Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: School Commute for Kids
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:14 pm 

Hi Lamma Parents
We are strongly considering moving to Lamma Island with our three kids (4, 6, 9 ) end of this year- but are considering to send the two older ones to one of the international schools on HK Island. If any of you have kids in the same situation or experience with the commute for kids - greatly appreciate your comments or suggestions.
Just trying to pull some information together to help with your plans.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:06 pm 

Hi there. You don't say if you already living in Hong Kong and have your kids enrolled at schools - the biggie is actually getting a school place to start with. The commute isn't really a problem - how it works for most families is that mum and / or dad and the kids get the 7.20am boat from Lamma to Central where school buses pick the kids up at 8am to take them to wherever, and return them in the afternoon in time for the 3.15pm boat back to Lamma. (Some schools might have different time schedules.) The buses are run by PTA organisations and have a 'bus mum' to keep an eye on the kids.
For school age kids this isn't too taxing, except in year 1 perhaps. I don't think I'd send nursery school kids off-island because it's a 25 minute boat commute each way, plus a bus or taxi at the other end - doesn't seem worth it just for some painting and colouring in and singing. There are nursery options on Lamma anyway - Banyan House (Waldorf/Steiner) and the local Catholic kindergarten. However, many people feel they don't have an option because if you don't have an older brother or sister already accepted into an international school, it can be difficult to find a place for young kids starting in primary year 1, and one route is often to send them to the kindergartens attached to the international schools in the hope this will help them get a place.
In general the commute is fine - in the morning the kids tend to catch up on reading or homework. They can be a bit rowdy on the boat home though (maybe because it's helpers rather than parents who tend to accompany the kids, or maybe just a 'school's out' feeling of freedom after lessons, or maybe both.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:49 pm 

Thanks Kerys! Really appreciate you taking the time to answer.
This is very helpful- yes we are working on the school part ( we do not live in HK yet.... ) - understanding this is a big challenge. So will try and if not we just do local school until we get another option. This just really encourages us to further pursue the Lamma option! Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:04 pm 

well, whilst the 3.15 ferry from central (weekdays) has been mentioned i would like to give you my thoughts ... yes, it's rowdy, some of the children's behaviour is, sadly, terrible. when i was their age i would have been told to sit down and read/play nicely, it is afterall, only 25 minutes. i don't think we should be blaming the helpers, remember, some (not all) of these kids see their parents talking to the helpers disrespectfully and they learn to do the same. there are, of course, some parents that really don't care too much either. as a result, it is me and many many others that have to put up with the "rowdiness", not too often as i (try) avoid it like the plague.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:54 pm 

Grannyt - I note your comments and you've got some fair points, but maybe that's a discussion for another time.

IKRK- yes, new kids usually go to the local school on Lamma (North Lamma Primary) while waiting for an international school placement. Lamma is a lovely place for families, and it is very easy for kids to make friends here as it's a small community and you quickly recognise each other's faces, as well as being very safe (no cars means my kids can just grab a bottle of water and a football and go off and play by themselves on Saturday mornings). Downsides are - well, you get used to having no supermarket, working your schedule round the ferry timetable, and the lack of choice in housing. Oh, and the wildlife. They're all minor points for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:49 am 

Kerys- Thanks for this positive note! Yes the 'No Cars' is such a big argument that it might win over my fear of snakes ;0).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:21 am 

I love it that there are no supermarkets on Lamma. The smaller grocers have 80% of what I usually need, add to the the deli, the frozen meat guy, Just Green, and other various little places and I think I can get 95% of all my food on lamma. The other 5% can be gotten from Taste / City Super or whatever on HK Island. This also adds to the sense of community and getting to know the locals. For the ferry timetable this is also a plus, gives me an excuse to leave work on time, get out of boring parties, drunken nights out, etc at a particular time. Snakes, well actually to be honest I think you will rarely ever see them. Centipedes are more of an issue than snakes, especially with young kids, well at least where I am in Tai Peng.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:21 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Jolene writes in the Lamma Mama group on Facebook:

"It depends on you really. We are actually moving off Lamma because we feel the commute is too much. My daughter starts nursery next month and we are on the 7:20 ferry (only barely make it to start school at 8:25 unless we cab it which costs) and won't get home till 1pm even though her school is only 2 hours. That's because of the sparse ferry schedule.

The rents aren't exactly cheap on Lamma anymore so that adds to it. I just rather my kids have more play and rest time rather than chasing a sparse ferry schedule and stressing to get them out the door. But that's my own personal experience. We are renting in Clearwater Bay and paying less rent and I get my kids to school in 20 minutes tops. So it's a real personal decision."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:35 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

It's a bit silly to come here with young kids if you aren't going to use the local pre-schools.

We lived 5 minutes' walk from the kindergarten and 10 from the primary school, my daughter managed the latter by herself when she attended that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:51 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

From Ruth Benny:

IKRK - we can help with the school place, which is obviously the most important part. The 6 year old will be the trickiest and, while local school may be an option, entering mid term without any local language skills will be a major adjustment. I honestly wouldn't suggest that for a 9 year old and risk their academic progress.

As for commuting, some schools do have buses picking up from the ferry piers (kids come in from Lantau/DB too). I'd keep your 4 year old on Lamma for one more year, maybe.

Do get in touch - ruth@topschools.hk :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:33 pm 

Thanks All! And thanks Lamma-Gung for dropping those notes.
Ruth - I will drop you a note.