[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Feedback on the Lamma-zine
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:12 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Reposting this message from 2002:

What do you love and hate about the Lamma-zine?

Be honest and frank in your raves and rants!
Praise is most welcome, of course, but it's the critics that help me to improve the Lamma-zine! Not hate mail, but constructive, detailed, specific ideas that can be implemented within my limited means. Many feedbacks have been implemented so far.

The Lamma-zine is a work in progress and still has a long way to go to become the best e-zine in HK! It has come a long way in the last years, I hope, but is it going in the right direction in your opinion?

The Lamma-zine has grown tremendously since it became an (almost) daily e-publication, taking quite a while to load. Is it much too big and long now? Or do you like to read lots of stuff about Lamma? Too many pictures? Not enough? Would you have better pictures for us to use?

What topics would you like to read and see more or less off? New ideas and suggestions are always welcome!

And all contributors & promoters of good causes & people venting off are most welcome, of course! Almost anything goes, from short quotes to long stories, from completely wacky and crazy stuff to serious & thought-provoking articles! Get instant e-mail & personal feedback from whatever you've contributed!

There's way more editorial freedom here than in ANY print publication in HK; and no interest groups to offend or spoil the creative fun! Blatant self-promotion and severely biased opinions are most welcome! What the heck, I do it myself already sometimes!

Make the Lamma-zine YOUR publication, the definitive place for former, current and future Lammaites to get their news, fun and entertainment!

So, what do you love and hate about the Lamma-zine?

Post subject: Like it a lot!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:30 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:01 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:45 am 

Hey Lamma Gung - I could help you with the web-redesign. Sounds like a perfect trade as I PM'd you a few days ago about help understanding web coding. I didn't see this thread when I PM'd.

I have a lot of experience art directing large entertainment web sites in the US. I know I could update the look of the site, without losing the spirit and funky charm Lamma. I'd love to help re-design one of my favorite sites. PM me for details and samples of my work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:01 pm 

Please find below the latest Lamma-zine email to all subscribers, sent out today. If you're registered as a member of this forum, you might get a similar email about every two weeks, as a short reminder and update of the most recent Lamma-zine stories and Lamma Events on the home page.
It can be useful for anybody not checking our cover page at least occasionally, but would like to get a reminder of what's going on on Lamma.

PM or email me at info@Lamma.com.hk if you'd like to receive these emails. No spam, of course, and nobody else will get your email address from me.
<HR>Dear Lamma-zine reader,

We're looking forward to another very busy weekend of Lamma-related activities, from the Beach Blazers cleaning up and "Green Lamma Green"
volunteers performing "Tree Caring" to the Basketball Leaguers shooting hoops.

In the most gruesome Halloween spirit, another Lamma zombie film will be screened (off-island), DEADLINE, and our youngsters will be challenged inside Hans Andersen Club's Haunted House, but the trick-or-treating might be island-wide and involve all ages.

Say hello if you spot me at any of these events with my big Nikon and your Photoshop-enhanced mugshot might grace the next Lamma-zine!<HR>HK CRICKET SIXES - Fri-Sun, Oct 28-30 (Sponsored Message)

The KARP Group Hong Kong Cricket Sixes 2011 has just started and will be held at the Kowloon Cricket Club till Sunday. Watch 12 international teams making the biggest and best clash in the 19-year history of the tournament. They'll show you how to "plunder the runs as he caned a bowling attack", how to "get quickly into stride with his trademark flicks over square leg", and how "an undisciplined bowling performance allowed India to sneak to a last ball victory."
Check out all the up-to-date info about the HK Cricket Sixes by clicking on http://www.cricket.com.hk<HR>Plus all the usual breaking news and investigative reports from the absolutely impartial, impeccably fair and always accurate bastion of top-quality, world-class journalism that Lamma.com.hk has become world-famous for over the last 9+ years (or not):

Lamma-zine stories, Oct 23-30, 2011, http://Lamma.com.hk
- Adversaries Unite for Beach Cleanup
- Another Busy Weekend
- DC Candidates Q&A
- Basketball League V.I.P.s
- HK Cricket Sixes

MANY THANKS to our precious number of wonderfully supportive contributors to this community website. Please send me YOUR favourite Lamma/Lammaite-related photo, blog, story, artwork, tip, story idea, food/concert review, poem, animation, video, etc.

You received this email because you are on the Lamma-zine-exclusive mailing list.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, or want to change your email address, or if you got more than one email, or for any comments, please reply to this email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:39 am 

Do you live on Lamma Island and/or are interested in what happens here?

Are you already registered in this forum?

If yes, you're probably already receiving the occasional Lamma-zine email from me, updating you on recent events and news featured in my Lamma-zine on the home page.
If you're registered here but are not receiving the Lamma-zine email, but would like to, let me know by emailing info@lamma.com.hk.

If not, you're welcome to be added to the free & confidential Lamma-zine email list. You'll receive only a simple text email like the one below about 1-2 times a month, updating you on the latest Lamma news, but no promotional emails and no spam from me: info@lamma.com.hk.
<HR>
Lamma-zine email from yesterday, March 6, 2012:

Lamma Nightlife & Emergency Heli Flights

Dear Lamma-zine reader,

It's the last day to submit comments to Govt. about the proposed bike park at the YSW ferry pier. If you're a 'stakeholder' in this highly contentious and divisive project, let them know your opinions, pro or con.

This issue's cover story talks about Lamma's often colourful nightlife, a topic that the Lamma-zine is usually not very well-informed about. I'm rarely exploring Lamma nightlife personally, maybe being much too concerned about my health and well-being. ;-) The many Lammaites who do enjoy our nightlife are unusually shy to talk or write about it, or probably can't remember all the shenanigans they got up to after midnight. So what will be happening in Lamma's day- and nightlife in the next few weeks?
http://www.Lamma.com.hk/index_events.htm

Sunday mornings, the morning after all the Saturday night parties, seem to be a peak time for medical emergency helicopter flights from Lamma to hospital. How many times have you been on a medical evacuation heli flight, either as a patient or accompanying somebody?

Plus, discover answers to these intriguing questions:

- How to unleash your inner dragon?
- Where are dragons swaying along the road?
- How to earn cash from Google?
- What's a surgiversary?
- What are Lamma Hoops and diabolos?
- When are you going up to Mt Stenhouse?
- Why does Lamma Highlights need you?
- plus many more intriguing but pretty silly questions...

Plus all the usual breaking news and investigative reports from the absolutely impartial, staunchly neutral, impeccably fair and always accurate bastion of top-quality, world-class journalism that the Lamma-zine has become world-famous for over the last 9.5 years (or not):

Lamma-zine stories, Jan 22 - Mar 6, 2012, http://Lamma.com.hk

- Medical Emergency Helicopter Flights
- Southern Lamma Nightlife
- 'The Dragon Swaying Along the Road'
- Submit Your CPA Comments
- Two Weddings and a Funeral
- R.I.P. David Wolter

- My First US$100 from Google
- 4th Surgiversary
- Biggest Beach Cleanup Ever!?
- Cake + Jam Sale
- 'Lamma Highlights' Needs YOU!
- Red-Velvety Valentine's
- Lamma Hoops Wants YOU!
- Sunday Hiking & Biking
- Diabolos @ Soccer Pitch
- Huggen D'ass Wins One-Day League!
- Lunar New Year Carnival
- What's On This Weekend?
- Dragonboat Land Training
- Unleash Your Inner Dragon!

- SouthLammaWayForward
- Goodbye Lama
- Stay Alert of Burglars
- Sampan Concordia
- DickStock 2012, This Saturday
- Victoria Park Fair
- Lamma Carrots

As always, the Lamma-zine would like to offer heart-felt thanks to our growing number of wonderfully supportive contributors to this community website.
Please send me YOUR favourite Lamma/Lammaite-related photo, blog, story, artwork, tip, story idea, food/concert review, poem, animation, video, etc.

MANY THANKS as well to our highly appreciated Advertisers & Sponsors who make Lamma.com.hk possible with their great & loyal support:
Main Sponsor Hongkong Electric; www.concertoinn.com.hk, www.hongkongvet.com, www.tradewindstransport.com, Man Fung Seafood Rest.; plus Boostcamp, Island Gym, The Bay, The Island Bar, The Waterfront, Bookworm Cafe, Lamma Veterinary Clinic, Kinesiology Asia, Movieflys.

You received this email because you are on our Lamma-zine-exclusive mailing list which will never be shared.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, or to change your email address, or if you got more than one email, or for any comments, please reply to this email.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:30 pm 

Just in case, you're not a registered forum member yet or
not on the Lamma-zine email subscriber list yet or
your spam filters blocks these emails:

Email me for a free, spam-free, hassle-free email subscription: info@Lamma.com.hk. Here's an example of today's mass email:

Subject: Lamma-zine: Hungry Ghosts & Hungry Lammaites
Date: Aug 27, 2012
To: all Lamma-zine email subscribers

Dear Lamma-zine reader,

In the middle of the Chin. Ghost Month, we've got lot of ghostly, ghastly Lamma-zine stories and photos for you, especially about the Yu Lan (Hungry Ghost) Festival and biological hazards of various kinds.

Plus extensive photo galleries of recent disasters hitting Lamma (and much of HK): Typhoon Vicente and its aftermath and the high-profile Plastic Disaster.
Plus a record 3 stories about Lamma's most famous son, Chow Yun-fat, and 3 stories about the Lamma Power Station up and close.
Plus all the usual, unavoidably silly, quirky and parochial stories....

In-house, a major update of the forum is under off-line testing right now. Major improvements all over the site are being implemented step by step, from new photo galleries and updated Yellow Pages to social media integration and more bilingual content.
But it all depends on your input, ideas and, yes, donations and sponsorships which are absolutely essential to make these improvements happen at all. There's a brand-new donation appeal at the top right of the home page. Become the very first person to become a Silver, Gold, Platinum or even a Diamond Donor, please.

We're also always looking for old and new advertisers which have made the survival of Lamma.com.hk possible for so long, but barely. Contact me by replying to this email for any leads and potentials (huge commissions!) who might be interested in taking advantage of our digital marketing services.

A public 10th birthday party, everybody welcome, 1-2 free drinks & snacks, will be celebrated on Fri, Sep 7, in The Island Bar!
So, what else has been happening on Lamma in the last three weeks?

Lamma-zine Stories: www.Lamma.com.hk
Lamma Events Calendar: www.Lamma.com.hk/index_events.htm
10 years of Lamma photo galleries: www.Lamma.com.hk/index_gallery.htm
30 years of L-G's computer art galleries: www.Lamma.com.hk/L-G
... and for anybody still wondering about my weight loss (and keeping it off): www.Lamma.com.hk/lose175

Lamma-zine stories, Aug 1 - 26, 2012:

- Zheng De Taoist Temple
- The Blue Girl Prefers Silver
- L-G the Biological Hazard
- United Nations Fishing Village
- Power Station Tour Q & A
- God of Hell @ Tin Hau Temple
- The Daily Lamma
- My Famous Neighbour
- Plastic Disaster @ South Lamma
- The Natural Beauty of South Lamma
- Island of Gospel?
- Lamma Power Station Up Close
- Using Our Free Classifieds?
- Fat-Gor & Icey
- Power Station Tour
- Saving Fat-Gor's Tree?
- T10 Aftermath
- Don't Drink the Tea!

Writers, correspondents, reviewers, guest bloggers, we're still looking most eagerly for you!
Please send us anything that Lamma residents and/or visitors might be interested to read.
Your favourite Lamma/Lammaite-related photo, link, blog, website, artwork, tip, idea, poem, animation, video, etc. would also be always welcome for potential publication.

As always, the Lamma-zine would like to offer heart-felt thanks to our wonderfully supportive contributors to this community website.
MANY THANKS as well to our highly appreciated Advertisers & Sponsors who make Lamma.com.hk possible with their great & loyal support:
HK Electric, Just Green, Concerto Inn, Hong Kong Vet, Trade Winds Transport; plus The Island Bar, The Waterfront, The Bay, Lamma Veterinary Clinic, Kinesiology Asia and Movieflys.

You received this email because you are on our exclusive Lamma-zine mailing list which will never be shared.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, or to change your email address, or if you got more than one email, or for any comments about the Lamma-zine, please REPLY to this email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:50 am 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:40 pm 

A few words from the Lamma-zine email party invitation, about the future of this forum and website:

In-house, a major update of the forum is under off-line testing right now. Major improvements all over the site are being implemented step by step, from updated Yellow Pages to social media integration and much more Chinese content to all-new photo gallery software: http://www.Lamma.com.hk/index_gallery.htm

But it all depends on your input, ideas and, yes, donations and sponsorships which are absolutely essential to make these improvements happen at all. There's a brand-new donation appeal at the top right of the home page. Become the second person to become a SILVER, GOLD, PLATINUM or even a DIAMOND SPONSOR of Lamma.com.hk? Check out our donation appeal at the top right of our home page for details!

We're also always looking for old and new advertisers who've made the survival of Lamma.com.hk possible for so long, but barely. Contact me by replying to this email for any leads who might be interested in taking advantage of our digital marketing services. Huge commissions for simple, successful introductions, I'll handle all the rest!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:13 pm 

The sole income of this all-free community website comes from advertisers and sponsors. We need to attract a few more to guarantee the on-going survival of this 10-year old Lamma community platform. It's still the only media of any kind solely devoted to all things Lamma; for residents, visitors, HK media and anybody interested in Lamma for any reason.

We're offering free adverts to all new or returning advertisers 'til end of Feb! But you'll need to sign up for at least one month of paid advertising, starting March 1. This is our very best offer so far, a real bargain. Your ad could start tomorrow, we'll even do all the creative and design work for free.

Contact me for a free consultation, after a look at our bilingual rate card! We're offering a wide range of advertising & promotional options, from banner ads to promos, advertorials, mini-websites, email shots to social media:
http://www.compunicate.com/Lamma-zine/ratecard-Fall-08.htm

{L_IMAGE}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:18 pm 

My (almost) daily updated Lamma news and events listings on the home page:
Useful for you? How to improve it?

Attachments:
Lamma.com.hk-1316.jpg
Lamma.com.hk-1316.jpg [ 105.27 KiB | Viewed 4813 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:12 pm 

There are so many new public Lamma-based and -related events happening in the next few weeks, listed on the home page and in the Lamma Events Calendar. It's quite a major effort for me to keep track of them and publicise, promote and update them.

Is this Lamma Events Calendar useful for you? If yes, how to improve it?

Attachments:
Lamma.com.hk-131017-NEW.jpg
Lamma.com.hk-131017-NEW.jpg [ 158.77 KiB | Viewed 4526 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:12 pm 

No feedback from anybody if the WHAT'S NEW? and WHAT'S ON? sections are useful on the home page (see above)?

Should I assume that they're not really useful, or nobody actually reads them, so I should stop updating them, or change them into a much simpler, quick text-only listing, without all the current posters, descriptions and multiple links?

These are very labour-intensive to update almost daily, during busy times taking up more time than creating the Lamma-zine stories (which is actually the most fun part of my job).

And what about the Lamma-zine story index with thumbnails? Superfluous? Use simple, text-only links instead?

Attachments:
Lamma.com.hk-131203-bsq.jpg
Lamma.com.hk-131203-bsq.jpg [ 260.15 KiB | Viewed 4415 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:25 pm 

It would be a big help to archive everything over 3 years old... sooo much old and misleading info..
Sorry, I know it would kill about a ton % of your content but.. you could make it a " Blast from the Lamma memory lane
At least sort/ highlight things that are in this decade. ( btw old is not wrong.. just not recently validated)

Maybe I just don't have the site preferences set

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:45 pm 

Thanks for your feedback, the very first in this topic for a very long time.

But as everything on this site has a well visible date - every event, story, blog post or picture - why an additional archive, making it much harder to find?
A lot of the content doesn't really get out-dated so soon anyway, like all the flora- and fauna-related items.

Site searches will always be sorted by date and it's always obvious how old any info is, isn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:51 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Things can go out of date overnight, or be valid for years. Putting some info behind an "archive" wouldn't imply that the rest is current and correct. It never was guaranteed. This is just a forum and a blog, and while you can mine it for all kinds of useful information, you have to assess each bit of information yourself.

As they say on Wikipedia "So fix it". If you find anything outdated, follow it up with a correction.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:12 am 

All digital marketing will be free for new and returning Lamma-zine advertisers, from banner ads, advertorials & mini-websites, to email campaigns, Facebook marketing, SEO consulting & our bilingual Yellow Pages, till end of Feb!
Contact us in English or Chinese:

Bilingual rate card

{L_ATTACHMENT}:
Ratecard-bilingual-140116-b.jpg
Ratecard-bilingual-140116-b.jpg [ 101.39 KiB | Viewed 4277 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:43 pm 

I just got another advertising enquiry from a a non-profit organisation.
Just to confirm to other non-profits out there: All digital marketing on Lamma.com.hk is half-price for you!

It's also all free till end of Feb, like for all new and former advertisers!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:47 am 

Our all-free marketing promotion has been extended til end of March.

Get free ads, email blasts, advertorials, promotional campaigns, social media marketing,... all free for the first month! See above.

Plus we need more of your best pictures, videos and links, as Lamma Photo/Video/Wildlife/Website/Artwork of the Week.
Submit yours for free exposure on the home page, including your name and link to your website, photo gallery, Facebook page,...

Attachments:
Lamma.com.hk-140224.jpg
Lamma.com.hk-140224.jpg [ 116.68 KiB | Viewed 4188 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:04 pm 

Submit your best Lamma photos, videos, websites, wildlife and artwork to be featured on the home page and Facebook,
with full credits and link, of course.

Attachments:
Highlights-FB-140715.jpg
Highlights-FB-140715.jpg [ 91.87 KiB | Viewed 4120 times ]