[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - The wildlife dangers of living on Lamma
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:13 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

I just got stung by a tiny wasp while watering my rooftop jungle this morning. Very painful and my hand swelled up within minutes. And that's just after my leg got scratched during a bike ride and the resulting wound infections still not having healed completely 18 days later, despite two full courses of different antibiotics prescribed by the Lamma Clinic.

Well, feeling better now, just one of the many things you take in your stride while living here, so close to raw, mostly still wild and untouched nature. We love and enjoy it, but we're (usually) careful outside our homes. But you don't need to leave your Lamma home to make some close and potentially painful encounters with the local wildlife. Our wild dogs and boars are shy, rarely seen and never seem to attack people and the occasionally pretty big pythons usually stay outside while occasionally strangling a wandering small pet, but staying away from humans of all sizes.

But one lady spotted 4 other snakes on her recent morning run, they've become so common these days that the Lamma Snake Sightings Facebook group has become very active again this spring.

There's often a veritable zoo of small, but dangerous critters setting up home in our houses, balconies, rooftop gardens and especially G/F patios and gardens. They seem to manage to get into most flats here, despite screens, poison, etc. And we're not even talking about the harmless house mates many of us tolerate or at least ignore, like geckos and cockroaches and little spiders.

Let's swap the best home wildlife stories (and pictures, of course!), to let all our Lamma Newbies, often unfamiliar with living close to nature after spending so long living in cities, know a bit about the often very real dangers facing them even at home:
Snakes, centipedes, wasps, spiders and, most common and probably worst of all, mosquitoes!

Here's a quote from long-time forum member Tigger:

"I had an enormous spider that once lived in my flat (think the cats finally got him) that I named Benjamin.
This spider used to freak my friends out when he made an appearance on the living room wall. I used to find it highly amusing to introduce him as 'Benjamin my pet spider' to my city dweller mates. :-)"

A lady tried to get rid of a centipede on her balcony and it accidentally fell down her top! She ripped off her T-shirt quickly and exposed herself unintentionally to a passing dog walker.

A Lamma youngster stepping on a potentially deadly Banded Krait snake in their garden or finding a bright-green Bamboo Pit Viper hanging off a tree in their garden, not even mentioning the many places inside or around our flats where our very wide variety of snake species can be found.

Huge Huntsman Spiders waiting quietly for live prey in dark stairwells.

Stepping out of the shower, grabbing a towel and a huge centipede dropping out onto my bare shoulder, my own experience I'll always remember.

Tell us your experiences of Lamma's wildlife inside your home, including garden, balcony and rooftops, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:02 pm 

A few days ago, I was lying in bed using my laptop when I felt a sharp pain on my left foot. First reaction was using my hand to flick whatever was there away. Took a look after that and couldn't find anything. I proceeded to shake my comforter and a small centipede (1.5 inch) fell on the ground. Slightly injured but still crawling. I wasn't sure if I'll survive the poison but I woke up the next morning fine.

A couple of days after, I spotted a cockroach on the ground and smacked a folded magazine on it. It didn't move but had a line sticking out from it that I thought was the gutted intestine. On closer look, I realized it's a centipede biting on it! I think they were both injured after my attack but the deadlock was still on. I'm not sure who's trying to eat who. I think it's the centipede being the attacker being the cockroach scurried away every time I push it to the centipede.

Photo below!

Attachments:
IMG-20120602-099.jpg
IMG-20120602-099.jpg [ 153.47 KiB | Viewed 15874 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:38 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Speaking of cockroach, is there any suggestion on how to get rid of them?
At least on Lamma, you've got spiders and centipede helping you out in dealing with roaches.
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:10 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:54 pm 

You could always adopt a big pet spider, like Tigger did, see above. They love cockroaches, see these photos below by Howard Sheard.

According to Sean & Karen - outside whose door this cockroach-spider pair has been observed - these Huntsman Spiders can be trained to kill cockroaches. Or can they?

http://www.lamma.com.hk/forum-OK/viewtopic.php?t=1622&start=133

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:02 am 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

My favourite critter episode happened while I lived on Cheung Chau.

I was watching TV when 'something big' flew in the through the balcony windows.

I screamed and ducked my head. After the shock, I tried to find whatever had flown in, but couldn't, so I figured it had just flown back out again.

The next morning whilst rummaging through my wardrobe for work clothes, I had another shock, as there hanging upside down on the clothes rail was a bat!!

Must have been there all night in my bedroom. Was a bugger trying to get the thing out of the flat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:41 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:44 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:52 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:52 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:26 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:43 pm 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:39 pm 
Over 900 messages posted
Over 900 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:43 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:37 am 

Do we face the same "wildlife dangers" here as a few years ago, told in the first-hand experiences above?
More or less dangerous? More snakes, fewer cicadas? New dangers?

Tracy writes: "Personally I've seen more rats, roaches, wild boar and snakes in the past 6 years than I ever did when I first moved here years ago.

I actually like the boars and snakes. I enjoy living in a bit of a jungle/nature environment. But many people that move here do believe they are moving to a DB environment and seem to forget that Lamma comes with its perils/loves/fascinations, depending on which way you look at it - lol."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:08 pm 

Boars were barely rumours back then, now I see them several times a year, just on my way back and forth to the beach.