[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - giant Cross on Lamma Island question.
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:06 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:35 pm 
Official Court Village Fool

The Joshua Church of the Cannan Church seeks to post up a Giant Cross on the nearby hills, where there is barren of couse (not to spoil nature). They might, or I suggested also to put a recreational resting area (like the ones around the Winds), for people to rest like a park. This project however wont' be near initiating within 5 years as the JCC is naturally concentrating on growth and surivival (growth). It has made tremendous progress in the past year. One of the things they would like to ask Lammites themselves if they permit this project.

They already set up a cross in Easter, and took it down. They found a empty space. The Village authorities asked why they took it down.

This might be a good community project between Lamma Church, Joshua Church and Lady of Lourdes.

So would Joshua Church of Cannan Church be allowed to erect post a Giant cross (to be seen from the city. On barren unused land?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:03 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:50 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:33 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:06 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:48 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:11 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Post subject: Cross
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:19 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:46 pm 

Post subject: cross
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:42 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:31 pm 

That's the Joshua church that did that on Easter.

About all this religious bashing, I though you guys were peace loving hippies and stuff? Why all the bad vibes? Stay Zen mannnn. It was a retorical question. Besides, I'm curious though as I walk around Lamma, I find it odd to see trash heap upon trash heap. So your points of "keeping it green, planting more trees", are unfortunatly moot, as this isn't exactly a gaia paradise. Infact. I am astonished to see all the litter in the village RIGHT BESIDE the garbage can. And please don't blame the Mainlanders, most of these debris are industrial, (ie those plastic ties that hold plaets together, ciggerate boxes empty pop cans everywhere, fields of ghetto garbage. in fields beside apartments. I'm usually picking up these litters everytime I get on and off the boat, and doing my circuit to my apartment. (usually going to the ferry (the recycle bins), and going home (the Tin Hau temple bin).

As for keeping religion to ourselves, Odd that the Tin Hau devotees are allowed to stage a opera in her honour. With flags all over the place using PUBLIC TAX PAYER facilities (the soccer pitch, the pier). And yes, I went to it, it was very very fun. but there it is blah right in your face, a big grandstand, awesome exciting wild music (opera instruments). Yet, quietly put up a cross on our own property that's for US to use, and you cry blood murder). odd ;).

It seems I have ALOT to assimilate and readjust to Lamman culture

:D but all this talk about the Cross on the hill, (not the cross mentioned above paragraph (on our own property), is of course just speculative.

Again on the point of keeping religion to ourselves, Now I'm not allowed to mention names here, but this church has been very positive on the lives of at least two of it's members, one decided to shut himself up in the world, after being shafted to dishonest friends. Another, found relief and cried tears at her baptism. How is bring hope and happiness to someone a bad thing?

I was under the impression that Lamma was a happy place of happiness and tranquility, and openness. I have no problems with new agers, buddhists, agnostics as neighbours. Just as I have in Canada's multiculturalism. And we all want the same thing on Lamma, (less smelly drains for starters lol), but just a quiet place. I chose Lamma for it's resemblance to a typical Canadian suburb. Quiet, (hard to get to (in Canada, as with the States, you drive and drive and drive before getting anywhere. I love Hong Kong, because walk a few blocks from IFC, and boom you're right where you want to be, if not, just take a street car or MTR for 5 min). Anways, here is a quiet Island full children, where they can be safe, have friends, ride their bikes play sports, and people co-exist. Was I mistaken with my initial observations of the Lamman lifestyle.

Now of course if Pastor Kw_n, was running up and down Yeung Shu Wan screaming about hell fire, and screaming about fiery brimstone nukes falling from the sky, and how sex and rock and roll is the devil and there's a gay agenda to spread AIDS or something silly asinine moronity out of some Jack Chick comic (those STUPID comics printed by Chick publications. That try and preach Christianity. But they have freedom of speech to say the stupidest bullshit. Then there would be problems. But no, the Joshua church doesn't do this, infact. All they do is just hold bible study. (and how you spend your time, of course is your affair, how someone else spends their time is someone else's affair, and if they're invited, then they should have the right to decide how to spend their time) this is essentially democracy. Hong Kong still is a democratic place is it not?

Well anyways. Peace be with you my neighbour. Namaste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:09 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:15 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:24 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:33 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:13 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:42 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:01 am 
Brown-Nosed Sycophant of the Month

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:35 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:34 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

Vanoclamma, why are you talking about freedom of speech and religion? What has erecting a giant cross in a public place got to do with these freedoms?
You are free to believe in aliens (and talk about them) as far as i am concerned, but i wouldn't want to be greeted by a statue of ET every time i step out of my flat.

The Cantonese Opera is a cultural expression that i don't normally associate with religion, but if you do, no worries, that impressive mat shed theater is just a temporary structure.

If you erect a huge cross, then somebody else may want to erect another huge religious symbol and where do you draw the line? Would Satanists be allowed to worship too, in the name of religious freedom? Those who worship money would put up a huge neon dollar sign....The Lamma skyline would resemble Las Vegas!