[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - giant Cross on Lamma Island question.
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:56 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

IC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:53 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:58 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:17 am 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Post subject: Really?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject: Re: Cross
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:50 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:29 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:34 pm 
Official Court Village Fool

:shock:

Aye Caramba this topic died like 5 months ago. The new talk of town, is Disels', the elections, and the Dog Killer.

Anyways, the purpose was just a retorhical question, gahhhh. Put it this way, the "cross" is lost in development hell (movie term for when the script gets lots and never sees the light of day for a very long time), Just like the Baroque project. Even if it was approved. It won't be build for another many years, as the developers try and scornge money, plan the engineering for this. Especially with the economy in meltdown, would take about 15 years to calculate the logistics (by then hopefully we have ecotized the Island, to the point that Oh I don't know, the Green Turtles come back, wacky birds bees and butterflies and Frogs inhabit Lamma), like ther are just to many problems associated with this cross project.

And I have changed my stance many times to vote "no" on the project, now that I'm in eco mode (Trying to build a garden). For starters we'd have to be paying the workers, VV drivers and a bunch of other support staff lots of money. The church a church of like 20 people, doesn't have... Then it's probably like the Baroque project, painstakingly long 15 years or so to approve, get the land (hopefully D.W, gets in and enacts legislature to make such projects that alter the face of our home, full of red tape.

If there is one thing the Chinese really excell at is Red Tape. (However, IF a project is still scheduled again won't be another 25 years (Minimum), perhaps the old yucky Quarry on Sokuwan, is an appropriate place. Why not, you have foundations (the rocks), NO trees exist there, it's ALREADY owned by a Christian organization (the "y").

But like I said, after sweating this summer in the fly dirt. It's going to take alot of dough to even convince people to work on this project. Which the church doesn't have. It's only in it's second year, and like my gardening gurillia project as the Gungster points out. This is Gurillia church building, It's still concentrated on trying to be a good neighbor and improve the surrounding vacinity of Sha Po. For example my garden project. Like I bought those, using "Shoe" money. I don't even have a pair of nice shoes, they've all been eaten up by the gravel. lol. It's just me my rakes and ho, and saw.

See how the church operates. We take the pews out, we put the tent up, we take them down..... We assuredly rest assured that we are not in a position to even contemplate such a grand project... we also lack the physical means to do this. It's just ME (not a member of that church, I'm just a good neighbor. Ok I'm like that goofy sitcom character that annoying pops up and helps out. Like Urkle from Family Matters)...

There's the Engineering Chief. A, and his wife I. Who work in the day, and can't devote much energy to the development of the church. The main Pastor, is retired, and does 99.9% of the stuff, then there are hanger ons....So among the 3 or 4 if you count Mr L, who's not a member I don't think, like me just a helpy helper. The Cannan church is really understaffed.

So the "grand" growth is going to perhaps take place in 25 or so years. By then Bobby's Forest would have gained sentience by now, and grown arms and legs, and a connection to mother Gaia, and if we're going to chop them down, to put in a cross, then little seelings attack the church, like those Giant Tree people on Lord of the Rings.

But honest response: the cross project is as realistic as Mr C allowing me to dig up a fish pond in his yard. He said only small flowers. ONLY. lol..

Most likely the Baroque, the Cross, Me completing Mr C's garden, won't be completed, even with the collapse of the Communist Party of China, and o'r eventual sucession of Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau, and all other forms of "free China"......Actually I'm here in China now, wowie. things are starting to go all weird. I was there before Hong Kong as well, but now things are REALLY wacky. For starters there are spontaniously demonstrations here in Wenzhou.

Oh another reason why I like trees now..... because I can't breath. So much burning of garbage here in China..... so much you know.... So no to the cross. If still yes, then put in in the Quarry in Sokuwan, where trees can't go. and still people may see. But sigh, so much blocking of signs, nature here in China. So Garish. so yucky......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:10 pm 
Official Court Village Fool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:17 am 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Vano!

What are you at, or where are you on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:50 am 
over 600 messages posted