Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: B & B revisited
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:54 pm 

Well, well, this place has gone a bit upmarket. I used to eat there regularly for a few years until about 8 years ago & then stopped; food became too ropey. The display dishes out front & beckoning floor staff had never tempted me back in.

Last night, I'm glad I gave it go again - the main dishes were good: one of the best salmon steaks for ages - Norwegian, delivered whole that day and filleted at B & B. The chunky chips with it were great too; the cream sauce on the side unneccasary. At $168 with a soup and coffee/ tea, by today's prices, it's fair. Though the cream of corn soup was a bit tasteless. The spaghetti with beef, red bell pepper and black pepper was ok, though for $108 (the meal set seems compulsory), it was bit pricey for a pasta take on a chanteng classic but then the beef was better than usual chanteng quality.

Off-putting factors: $60 for a pint of Carlsberg - with no happy hour prices (that's more than some Central bars/ restaurants) + a 10% service charge. Maybe prices are why our table of three seemed to be the only Lamma residents on a Friday night; all others were day trippers - mostly couples.

Very laid-back vibe inside & out, a couple of familiar friendly waiters from Lamcombe/ Andy's Seafood and the salmon & chops was excellent - but sort out he drinks prices, and compulsory set meals I'd say.

Last edited by Dembo on Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: B & B revisited
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:27 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Great review!

Sounds like you're applying to do food reviews for the Lamma-zine?
OK, you're most welcome and accepted! More, please!

The pay is lousy but you might get free food & drinks from me occasionally for being an occasional Lamma-zine contributor:
Nick the Bookman in Prime recently, Modern Day Myth Maker last weekend, and Alan in Jing Jing yesterday...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:45 pm 

Thanks LG - was just telling it how it was.

Noted on your comments and will gladly post when there is something remarkable; quite often there isn't, though. Will certainly keep your it in mind.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:34 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

How about testing the latest new places:

Lee Ocarina Cafe and Hideout lunches (only till 5pm), Lamma Chimney,
or Lamma Grill which hasn't even had its opening party yet (coming soon according to them).

I can't do reviews myself as a few of these places are advertisers and one wrong or misunderstood word from me might upset some of them, even if it's a word about another establishment...