/153/pressure-points/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:29 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:41 am 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:22 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Post subject: