Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Lamma Forest.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:06 pm 
Official Court Village Fool

If anything that's a success, for a net growth of trees. And how wildlife now have a vital habitat. What's next the Green Turtle's sanctuary We can hope..... Anyways. I'm spending a day hike up to this man made forest.

Like UHK students should be researching this phenonomom... Like to study the return of bird and butterfly habitat. I can't wait to go in october to do some maintenance. I wish I brought my luck steel toes and gloves in Canada.

Anyways, thank you Lammites for building this landmark. Hope that it gets conservation status, as animals live there. Any planters want to share their thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:13 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Great, you seem to have finally met Bobsy and had a good talk, it seems.
For more on the "Lamma Forest", check out its own website. It has links to all the many stories and photo galleries I've published over the last 9 years: http://www.LammaForest.com

I'm just adding my photos taken from a helicopter and from the last tree planting to the website. Here's another photo taken two days ago from atop the Trig Point, the highest point of North Lamma. This hill was devoid of any trees ten years ago:

Attachments:
File comment: Lamma Forest view from Trig Point
!DSC_3533.jpg
!DSC_3533.jpg [ 184.05 KiB | Viewed 824 times ]
File comment: Lamma Forest atop Pak Kok, on the right
!DSC_2557.jpg
!DSC_2557.jpg [ 150.68 KiB | Viewed 824 times ]
File comment: Lamma Forest atop Pak Kok, on the left
!DSC_2568.jpg
!DSC_2568.jpg [ 108.2 KiB | Viewed 824 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:52 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Hi Vanoclamma, When you next visit the forest, please leave your mobile phone at home. No need to bring any food or drink, nor do you have to inform anyone of your plans.

Just keep walking till you feel totally lost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:52 pm 
Official Court Village Fool

So with out the vegitation would rains pour down the hills to the houses? or was there enough grass to stop it all. Well either way it's good to see thick wall to hold all that water. I come from Calgary, so it's very very winter dry, (because of the way it sits beside the Rockies, Lethbridge and other places are very dry so it's very very hard to get trees growing, unlike Edmonton, to the north where you have the 100 year oaks and stuff. Perhaps we're using the wrong trees and should pine it up? also the Elm trees planted by the settlers are toast, There's some sort of bug plague for that particular tree,

Perhaps planting pines would work. Those suckers can take any thing. They're really strong. Like In Cowtown, we have this big Giant hill in the center wonder if we could plant willows, firs, Oaks there. or plant along highways, country roads, like making some sort of wind buffer against the harsh Canadian winters. (Think of Conan movies, when he's traveling some tundras). and would planting up north in alberta, push the tundra back a little?