[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - The Baroque on Lamma
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:52 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

In the meantime, the Tung O Lamma-Marina project in South Lamma is also slowly inching forward. Just saw this press clipping today:

"Hong Kong (HKSAR) - The Land and Development Advisory Committee (LDAC) was briefed on the new land supply arrangements announced in the 2010-11 Budget at its fourth meeting today (March 19). LDAC welcomed Government's measures to fine-tune the land supply arrangements....

"LDAC considered a private sector proposal by the Baroque on Lamma Limited to pursue a comprehensive marina, hotel and residential development at Tung O, Lamma Island.

"Members noted that the project might help enhance Hong Kong's role as an international event capital and promote water sports, but raised concern over the planning and land administration issues identified, as well as the project's environmental and ecological impacts on the proposed development area...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:28 am 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Regarding the Tung O Marina.... saw this in the Standard Newspaper today....

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_deta ... 00324&fc=4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:35 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

You'd think if they wanted to promote water sports they'd be better off going over to Sai Kung or somewhere like that on the other side where the water is ever so slightly less filthy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:05 am 

SCMP, today, 2010/03/24:

Attachments:
SCMP-100324-b.jpg
SCMP-100324-b.jpg [ 194.23 KiB | Viewed 32022 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:10 am 
Discussions Forum Moderator

This wanker wants to build a "six-star hotel" on south Lamma?

Yes, I can see the demand for that.
He imagines he can turn this rural beach into Monaco.
The Tannery shows how capable he is of realising that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:32 pm 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:13 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:00 pm 

Well, this is your chance to speak up in public about your opinion about the "Lamma-Marina" project in South Lamma, The Baroque on Lamma. RTHK is doing a Backchat tomorrow morning, 8:30am in Queensway, Admiralty, and is looking for Lammaites to discuss this issue (not the Lammarina in Nga Kau Wan).

This is a follow-up to numerous newspaper and TV stories today about the project failing to win approval of the "Development Opportunities Office" committee recently, a merely temporary setback for this multi-billion-$ project, I think.

First, RTHK tried to get the developer and our District Councilors to join in, but it was difficult on such short notice, so they had to find alternatives, finally scraping the bottom of the barrel of available Lammaites they had contacts for, so they invited me! I've written about this specific South Lamma project occasionally for several years now.

Would somebody who's familiar with the issues and the area - Shek Pai Wan beach, Tung O Wan, Yung Shue Ha, basically the southernmost bay of our island, between Sham Wan beach and Mo Tat Wan - like to come along for the radio live discussion?

Email me at info@lamma.com.hk or PM me and I can get you in touch with the show's producer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:32 am 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:55 am 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:41 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

Those who missed Backchat on RTHK can listen to the podcast

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:01 pm 

Actually, I love the aptness of the name of this proposed development.
Judging from Lammarina's performance - if King Wong goes through with this they will be 'going brr-oke'! But seriously, doesnt 'baroque' imply a kind of excessively detailed opulence that that approaches conceit? Perhaps this is in line with and a perfect statement of the values of HK's noveau riche?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:02 pm 

The developer of the Lammarina at Tannery Beach below the DickStock Residence and "The Baroque on Lamma", the Lamma-Marina project along Tung O Wan beach, plus several other small-scale developments in South Lamma has just emailed me the following today, apologising for not being able to join the RTHK discussion yesterday:

"Indeed the project ["The Baroque on Lamma"] is not only to establish Hong Kong as an international renowned Asian sailing capital, but, also to benefit Lamma Island’s economy and social community including promoting tourism on the Island and transportation whilst preserving Lamma’s unique natural environment, community and culture.

"Should there be any issues that you would like to have our clarification, please do not hesitate to contact us."

Any questions from Lammaites, please, I'll be happy to forward them. As I've met some of the developers in person a few times over the last few years while interviewing them, I might even be able to get some answers. I've already forwarded some questions from the Living Lamma group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:24 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

You can ask him on my behalf:

What does he know about Sailing?

What connections does he have with local yacht and dinghy racing clubs and organisations? What do they have to say about Baroque?

Why does he think he can do a better job at attracting yachting events than the people presently doing it.

The RHKYC is one of the largest in the world with three venues (including a marina) and a huge boatyard what can he add to this?

How can expect the place to function as a marina when the entrance is exposed to huge swells that build up when the wind is south westerly?

As a general comment - Surely this is just a ruse to fool the planning authorities and sell luxury property. THere really isn't enough interest in sailing to justify trashing the end of Lamma, even the America's cup hardly attracts TV coverage. if you want to encourage tourism build something like Eden Project, or another theme park on the Quarry. Forget sailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:45 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:30 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:32 pm 

Dear Cultural Studies teacher,

Your highlighted words seem to lead the exam participants into your preferred answer. All four choices might actually apply in this specific case:<OL compact><li>The 6-star hotel will be built in a style splendidly reminiscent of the world-famous, renowned architectural period of the Baroque from the early 17th to mid-18th century in classical Europe, "emphasizing dramatic, often strained effect and typified by bold, curving forms, elaborate ornamentation, and overall balance of disparate parts." A real-life dreamland and architectural wonder!
<li>Baroque Music will be piped through weatherproof loudspeakers all over the development, the "expressive dissonance and elaborate ornamentation" being a most refreshing and highly sophisticated diversion from the usual muzak in shopping malls. There'll also be live performances of classical baroque masterpieces in the hotel lobby during teatime and dinner!
<li>"Extravagant, complex, or bizarre, especially in ornamentation" is an apt description of the lush and bountiful vegetation and healthy organic vegetables growing all over the development, turning it into a veritable Garden of Eden!
<li>Baroque Pearls: Yes, you'll be welcome to dive for pearls in Tung O bay from your own private yacht or sailboat! After a successful haul, you can retire to your luxurious beachfront residential housing or enjoy a lavish, sumptuous dinner banquet in the nearby 6-star hotel with your happy and relaxed family, all of them enjoying luxury beachfront living in South Lamma tremendously!</OL>Sorry, my ancient past and my former life in advertising/promotion seem to catch up with me sometimes.
But hey, maybe The Baroque on Lamma should consider hiring me to write and design their residential sales brochure for them! :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:38 pm 

LG - spin doctor extraordinaire! Haha! :D

I appreciate your desire for balance and fairness but those with axes to grind (and I include myself) will contine to jostle to expose one another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:56 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:40 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next