[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Lamma Fun Day
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Lamma Fun Day
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:49 am 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

That should be very easy to find out. It's a public, open and well-managed charity. It was something like $215,000 raised for the charity last year, net after expenses, I think.

It's a very professional non-profit organisation with all volunteers: website.

But just ask them directly for these yearly figures that have been published widely over the 9 years of the Fun Day, including in Lamma-zine stories and in these forums. The detailed fund raising web page with figures for the last 8 years is here.

Contact info@childwelfarescheme.org.

The final list of auction items has just been announced: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:22 pm 

Another sunny and great Fun Day!

Who's got photos? Looking for photos for the Lamma-zine and the official Fun Day website

Email them to LammaGung@gmail.com or send me your Flickr/Picasa/web gallery links!
Any size photos welcome, no need to resize them before emailing them.

Plus Fun Day videos, who's got short videos?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:30 am 

I've received loads of Fun Day photos from five people already.

They're all online or linked from the Lamma-zine story, Oct 28:
http://www.compunicate.com/Lamma-zine/includes_news.html#Oct27

There's enough room for many more photos. They'll also be featured on the Lamma Fun Day website. Full credits and links, of course.

Email me YOUR FUn Day photos or send me the link to your web photo gallery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:44 pm 

Lamma Fun Day: 26/10/2008 - by Nick the Bookman

Sorry everyone. I'm a bit late for today's show. I'm stuck in the middle of a situation that shows no signs of an early conclusion and have only just made it to the Power Station Beach. It's mid-afternoon and I've collected some off-island friends for a (truncated) Lamma Fun Day 2008. Part of my reluctance to attend without support was a rumour that I was this year's Bobsy ... however, I've arrived unshaven and unscathed on the beach. It's 1645 and Nude have started their set. It's a joyful/sadful occasion (What? You don't like "sadful"? That's dread to hear) Anyway, it's Nude's Final Gig. Not only for 2008, but for The Foreseeable Future.

I'm front left of the stage where the Nude nonet are kicking out the funkjams. Justin at back on drums, The middle row is Richard on assorted keyboards. Kevin on bass. Mark, the original guitarist, has flown in for the day Specially For This Gig. He's been missed, but slots in seamlessly with the rest of the band. Barnaby is on percussion at stage right. In front of Richard are The Incredible Mr Tony on his saucy saxaphone and twinbro Sam on the trusty trumpet. Lastly, Donna and Paul share and alternate the vocals and raps. All the tunes are familiar to long term Nudists. (That's a nicer way of saying I don't have the set-list, but Kevin has the details). The band are choogling along contentedly. Drummer Neil is standing by Parksy and John who are handling the mixing/music duties. Tamara and Lizzie are among the luscious ladies grooving ankle deep in the sand. Then the generator stops... about 50 people notice. The beach is packed and 90% oblivious. My mates, Karina, Derek, David and Christiane are in a beer queue somewhere.

The power's back on. Kevin does a 24-bar bass solo and kickstarts the band into action. Donna is singing "Where do I go to let my soul to take me to a brighter day" Sort of an extended a capella meets an improv funk jam. Moving, especially when Donna says that's the last time she's singing that tune (and by implication all her other ones as well. Retirement is beckoning). It's a fine performance by the band. And it's possibly their largest audience. The music is a fine blend of horny horns, Stereo Mc's, Aussie band D.I.G., some proto-blues and George Clinton funkoid shit. I've missed a few of their gigs in the past, but this one is a great return to basics and a fine swansong. Good memories and melodies.

TitCo's earthly representatives on Lamma - that's Jim and Les - are hogging the mikes to conduct the final auction. Rodney, Delboy and Granpa would be proud. The prizes include an Artlab voucher for $500. Two tickets for Cirque du Soleil go for about $1700. Someone stumps up a grand for a kid's party, hosted by Kinko (man, this typewriter. I mean Ciaran!). Ciaran the Clown! Jim say's "he's brilliant". He is. Also totally trustworthy and toilet-trained and that's the truth. I only put the "Kinko" bit in because I know he's got the song. And likes it.

The auction has wrapped.It's about 1800 hours, getting dark, and Red Star Rising are ready to star, buoyed by a rising ripple of approval. It's a new line up. Steve is ever-present on guitar and vox. Drummer Neil capably fills Hugh's old seat behind the kit. Alex the bassist is absent. Has he left the band? Away on a business trip?. Anyway, Ibu(?) is a more than adequate replacement for the show. The sound is a bit ropey to start. Digital surround sound ambitions come up against the analogue mono mixing. That's not a diss. It's more do what you can with the trusty old equipment that is there. Things improve. Douglas, the organiser, opines that this is "...like a mini-Glastonbury".

The set list is mainly Greatest Hits. Opening with "Megaphone Man", sprinting at a furious pace to the "Finishing Line" and collapsing into "When Worlds Collide" (the science fiction number, according to Steve). New lows of menacing grungiosity are plumbed in "Red Claw". It's about the closest I'll get to seeing Blue Cheer live and things just rock from there. My favourite track is always "Shopping Malls" and this is a fine SHORT version. Steve says "That's the single version. Nick knows the long one". (see previous Lamma Fun Day reviews) There's a fine drum solo by Neil, reminiscent of Santana at Woodstock. The final song is the equally splendid "Escalator Girls" which plays out to a decreasing audience, diminishing into the darkness. Karina et al have missed it all. Were the beer queues that bad?

As I join the diaspora, I see random elements of The Curs, Trans-noodle and Bone Table deciding who's on next. Headliners El Destroyo don't seem to be anywhere in sight, so I call it a night. Later I found out they played about 2130 to an audience of three dogs and a dude (roughly speaking) A pity. They really should have had the twilight spot, taken by Red Star Rising for maximum enjoyment. I guess Steve still remembers his abortive headliners gig from 2007 and wanted to get in early. I hope El Destroyo can make a return gig, but they do perform regularly around Hong Kong. They're worth checking out if you're into hellzapopping grooveabilly rock and roll. As for me, I've fallen over again (at least I didn't walk into a tree), got sand in my pants and it's itchy and scratchy time. Time to boogaloo home. Will try to do better this year.

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:46 pm 

The Lamma Fun Day website has gone offline a while ago, including all the photo galleries. Fortunately, most of them (and a lot more) still exist on this website.

Any news on the future (or lack thereof) of the Lamma Fun Day from anybody?
It'll need a major community effort to revive it and work has to start pretty soon to make it happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:01 pm 

Latest news from Child Welfare Scheme, the charity behind the Lamma Fun Day:
It's on again this year! Sun, Nov 18.

But first, the yearly Funkraiser is happening on May 11 in Hyde:

Attachments:
Funkraiser-12-release.gif
Funkraiser-12-release.gif [ 71.26 KiB | Viewed 1701 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:34 pm