[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Lands Dept. puts removal notices on bikes parked on the pier
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:31 pm 

This morning I collected my bike from the pier, only to find a removal notice placed on my bicycle. It must be removed by Wednesday or face destruction.

Is this normal? Is it just to clear out old abandoned items, or are they 'clamping down' on this illegal activity?

If it's the former, 2 days seems very short notice. If it's the latter - god help us all. Although maybe I can negotiate a reduction in rent?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:17 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Usually, (and they do this periodically) I think it is just to get rid of the broken down, abandoned ones but given the state of affairs regarding the bike park there could possibly be something a little more devious going on. :) Any comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:55 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

It's the normal procedure, every couple of years, but the timing is suspicious, given that the cycle park reclamation now being gazetted.

Having spent a few hours putting our own notices on bikes a few weeks ago, I looked at every bike on the pier and actually the number of derelict bikes is quite low, barely a half dozen I think.

It's all part of the general contempt that the government treats cyclists with. They provide no legal parking spaces, and if you park your bike out of the way somewhere, they declare it "illegal occupation" and just steal it and sell it for scrap.

You can't get it back by any means. No matter if it's a $10,00 carbon fibre frame, it's sold in a batch to some scrap dealer for $20 each.
They'd never dare do that for a motor vehicle.

Attachments:
pierclearance120326.jpg
pierclearance120326.jpg [ 104.9 KiB | Viewed 5050 times ]

Last edited by Alan on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:00 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:33 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:14 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:23 am 

Here is the ordinance in question:

http://www.legislation.gov.hk/blis_pdf.nsf/6799165D2FEE3FA94825755E0033E532/0DC8528C353E7043482575EE00304946/$FILE/CAP_28_e_b5.pdf

I'm not a lawyer, but it's plainly obvious to me that this ordinance is intended to refer to illegal structures (defined as stilt, platform, fence and any other thing erected on or over land) and property contained therein, and to invoke this legislation to confiscate parked bikes is disingenuous to say the least.

Please can anyone tell me what steps I can take to register my complaint?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:37 am 

A full government task force descended on the pier this morning at 9 AM. They were met by several interested locals, including myself and Liz Gower.

Liz gave them a good earfull on how stupid and unjust the whole procedure was, but of course they just shrugged it off.
There were about 50 or 60 bikes left on the pier at that stage.

Liz and I took 20 or so bikes that were not attached to the railings and moved them to the library area, where many other bikes had been parked.

Meanwhile the government workers were using boltcutters and took 30 or 40 bikes that had had notices attached -- they had a photographic record of bikes that had been stickered -- and loaded them on two VVs and eventually took them off to the waste collection facility on the reclamation to be dumped in a landfill.

Liz recognised one bike belonging to a friend, but was not allowed to retrieve it.

There was a reporter and a photographer from the SCMP to observe and since there were a few dramatic confrontations, it should get reasonable coverage.

So if you lost your bike today, check over at the library; if it's not there, you're out of luck.

Attachments:
File comment: Lamma's version of Tiananmen Tank man
P638.jpg
P638.jpg [ 66.6 KiB | Viewed 5175 times ]
File comment: Two VVs of bikes for the scrapheap.
P635.jpg
P635.jpg [ 92.67 KiB | Viewed 5175 times ]
File comment: Liz trying to save a friend's bike
p634.jpg
p634.jpg [ 103.52 KiB | Viewed 5175 times ]

Last edited by Alan on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:46 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:53 am 

Last edited by Alan on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:01 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:13 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:22 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:44 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:32 pm 

Someone followed the VVs to the waste transfer station, where the bikes were destroyed in a trash compacter.

See http://www.flickr.com/photos/livinglamma/?saved=1

Two new bikes
{L_IMAGE}

I remember those two quite new bikes, likely a married couple's, carefully covered in plastic, hooked up on the railings and locked together out of anyone's way.

At least $2000 worth turned into scrap metal.

Bikes being crushed
{L_IMAGE}

That'll show those illegal occupiers!

They should have parked them in the legally sanctioned parking area, in Mui Wo (closest parking area in the Islands District).

Don't despair. I'm sure Yu Lai Fan has a plan for somewhere safe we can put our bikes when she calls the bike terminators in again.
Support the CPA, or have your bike destroyed.

Last edited by Alan on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:33 pm 

This is ridiculous. I bet YLF is shaking her legs with a smirk on the face while this is happening. I don't have a bike but this is......... :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:12 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

We'd love to hear from affected people! Please post your comments here.
In the meantime, bilingual notice submitted by Living Lamma:

"Did you lose your bike today?

Members of the public tried to save them for you. Some were moved to the area next to the library, but two village vehicle loads were taken to the waste transfer station where they were immediately thrown into the trash compactor to be sent to landfill.

If you lost your bike, we would like to hear from you. Please write to livinglamma@yahoo.com

您有沒有遺失您的單車?

我們的成員曾嘗試救回單車,雖然部份已經轉移到圖書館附近,但仍然有填滿兩部VV車的單車,被送到垃圾轉運站,經壓縮後棄置。

如果您遺失您的單車,請聯絡我們:livinglamma@yahoo.com"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:28 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Such a waste of bikes...and landfill space...and tax payers money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:28 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Let's all write to CY Leung - see if he really is a man of the people as he claims

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:02 pm 

I parked my bike there this morning, on my way in to work. I hadn't used it in about a week and there had never been a notice put on it.

I happened to read the lamma forums on my way in and immediately called my girlfriend to retrieve it, which she kindly did (and believe me, appropriate chocolates and wine were brought back from Central!)

Just curious, would it actually have been removed since it never had a notice put on it? When I got home today I saw a number of bikes parked at the pier still.

Looking at those trash compactor photos makes me so angry! What can we do?!