[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Dogs Fall Victim to 'Poisoning'
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:56 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:32 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Another feedback from a Dr, after Dr Hans' and Dr John's comments above. I've asked Dr Mike Hilditch from the Wanchai Animal Clinic, an ex-Lammaite, for a writeup of his recent experiences trying to save poisoned Lamma dogs:

"Over the past week I have treated two dogs at my clinic suffering from the symptoms of Paraquat poisoning. I have been asked to write a few notes on my experience:

Two dogs from Lamma Island were presented at the Wanchai Animal Clinic on the 28th and 30th of September. They appeared to be suffering from severe gastroenteritis. They had been vomiting, anorexic and were about 10% dehydrated. A routine blood analysis indicated that they were in early kidney failure and moderate shock due to the fluid loss. Both dogs responded well to fluid and electrolyte therapy and appeared reasonably bright for the duration of the treatment. Only one dog had a little diarrhoea on one day and there was no more vomiting after the initial treatments. Both dogs remained off their food for the duration.

On the last day their breathing became more labored and at no time did we observe any coughing or notice any fluid accumulation in the lungs. Both dogs died overnight and appeared fairly bright the day before, the owners taking them for a walk in the local park. I have conducted a post mortem on both dogs and it tentatively appears that they have died from lung failure. The lungs, liver and kidneys had severe damage. I have taken tissue samples that have been sent overseas for histo-pathological examination. The Hong Kong police have collected tissue samples and will also conduct tests. It is likely, given the symptoms and from my observations at the post mortem, that these dogs died from Paraquat toxicity.

Paraquat is a widely available commercial non-selective herbicide that is commonly used in the farming industry. It is frequently purchased under the trade name ‘Gramoxone’, to be diluted and sprayed on weeds before planting. It is very quickly absorbed by the plant and has no residual effect. The diluted form that is sprayed is also unlikely to be toxic. Severe toxicity only happens when the concentrated form is swallowed.

The ingested poison will initially cause severe irritation to the throat, oesophagus and stomach which accounts for the vomiting. The absorbed poison will then cause kidney and heart damage. With a high dose the animal will die within a day or two from kidney or heart failure. Dogs that survive the first few days will die from deteriorating lung function. The two dogs we treated survived five and seven days respectively and both displayed exactly the same symptoms. There is no antidote for this poison.
My heartfelt sympathies go out to the owners and friends of the dogs involved."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:41 pm 

An update about Alba the Filmmaker's 2nd dog.

"Sad news, Ginger has reached her final hours. She will be put to sleep this morning at the vet's clinic."

She's changed the dedication in her "Lamma My Island" film, almost an idyllic & very positive "dogumentary" featuring many Lamma dogs and their owners. It will be shown at the Marbella, Spain, and Lucerne, Switzerland, film festivals later this month:

"The director dedicates this film to the memory of two of its stars, her dogs Guapa and Ginger who were tragically killed, along with many other pets, by a mysterious poisoner in September 2011, soon after the film's completion.
Maybe Lamma isn't such an ideal paradise after all."

One more case:

Widely popular GoGo passed away last night in the clinic, most likely from the same poison....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:25 pm 

Poster just received from the Lamma Police.
Pretty early, but if you can make the 6:40pm ferry from Central, you'll be OK.
Tough questions are expected to be directed at the experts in attendance, especially SPCA, AFCD and the "Fight Crime Committee".

{L_IMAGE}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:55 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

It's good the authorities seem to be making an effort, I just hope they get the message across to the likely suspects (I imagine John is correct). Given how lethal paraquat is, the best way of preventing this happening again is to stop the poisoner/s from doing it again. Always walking dogs on a lead is reasonable in the village centre but isn't practical all the time on the rural paths. Even on a lead, a dog can easily swallow a piece of poisoned bait before you can react.

Totally agree with John that dogs shouldn't be allowed to wander freely without their owners, and there are a few owners guilty of this. All of this is no consolation to the poor owners who have lost their pets. I wonder if the poisoner has any idea how much misery he/she has caused?

Last edited by Marc Antony on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:08 pm 

Heard the dog who recently died was walked on leash and didn't eat anything -- but she died the same.

She was walked on the path from Yung Shue Long Village to the fire station.

AVOID THAT AREA if you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:31 pm 
Official Court Village Fool

Is that the way behind Mr Kabab's by the Beer Garden to the Cemetary? Why doesn't this "farmer", just put up a FENCE? Infact buy the fence from "Rich Million" and put up some metal posts, and take those gaudy things from my garden, so I can continue to do my work so I can get this program done, and give the Philopenos a nice beauty to party? Just string some patio lanterns, lol.

Post subject: DOG KILLER
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:34 pm 

We, dog lover have to understand, our dog is not a pets, is our best companion,
don't just point your finger to the dog killer , never let the dog walk and wondering on the street by themselves, they just like kids in our homes, you don't let your Kids out by themselves and eat garbage on street and go to toilet everywhere don't you !!!!

Anything happen to the dogs outside of your house and out of your sight, is your responsibility ! we have to remember not all persons like dogs.........

Post subject: poisonings
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:36 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Are there a number of farmers in that area? The farmer that I chat with everyday seems a very nice tolerant fellow, always has animals comfortably roaming amongst his veggies (cats mostly) always has a smile and a wave for people passing. I would hate for him to be thought of as a pet killer and ostracized if there are other old, uneducated farmers in that area. However if it is him, as old as he may be, he needs to be educated and dealt with by the law!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:14 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject: Help need
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:25 pm 

Post subject: Re: Help need
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:45 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Post subject: BAN PARAQUAT!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:50 pm 

Attachments:
BAN PARAQUAT.jpg
BAN PARAQUAT.jpg [ 116.16 KiB | Viewed 4085 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:38 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:26 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:54 am 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:19 pm 
Brown-Nosed Sycophant of the Month

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:35 pm 

Post subject: All the cops
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:51 pm 

Did the 15-20 Police officers that were yesterday wearing camo and gathering for a field expedition from the YSW police container have anything to do with this?

Post subject: Re: All the cops
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:27 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator