[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - becoming a mom! some advice on delivery and child care
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:09 pm 

Hellu,

So I just found out I'm pregnant and I feel rather unprepared for what's coming next. I'd be very happy if you experienced parents out there can tell me about these two things:

1. Delivery: I'm delivering at Queen Mary hospital, but wondering what happens along the way between when I start labor and the hospital--do I call the clinic in Lamma to arrange for an ambulance to take me? Then what? Will they put me on a regular ferry, or a helicopter, or what? (I'll also go to the Lamma clinic to ask this but I'd like to hear your experience!).

2. Child care: it seems to me that most parents on the island hire some kind of domestic help. We don't want any live-in maid though, but maybe someone to help out 5-6 hours a day, 3 days a week would be good. Is it easy to get this kind of help? Is there any child care center on Lamma (I haven't heard of it)? How much does it cost? (We both work full time but I work from home, so I can take care of the baby during work hours but how many hours do you manage to put in during daytime if you have the baby with you?)

Thanks so much in advance...this is obviously new to us and I welcome any advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:18 pm 

Congratulations!

For delivery, I'm sure we've got a lot of different stories. In my case I was delivering at the Adventist. When the contractions started I called up my obstetrician, described the intervals between contractions and he said I should make my way in but had plenty of time so I got a ferry across. Lots of friends have done similar.

I've heard many tales about using the helicopter/policeboat. Even a baby born on the police boat! Hopefully more of us will be able to share tales with you so that you can make a few contingency plans.

As for child care, as far as I know there isn't daycare on the island for tiny babies. I'm sure you'd have no problem finding someone to come by and help you out at home. Just ask around for recommended helpers who are looking for a new employer. You'd maybe have to sponsor their visa but wouldn't need to have anyone living in if you didn't want that. There are always people available and you would be able to interview a few to find someone who's suitable for your lifestyle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:40 am 

Thanks Rach for your reply. I didn't know that policeboat would take you as well!! I thought helicopter is the only option after the ferries stop. So did you walk to the ferry pier or did the ambulance take you? I live a little far from the ferries so I don't think I'll be able to make it in the summer heat...

Thanks so much for the information! It's very scary being first-time parents and even more so when you have little idea how to get to the hospital! Thanks! I'll also look into help with helpers on the island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:49 am 

I walked as I was only 15 mins from the ferry and went into a kind of determined self-sufficient mode when the time came to make my way to the hospital!

I'll try to find out a bit more info for you about how to organise the ambulance if needed. In the meantime, here's the police article about baby Geneva who was born on the boat. I remember this 'cos used to be her dad's flatmate.

http://www.police.gov.hk/offbeat/683/016_e.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:25 pm 

Whether a mom in labor can make it to the hospital by herself, by taking a ferry, etc, it's really depending on luck. I heard from other moms, their labor went so slow that they could wait, take the ferry then even do some shopping before going to hospital!

As with me, however, everything went so quick. There was no way I could take the ferry, let alone walk out of the door. The contractions wake me up from my sleep and to describe it as "extremely painful" was an understatement. I was in active labour right away, and it was 10 days before the expected due date.

After calling 999, the ambulance finally showed up to fetch me and take me to the Lamma clinic. The nurses there did some check-up and asked me assorted questions. It seemed forever until finally the helicopter arrived, and I was taken to the Eastern Hospital in Chai Wan, the nearest hospital with a helipad. I couldn't go to the hospital I was supposed to go (Adventist Hospital).

I was lucky that everything went well, despite the relatively long wait. The contractions began at 3.30a.m., and shortly after my husband called 999. But it was only around 5.45a.m.-6a.m. that I arrived in the hospital. (The helicopter ride itself was fast, lasted for a few minutes).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:12 pm 

Thanks Swiflet. Here's a summary of other information from Lamma mums about their delivery experiences:

re ambulance
Call 999 to get the ambulance if you can't walk to the clinic or not confident to go on ferry.

How long the ambulance takes to get to you depends on where you live and whether the ambulance guys know how to get there. I kept the police map with me. It shows the lamppost numbers which the cops use as references.

http://www.compunicate.com/Lamma-zine/Blog/Blog-2005-10.html#Oct5

re helicopter
Suggest you just get to clinic a.s.a.p. then doc will check how far you are and decide if you need to go ferry or helicopter.

if everything's suddenly happening fast
If you feel the baby might be coming very soon, tell them about that when you call 999 to order the ambulance. (Tell them it is quick and you know you will need a heli.) There is no way to book a helicopter, only the 999 and clinic route.

If you're not happy with the uncertainty then we'd suggest staying in town close to your chosen hospital for piece of mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:52 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

My wife stayed with relatives in Kowloon for the last few weeks. In the event, she was in labour for 14 hours and they finally had to induce, so there wasn't any rush.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:25 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:35 am 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:45 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:52 pm 

Queen Mary Hospital doesn't have a helipad -- that's why I was taken to the Eastern Hospital in Chai Wan. That's the nearest hospital with a helipad.

I believe which hospital you'd be taken will be decided by the emergency personnel. I asked about QMH, but they said there was no time to be taken to there because the baby could be born anytime. As I said, the flight was quick, but what wasn't so great was the EH was located at the other end of the world (from Lamma's perspective that is). It took a two-hour commute each way with public transport for any family member to visit.

Taking a patient to QMH would involve two modes of transport: helicopter to the Central/Admiralty heli landing pad, then from there an ambulance.

FYI, when we called 999, we had no idea how soon the baby would be born. It was our first. But perhaps that was a rare experience... all moms have their own story.

Just hope for the best... but be prepared for the surprises!!