Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Restaurant/Bar News ~ "UFOs vs. 2 Gigs" ~ Dora Tsang interview
  WHAT'S ON?    Multi-sport classes ~ Butterflies ~ Digging for Victory! ~ ARTISTICO
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Lamma Ferries App ~ Stumbling Randomly ~ Easter Crowds? ~ Föllakzoid  

It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 11:42 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Stung
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:20 am 

Whilst walking along the cable road yesterday out past Tai Peng I was going to follow one of the trials but it had a large branch across it,strange I thought, as I moved it out of the way an insect flew out of a tree and started stinging me repeatedly on the head and ears,it was painful and the bug in question was particularly aggressive stinging me at least 8 times as I writhed about trying to swat it away, it was about an inch long, possibly orange wings? Other than that I have no idea what it was, anyone?

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:50 am 

Oh dear, better stay off those trails, they are becoming almost unpassable with those spiders anyhow....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:47 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

I refuse to stay off these nature trails as they're just beautiful and lush this time of ear, full of flowers, bugs, and swarms of butterflies, so much prettier than the concreted trails.

But the Giant Orbspiders are growing bigger by the week, up to hand size, well fed by all the swarms of flying insects getting caught in the web, like the white ants swarming around lamps on Main Street and in the seaside restaurants these days.

I'm occasionally carrying a camera monopod doubling as a hiking pole, swiping it occasionally vertically up and down in front of me on these nature trails. Or pick up one of the handy bamboo poles lying around. You often can't even see these webs as they're just a few silk strands spanning across even wide roads on head level, like the Cable Roads.

I walked into one of these long strands yesterday on the snake path from Tai Peng to the Catholic Kindergarten. I got the spider crawling on my hair, which is kind of unusual as they usually scurry away very quickly when their web gets damaged in any way, never attacking.

These well-fed spiders rebuild their webs within hours, so I'm not feeling too bad about damaging their beautiful and intricate, huge webs when they're blocking my path as it's often impossible to get around them.

Anybody ever been bitten by one of these spiders, I wonder? Feels like a bee sting, but usually harmless?

But I've never heard of such an aggressive insect stinging repeatedly! Yellow wings or body? But even our inch-long black wasps/hornets with a wide golden-yellow stripe around their abdomen usually only sting once, but it's painful enough for two days and nights of agony (I speak from experience).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:52 pm 

Yeah I've had one of the orb weavers hanging off the handlebars of my mountain bike but all he wanted to do was get off, so I know they are not aggressive. Didn't really get a good look at the wasp/bug as it happened so quickly but I think it had orange wings,

J

Post subject: stung
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:41 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

If you meet Pilates Pat she has some fantastic pics of one of those spiders attempting to eat a bird!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:42 pm 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

I wonder if it was a Japanese wood wasp. They have a reputation for extreme aggression.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:02 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Defensive tulip, that sounds like a Wildlife of the Week photo!

I don't have Pat's contacts handy, please PM me!