Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:07 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

VERY URGENT

Living Lamma calls all Lamma residents to register as voters before July 16.

The next District Council elections will be crucial. We can't say more at this stage.

Geographical contituency voters must be 18 or above, HK permanent residents and have a Lamma postal address. Even if you have only recently moved to Lamma you are eligible to vote here. Persuade all your friends to register as well.

One vote can make the difference between saving Lamma's rural character and natural environment, or losing Lamma to the concrete lobby.

Many people have lived on Lamma for years but never bothered to register as voters because there were no decent candidates to vote for. That may soon change.

So please ask your Lamma friends if they are registered to vote in their current geographical constituency, if not urge them to do so before July 16. If they have changed their postal address, they need to update their record.

Here you can find the PDF form. Print it out, fill it in and send it by mail or fax. Postage is free
http://www.reo.gov.hk/en/voter​/application.htm#gc

I tried to see if the online registration is easy enough to suggest that option but my laptop didn't allow that. See if it works for you
http://www.voterregistration.g​ov.hk/eng/home.htm

I believe in participation, not only representation, but without a sympathetic district councillor protecting Lamma from the concrete lobby becomes a lot more difficult.

Living Lamma and Land Justice Coalition are working together to ensure that the next district council election will be contested and voters will finally have a choice.
Register and spread the message!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:30 am 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

i have a few forms left if anybody wants one, please pm me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:43 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the District Council elections.
Some people told me that they are not interested in voting because "Beijing will choose the candidate anyway". We are not talking about the Chief Executive here. The elections are very important to Lamma because the district councillor is supposed to represent the interests of Lamma residents, and more crucially a good district councillor can make all the difference in how government funding is allocated (more concrete as opposed to cleaning up Lamma, landscaping, initiating recycling schemes, environmental education schemes etc).

If you care for Lamma and want to preserve the island's natural beauty, your vote counts.
PS. More forms can be found at Lamma mama and Green Cottage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:51 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

I finally registered, I hope. So, will there be a gweilo candidate for Lamma?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:10 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Well, a gwailo candidate would have absolutely no chance. So let's see if they can find a bilingual candidate for Lamma & Po Toi Island's "District Councillor for Non-Indigenous Residents" till the deadline (Sep 16 deadline). The vast majority of registered voters are Chinese, as few non-Chinese residents have ever bothered to register so far, I think.

There was no contest at the last election, 4 years ago. But there was a very viable, personable and fully bilingual candidate 8 years ago, from the Civic Party. Alex Chan managed to get around 30% of votes, which was a surprising and encouraging achievement as he was new, unknown locally and didn't even live here. The Lamma-zine supported him a lot back then via forum posts, stories and interviews. I've never heard anything from him again since then.

Let's hope for some interesting and exciting election campaigns this time. Any potential candidate (ideally a bilingual Lammaite) standing against Lammadonna will be facing a most difficult task and many hurdles to overcome.

Register now (or update your particulars, like your address), only 4 days left!
It's easy and quick, especially via online Voter Registration and you might be able to make a real difference this time!

Elections will be held for all District Councillors, including our powerful Indigenous District Councilor, currently Chairman Chan of the Rural Committee, on Nov 6.

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:13 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

You don't need to register for every election. Register once (with your current address) and you can vote in every subsequent election.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:45 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

i have registered too

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:50 am 
Official Court Village Fool

I'm new to Hong Kong and Lamma so I don't know how elections work, or the political system I'm trying to Wiki it, but it's all confusing.

From what I can tell (please fill in the gaps of my understanding thanks advance).
1/2 of the city council is chosen by Hong Kong, the legislature, and the other 1/2 is hand picked by Beijing. some parties support political process, others are very aligned with Beijing. the Chief Executive can be chosen from Hong Kong, by must have lived here for over 30 years or some such.

now this 1/2 of the legislative assembly are they represented by individual seats (I'm using the Commonwealth, Riding Member of Parlament thinking herE), if so is Lamma a seat? I also heard that, each village selects it's own council, like the individual leaders here in Yeung Shui Wan, are divided into many different villages, and they meet in that big square building? When do these guys campaign? and I've only lived here for about 3 months. I registered for voting at Immergration Tower, when I got my card.

If so, if I wanted to advocate for adding glass for recycling in Hong Kong, (torecycle beer bottles, ie old Paint thinner bottles usually in beer bottles). Then who do I talk to. That sort of thing?