[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Orchid Growing
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Orchid Growing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:16 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

I'll move this to a new topic in case anyone else is tempted to contribute.

These Dendrobium orchids are probably the most rewarding as they grow fairly easily and are not too picky about the exact specifications for moisture and sunlight etc, and the flowers last for weeks sometimes. This one was bought in flower last year and flowered again this autumn, and has been in bloom now for over six weeks. They can be picked up fairly cheaply in Flower Market Street.

{L_IMAGE}

{L_IMAGE}

Post subject: Orchid growing
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:58 pm 
Gardening forum moderator

I love the pictures!
Most Oncidiums are also fairly easy, in fact they seem to thrive on neglect. I'll try to persuade an orchid expert (maybe that should be fanatic) to conduct a Saturday or Sunday Q&A session on Lamma for anyone interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:53 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:28 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:35 pm 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

That's a gorgeous cat flower Zep - almost infects me the orchid bug to see it!!
I'm going to be cruising your yard tomorrow at first light for a glimpse :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:10 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:42 pm 

Hi,
maybe one of the botanists that frequent this board can help me. I am trying to find a picture of what I`m told is a "Chinese Orchid", sometimes known as the "Gentlemans Orchid", I`ve tried googling for it but found nothing conclusive but it should look something like the image on this old tea caddy.
Any help in identifying this plant would be most appreciated.

Phil.

Attachments:
coral red jar.JPG
coral red jar.JPG [ 51.53 KiB | Viewed 1918 times ]

Post subject: Chinese orchid
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:37 pm 
Gardening forum moderator

Most likely you are looking for one of the Chinese Cymbidiums. These are not the big showy Cymbidiums but they are rather inconspiculous. Their strong fragrance is the main attraction. Flowers are greenish, even dark brown or almost black. Leaves are kind of wispy, like coarse grass. In olden times the literati used to cultivate these and invite their friends round to join in appreciating the scent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:15 pm 

Thank you Jane, the calligraphy on this tea caddy translates as something like "Orchid is the king of perfume" so that fits in with what you say, it`s only a pic of the actual plant thats eluding me though I`ve been told it was a common subject for painters during the late Qing dynasty.

Phil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:54 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Try this one by Li Shan?

Or the second painting, Rocks and orchid by Wang Duo gives an idea of the appearance of the whole plant - This would be consistent with a Cymbidium, as Jane suggests.

(Both paintings are from the Qing Dynasty)

Attachments:
Orchid by Li Shan.jpg
Orchid by Li Shan.jpg [ 53.74 KiB | Viewed 1888 times ]
Rocks and orchid by Wang Duo.jpg
Rocks and orchid by Wang Duo.jpg [ 54.57 KiB | Viewed 1888 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:36 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Here's a new genus for me, Miltonia, which seem to be getting more popular. The flowers are quite large and attractive. Unfortunately this one died only two days after buying it, so now there is a long wait to see if it can be maintained for a second flowering season next year.

{L_IMAGE}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:34 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

It's like presents under the Christmas tree - these two orchids slowly developed buds after growing for a season and the opening was eagerly awaited . It's usually pot luck whether they survive or not. One pair shrivelled up and died (cold weather?), while the other blossomed into a fine bloom.

Doomed to die
{L_IMAGE}

Destined to flourish
{L_IMAGE}

The fine "Tutankhamen" hybrid
{L_IMAGE}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:55 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

This elegant Vanda orchid is flowering for the third time in as many seasons on a tree outside our house:

{L_IMAGE}

{L_IMAGE}