[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Getting rid of Ratty
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Getting rid of Ratty
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:36 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

The footprints on the glue trap suggest the rat is not suspicious of this type of trap, so it might be your best bet. These traps usually work very well. Sounds like the glue on yours may have hardened because old or because of current chilly weather. Try buying from a different store. One or two hardware stored on Wellington Street, close to the mid-Levels escalator, Sheung Wan side, sell them. Suggest varying their location and may be weighting them in place with a couple of bricks on the side of the tray, to prevent travel when the rat struggles to get free.

Remember that the rat will also need water as well as solid food and will usually find this where water drains out of your shower (look for droppings). Try dripping some Kao bleach (non-chlorine smelling) there. If the rat drinks it out of desperation it will probably have a very negative impact. It probably wouldn't kill outright but might make the rat slow and disoriented and easier to trap. The bleach is sold in characteristic yellow plastic bottles, marked "Kao colour bleach".

Good luck. This can be a very unpleasant situation with the rat peeing on your precious book collection and furnishings etc., only worsening the health threat detailed by another poster here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:18 pm 

Get a dog. That is what people in Bali and Indonesia do.

Success!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:04 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Some useful advice here Kalistofa. I have returned to Lamma after a week or two away, and find that the pesky vermin is still in residence. A friendly neighbor kept an eye on the place and reported no success with the traps, although there were signs that it had stumbled upon and escaped from one of the glue traps, getting glue over a rather nice silk rug in the process. Just to stick up a finger to the pursuers, the rat showed signs that it is still capable of working mischief with this gnawed up sponge in the sink. I have now given up all thoughts of trap and release. If it does fall into my clutches, it will be summarily deaded.

Attachments:
sponge rat damage.jpg
sponge rat damage.jpg [ 80.53 KiB | Viewed 2229 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:53 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

So what's going on here? Seems to me the sponge may be to line a nest, or the rat just likes the taste. They often gnaw through electrical cable and other plastic items because they like the taste, as I understand it. If your Internet connection is cabled don't be surprised if you're offline one day, courtesy of this verminous visitor.

Does the sponge mean the rat is now desperate for food? Unlikely.

There are poisons, traditionally warfarin, although the mechanism sounds so gruesome in print in a polite forum I'm not going to go into it. The problem with poisons is that if the rat slinks off to die in some crevice, or inside a fridge (the motor housing etc.), it could be impossible to retrieve the corpse and the horrendous smell of the decomposing body will be with you for a few weeks.

Surprised the rat escaped from a glue trap. They are usually very effective. I have no idea what would dissolve the glue from the silk, though I suggest you try some WD40 on a test patch. But I assume that silk is very delicate chemically. Might be worth getting some professional advice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:25 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Here's an alternative to "Getting rid of Ratty": Raise their babies!

Pam Bovitz writes on Facebook:

"27 September near Yung Shue Wan:

I've not had the best week. And, it just got a whole lot worse. Check this out. Took the plants down to water them. Out flies momma rat. Tala, my rat-obsessed dog, catches her mid air. Eats her. Not the first time she's done this.
Baby number one falls out of nest. After screaming and freaking out, I find baby number two and three. I can't just let them die. This is my life."

After 36 comments with many warnings and extermination advice, but also offers of help and support, Pam stands firm:

"The rats have no disease. Trust me. Yes, I have snakes. Some are venomous. Some are not. They are more scared of me and slither away so quickly. The space around my house is thick jungle. There are loads of rats and frogs that the snakes feed on. There is no way I could eradicate all of the rats, frogs, or snakes. I don't want to!
The dogs have learned to leave the snakes alone. I love living amongst all of them. Seriously, I love it! I do not like that my dog eats live rats, but when she catches them, there is nothing I can do about it. Except raise her babies!

We raised a nest of babies a few years ago. They are very sweet animals. Contrary to common belief, they are extremely clean animals. They only carry disease if living in disease ridden areas. My house and yard are just jungle. Quite pristine jungle. No disease here.

We are rearing the babies. End of story."

A true Lammaite! Go, Pam, go!

Attachments:
Pam-Bovitz-3-baby-rats.jpg
Pam-Bovitz-3-baby-rats.jpg [ 101.26 KiB | Viewed 2181 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:07 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:15 am 

Zep, are you trying to start a rumour about Hanta virus on Lamma? :twisted:

We've got more than enough other viruses circulating in HK and Lamma, no need to add such a rare one!
{*Sniffle!*} {*trumpeting noise into my handkerchief*} :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:03 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:20 pm 

0 to 9 cases per year? Very rare indeed!

My chances of winning Mark 6 first prize (if I'd be playing) would be much higher, as there are several dozen winners per year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:50 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Good luck with the mark 6 (chances of winning the big one are a LOT smaller).

Just so no one can say they are not aware of potential health issues.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:05 am 

Great news from Pam! It seems to be very difficult to raise baby rats, according to people who've tried and failed:

"Rats are thriving! Drinking formula on their own and eating solids.
Keren and I will take and post pictures soon!"

Post subject: Rodent Problem?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:42 am 

Over the last couple of days I've seen evidence of a visitor to my kitchen of the rodent variety.

Anyone got any ideas or thoughts on dealing with it humanely?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Rodent Problem?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:56 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

I had a problem around a year ago - I got a lot of helpful advice here:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14337&hilit=ratty

Post subject: Re: Rodent Problem?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:57 am 

Thanks for the advice - amazingly, managed to catch it with one of those sticky trap things in the end with some dried fruit as bait.