[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Mh hou gwa! Indian Cuckoos are Back!
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:57 am 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:28 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

That's certainly an Indian cuckoo pictured, but they don't increase in pitch and volume, just the same old monotonous 4-note mantra - the koel does though.

Post subject: Indian Cuckoos
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:23 pm 

Attachments:
Japanese White-eye.jpg
Japanese White-eye.jpg [ 125.04 KiB | Viewed 6624 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:16 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Hi Whoopbird - nice to have another birdo on the forum - we are getting a bit in-bred here, and rely almost entirely on Guy's splendid photos. I find the cuckoos' noises pleasant and relaxing, except on the few occasions when one has been outside myh window in the middle of the night. When jetlagged, I have confirmed that the Indian cuckoo does literally call all night long.

There are two other cuckoos heard occasionally - the pallid cuckoo and the greater hawk cuckoo. I'll have to look out my digital tape recorder try to remember how to use it. The lesser coucals call frequently from the hillsides behind Tai Peng.

Your bird of prey could have been a northern goshawk, but is much more likely to have been a crested goshawk, which is resident here. The crest is not normally visible in flight, but the pattern of movement sounds just like it. You can sometimes tell it by the fluffy white feathers around the tail. Also, there is usually a major movement of Chinese goshawks heading north in the last week of April.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:20 am 

Good Morning. I am new.

Share this:

http://youtu.be/rL4Z9d9oObY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:39 am 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:30 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:31 am 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Post subject: Goshawk ID
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:05 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:01 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:12 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Attachments:
Large Hawk Cuckoo1.mp3 [96.79 KiB]
Downloaded 286 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:48 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:27 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Time to open this long-running thread again, as it's THAT time of year again. The Indian Cuckoos have probably packed their bags and are winging their way to Lamma as we speak. So again the question is - who will hear the first cuckoo of spring?

It's actually a bit pointless, as many respondents are clearly describing the Indian Koel instead, and anyone can claim anything without verification, but let's see who claims the first.

Reminder: It's a four note call like the first four notes of the Clapping Song ("my momma told me...) repeated ad nasueam.

There's lots of relevant information, including recordings, on earlier pages in this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:16 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Well I'll answer my own question - heard the beast this morning, 10th April, calling clearly through the clear early morning.

I therefore claim the prize of a six pack of Sonderberg South Korean beer generously provided by the moderator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:22 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

High praise and eternal glory to our most generous moderator!

I hope that, the 1st prize winner and recipient of this exciting price will share it with a carefully selected 5 out of his hundreds of friends in another breakfast on his Orchid Garden Rooftop with the glorious views?

Post subject: indian cuckoo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:18 am 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

By the clearly unspecified rules of the contest I claim the prize also - 5:40 on 10 April.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:23 am 

Rambler, if you succeed in getting this prize (good luck!), could you carry it along on our ascent to Mt. Stenhouse and we'll drink it at the summit?

The weather is finally getting good and dry enough for our overdue group ascent from the Lo So Shing side.

Post subject: cuckoo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:50 am 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

Warm beer on the summit?! I would rather withdraw my claim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:17 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

I'll make sure it's in a cooler with plenty of ice. To claim your prize, meet me at the summit of Mt Stenhouse at 6 am on Sunday morning

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:43 pm 

Zep, you really want to carry the cooler up there by yourself for sunrise?

Let the winner (if you accept his claim) carry it up there!
And then you and I can enjoy a cool beer on top of Mt Stenhouse at 6am this Sunday!

OK with everybody, confirmed?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next