Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Schools on Lamma
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:29 pm 

Hi everyone! :D

My family and I (we are four people, two adults and two children aged 3 and 1) are possibly moving to Lamma in the next few months or so and we are trying to gather information about schools and kindergartens on the island.

I was under the impression that Bnayan House was a kindergarten but I cannot access their website and my emails keep bouncing back.

My question is this: what are the schooling options for children aged between 1 and 6 on the island?

FYI my children are both Ducth but born in China and speak fluent Mandarin, Dutch and English (well, the 3-year-old does at least! :) ), for what it's worth.

Anyway information would be greatly appreciated!

Best wishes to you all.

David

Post subject: Re: Schools on Lamma
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:54 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

There is a Kindergarten run by the Catholic church, next to the fire station.
Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Kindergarten 2982-0359

And the government run primary school nearby
Northern Lamma School 2982-0242, 1 Yung Shue Ling

Both are in pleasant, quiet, very green environments.

The kindergarten at least has a lot of foreign kids, is very cheap compared to private ones.

The primary school is focused on Chinese kids, but if you live here legally they're obligated to teach your kids.

Even the kindergarten has homework, kids will learn to write Chinese which takes a lot of work.

Otherwise you have to go to off Lamma, to very expensive international and ESF schools and long daily commutes.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:01 pm 

Alan,

Thanks for the speedy and informativen reply. 8)

So I guess Banyan House closed down then?

We most definitely do not want to have long commutes, so schooling on the island - at least until the kids are older - is a priority.

Anyone here got any experiences with foreign children in the two schools mentioned by Alan? Would be great to hear more and learn about prices etc.

Thanks again.

David :thumb-up: :thumb-up:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:23 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Our children went to both the Lamma Kindergarten and then Junior school, years ago, it's true, but we had a good experience. Friends with younger children who have had more recent experience also have had very good things to say. Neither school is ideal if you are a bit protective of your youngsters being given homework at a young age because they are a bit 'old style' from that point of view, as Alan mentioned, but we found it was acceptable (I did have a local tutor for them once they went into the junior school, to assist with Chinese homework). Although now, I understand the school has an after school homework club of some sort.

I'd recommend going along and speaking to the heads. They are approachable, really care about the children and you will have the opportunity to see the environment and discuss how they operate. In my opinion, it's lovely going to a local school and not having to face the ferries on a daily basis. The biggest advantage is that the little ones learn Cantonese from an early age. Both of mine did well in GCSE's and IB in Chinese as a result of starting young and still speak the lingo today. Good luck :D

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:43 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Also there is the Hans Anderson Centre in Tai Wan village.
Not a school, but they organise activities for kids, and also have tutorial classes.
http://www.hac.org.hk/html/en_se_01.php ... subcatid=4

My daughter is half Chinese and bilingual. She went to the local schools and then got into a Band 1 high school in HK. It helped that there is a quota for Lamma at these schools so with reasonable marks you have a much better chance than from a school elsewhere. She just started university in Sydney, so it worked out OK.