[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - STOP
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: STOP
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:39 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Attachments:
File comment: Notice on Democracy Fence
P1010164.jpg
P1010164.jpg [ 44.63 KiB | Viewed 4298 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:33 am 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:59 am 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:00 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

'War Games' and kids and adults carrying 'plastic toy guns' are becoming common over the past few weeks!

The other night the dogs were barking all over the area near Power Station beach.

There were three young men who were making a racket when I got to the beach, and I asked what they were doing as dogs were barking everywhere.

They told me they were playing 'War games'. I asked them to at least go out onto the beach, and not to do this near homes that have dogs, as it just makes the area so noisy,... dogs are protecting their homes, and you are freaking them out. (How long before a dog bite.... and I would be on the side of the dog if this happened!)

They agreed, thanked me, and went out near the shoreline to play, and the noise stopped.

This morning on Power Station beach, the dogs that I were with were a bit 'agitated' with 'workers' that were hanging around. When I passed I saw that the 'adults' had 'toy guns' . (Hope they were toy guns!!) that were modelled on AK47's, and they were shooting away.

I asked them please not to do that with kids and animals around, as it's disturbing. They said 'OK'.

I've seen a lot of this lately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:41 pm 
Over 1,000 messages posted
Over 1,000 messages posted

Believe it is in the middle of the valley.

I was walking along the valley path a& saw a "new" beaten path leading into the undergrowth to an area I had long cherished to check out the birdlife..., but alas was always too dense..... so I followed the path.

Was interesting...... came across a whole "little ppl" village.... with paths, and several little houses fashioned out of banana tree clumps & those intrusive weeds, and lots of toy gun pellets..... was fascinating... the kids must've been having a whale of a time.
Can probably sympathise with the neighbours, but it all looked like a great adventure playground.
Farmland?......... nowhere near & nowhere to be seen... although I didn't check out the full extent of the playground.

Anyway.... thanks kids.... once you are back at school..., i'll be there.... you made some great hides, the birds will return... is a real treasure trove..... and better than dealing with the grumpy "Trashlady" at the end of the valley, who took exception to one of my hides & removed it, & all the natural bird perches near to her tiny plot.
(The "Trashlady" should not be confused with the lovely "Lilylady")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:11 pm 

Post subject: stop
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:48 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:21 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:42 am 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

Post subject: Kid's games
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:36 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:08 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

Post subject: HALT
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:01 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:47 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

Judging by the syntax and discourse I would suggest that the writer of the notice is not Chinese, but is pretending to be. Hence also the absence of a translation.

I don't like rudeness, but I think dogs here cause a bigger breach of the peace than humans. See my new topic on the matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:31 am 

Shapogung,

You might well be right.

It looks like a reaction to and a parody of the first STOP poster, see above. Quite creative, actually!
Can we expect a little war of words via posters on the Democracy Fence?

The poster below calls for an assembly at the Library last night, Saturday, 6pm.
By chance, I was walking home from the 5:50pm arrival ferry yesterday and I didn't see anybody outside the Library at all, not even a "protest organiser".

Kind of a pity, local vigilantes fighting against international students occupying the Kamikaze caves, that would have made quite a sensational Lamma-zine story... :roll:

Attachments:
File comment: Posters on Democracy Fence
HALT-!DSC00664.jpg
HALT-!DSC00664.jpg [ 105.79 KiB | Viewed 3989 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:00 am 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

Actually I think the original message was penned by a westerner as well. Just an attempt at a wind up, I imagine.

If it really was a villager who was objecting, you wouldn't be reading a message, you'd be climbing a fence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:00 am 

Notice that next to this "peaceful and beautiful private land" recently there has been many truckloads of construction waste spread all over the former farmland.
No complaints from the "Villagers and snakes of Yung Shue Long".

Perhaps someone is constructing a warfare playgound? A recreation of Stalingrad, 1942?

Maybe the idea is tourists can rent sniper rifles and chase each other through the rubble.

{L_IMAGE}

Yung Shue Long, 2012

Post subject: stop
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:57 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

This is the area where I heard they were going to construct a house, right on the pathway!

Post subject: Re: stop
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:33 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:15 am 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted