[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Bar & Restaurant News
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:33 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

That was definitely the best Thanksgiving dinner we've had in years!

Considering that we haven't had any in years, that's not too much praise; but it was actually really delicious and so much better than turkey dinners I've had before. Soft, moist, succulent turkey with a yummy white gravy; crispy bread stuffing with its own sauce; smooth, creamy potato mash, well-done veggies; plus, my personal highlight, the tart cranberries in a little crispy puff pastry shell.

The single portion was more than generous enough to satisfy both of us. A pretty decent deal at $170, no service charge.

The glass of house white wine was fine, perfectly suitable for the turkey, but a little bit on the skimpy side, a third full in a big glass. Pour a bit more, at least half... or use smaller glasses! Prime's neighbour, Andy's Seafood, another major favourite place of ours, uses much smaller glasses but fills them almost to the brim. ;-)

We had to rush back to catch the Pak Kok ferry, so we got their must-have pumpkin pie to go.

Four thumbs up to Prime tonight from Lamma-Por & -Gung!

Talking to chef Richie - Welcome back after your long summer break! - Prime will be serving an American Thanksgiving dinner next month. Canadian Thanksgiving menu is still on tomorrow, Monday. We'll surely be returning next month, comparing their Canadian and American Thanksgiving offerings. What are the differences, if any, we wonder?

OK, another review done, my freshly ground coffee (beans from Lamma Gourmet) has finished brewing in the French press, to be enjoyed with our takeaway pumpkin pie!

Attachments:
!DSC04269.jpg
!DSC04269.jpg [ 134.13 KiB | Viewed 4912 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:50 am 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Hmm, I would have expected the Canadian version to have backbacon.

And beer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:05 pm 

Finally got around to trying the Thai place that used to be a noodle joint, managed by an old face from the Sampan - didn't note its name but opposite Shelley's cake shop. Pretty good paf Thai, pineapple fried rice, chicken green curry & morning glory. All mild choices for a table with 2 kids that went down well with all. Will return.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:49 pm 

Photos...

Attachments:
!DSC03517.jpg
!DSC03517.jpg [ 124.62 KiB | Viewed 4861 times ]
!DSC03510.jpg
!DSC03510.jpg [ 306.41 KiB | Viewed 4861 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:36 pm 

That's the place! And it more bases than Thai with that menu.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:51 am 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

Wondering why Canadian and American Thanksgiving are on different dates?

This from a posting in a Yahoo forum, which is generally accepted to be correct (as of January 1957, when the October date was formally proclaimed as a national holiday) ...

"History and Origin of Canadian Thanksgiving: In Canada Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday in October. Unlike the American tradition of remembering Pilgrims and settling in the New World, Canadians give thanks for a successful harvest. The harvest season falls earlier in Canada compared with the United States due to the simple fact that Canada is farther north."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:49 am 

Submitted by Prime Rest. Available from tomorrow, Halloween, till Sunday evening.

Any other Halloween menus from Lamma's restaurants?
Email, PM, WhatsApp or Facebook-message them to me, or post them yourself!

Attachments:
haloween-menu-13-wp.jpg
haloween-menu-13-wp.jpg [ 63.08 KiB | Viewed 3518 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:33 pm 

My discovery of today, early morning in Tai Yuen, outside the Lamma Holiday shop close Lamma Grill. As I usually pass there only on Sundays or afternoons - "Coffee Guy" is closed on Sundays and every day after noon - I've never talked with him before, even though he's been open for a year already with his street-side stall.

Coffee "No photo!" Guy is a real coffee connoisseur and expert! We had a long chat about the best beans and brewing methods. He uses only the very best Brazilian and Guatemalan beans. He even serves his delicious ice coffees with frozen coffee cubes, so not to dilute the drink and intense taste when the cubes are melting.

Attachments:
!DSC05197.jpg
!DSC05197.jpg [ 166.18 KiB | Viewed 3547 times ]
13.jpg
13.jpg [ 230.96 KiB | Viewed 3547 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:09 am 

Concerto Inn submitted this invitation below.

This looks like a nice occasion for a free wine tasting, if you don't make it to the current Wine & Dine Festival on HK Island. There hasn't been a wine tasting in quite a while on Lamma, as far as I know or remember. Also, this is a good opportunity to get or renew your own 10%-off Lamma VIP Card:

"The Wine Tasting event will be start at 3pm –5pm, there will be 6 types of wine (2 Red 2 White 2 Sparkling) for guests to taste. EVERYONE is welcomed and no entry fee is needed.

We also provide 30 sets of Wine and Cheese Set on the day, and Special promotion on the tasting wine!

All LAMMA VIP members can enjoy Half Set of the Wine and Cheese Set for FREE and 1 FREE glass of pairing wine for the Main Course of our Candle Light Dinner!

As mentioned before, our Existing Lamma VIP is welcomed to renew their membership on the day and enjoy the special offer with their friends!

Lamma VIP Renewal Offer

We welcome you to renew your old VIP card at Concerto Inn &
at the same time invite one Lamma Resident to enjoy our 2013 VIP Privilege membership Free of Charge at Concerto Inn.

Please kindly see our poster as attachment and hope to see you there!
http://www.concertoinn.com.hk/packages"

Attachments:
Table-Stand_Nov-b.jpg
Table-Stand_Nov-b.jpg [ 87.68 KiB | Viewed 3647 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:33 am 

New Turkish Pizza House, opened last Sunday, Nov 3:

Best Kebab & Pizza seems to have cloned itself from Back Street to Main Street, same owners and chef, similar name and menu, focusing on "Turkish pizzas" for around $100.
How many places offering takeaway pizza places do we have now in YSW? Definitely more than 5.

This 2nd Turkish rest. is mainly a takeaway, with a fast-food-style bench for diners-in-a-hurry, unlike their leisurely sit-down rest. on Back Street. But it's quite conveniently located on Main Street, just before Diesel's, in the former aircon/white goods shop. This was also the location of several former bars and restaurants, most notably Corner Bar, Toochka's and a Spanish tapas place.

We're wishing them all the very best!

Has anybody tried the food already and would like to tell us about it? Same as Best Kebab, I assume? That place had some of the very best fish and chips in the village, IMHO, and we always love their shish kebabs and their great value for money.
I hope it'll remain open as well, even though it's competing now with a better located sister rest.

Attachments:
!DSC05242.jpg
!DSC05242.jpg [ 131.34 KiB | Viewed 3621 times ]
!DSC05244.jpg
!DSC05244.jpg [ 72.33 KiB | Viewed 3621 times ]
!DSC05245.jpg
!DSC05245.jpg [ 131.27 KiB | Viewed 3621 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:12 pm 

FINALLY! YSW gets a public pool table again! The last one, I think, was on the 1/F above that clothes shop on Nick's Corner, vis-a-vis Cath's Bar, the same flat where the Love's Dance Studio is opening up this weekend.

1/F of Prime Bar & Rest. just got a pool table! No info yet on the cost - free for guests, I hope - and how long you can play or how much you need to order from the bar downstairs before they throw you out. ;-)

Somebody commented on this picture on the Prime Facebook page
"That bloke looks like a right formidable opponent."
But did he really set up the balls wrong, as somebody claimed?

Attachments:
Prime-Pool-Table.jpg
Prime-Pool-Table.jpg [ 24.01 KiB | Viewed 4274 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:34 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:39 pm 

Photos from yesterday, exploring the new pool table of Prime Bar & Grill, after enjoying their new really delicious daily special of African Chicken.
Plus their perfectly seasoned hummus with home-baked garlic bread (new appetizer), the best hummus I've tasted in a long time.
Plus their new Crème brûlée, expanding their formerly most modest range of desserts.

By the way, the balls were set up correctly on their new, red pool table in their photo above with the "formidable opponent" (I've checked), but they've replaced the yellow cue ball with a more traditional, white one now.

Is anybody up to teaching me during daytime? Free games and drinks for my teacher!
I'm only familiar with the 3-ball, no-sinkholes billiard and haven't played in decades, but would love to start again!

Kris, the former "Official Court Glutton" of the Lamma-zine, has joined the staff, taking over from Richie, and he'll be managing the place.
So we're looking for a new Glutton to do food reviews of Lamma restaurants! Anybody?

Attachments:
!DSC05623-African-Chicken.jpg
!DSC05623-African-Chicken.jpg [ 132 KiB | Viewed 4018 times ]
!DSC05630-pool.jpg
!DSC05630-pool.jpg [ 164.38 KiB | Viewed 4018 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:37 pm 

First Thanksgiving dinner poster I've seen this year.

Who else is offering this traditional US feast? Promotional posters & info are most welcome in this topic, open to ALL Lamma restaurants. We need more info before we decide where to eat on Thursday night!

Attachments:
Prime-Thanksgiving-US-13.jpg
Prime-Thanksgiving-US-13.jpg [ 105.78 KiB | Viewed 3941 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:39 am 

The end of Diesel's, the end of an era in YSW's (bar) history, just confirmed by Joyce herself (while picking up my Lamma 2014 Calendars on sale in Diesel's)!

Sat, Dec 7, from 3pm: Closing down party, everybody welcome, live music by some Diesel's regulars (Bearded Ukuladies, anyone?)

Despite valiant efforts by some patrons and friends over several years, the building is finally going to be knocked down in the next few weeks, to be replaced by 2 Village Houses, side by side. The rebuilding of Main and Back Street continues relentlessly, about 8 rebuildings in progress right now or starting soon.... Plus over 9km of additional sewage pipes to be dug up over the next 5 years, going up close to almost every building in North Lamma (except Pak Kok).... Plus the starting-soon Bike Park construction.... Plus the harbour reclamation plans seemingly being revived by Govt.... Sorry for my rambling....

The illegal raised area outside Diesel's entrance and the wall around it will all be torn down and lowered to street level, widening the street considerably. No more watching Main Street life from an elevated level. Expect major congestion on Main Street and around their neighbours - the waffle shop and the new Turkish Pizza House - for quite some time.

Joyce is encouraging her loyal, long-time patrons to continue partying vis-a-vis in Jing Jing till she's found a new location for her bar which might take some time....

Your best memories and photos of Diesel's, please? Let's put together a photo gallery and archive of stories!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:26 pm 

Let me start off with a few of my own oldest photo galleries of parties in Diesel's:

Jam Night @ Diesel's (Sep 26, 2003)

Diesel's - Lucy's 40th Birthday Party - Sexy Pets (Jan 10, 2004)

Sexy Biaatch of Boracay Party @ Diesel's (Mar 5, 2004)

Alain's Party @ Diesel's (May 9, 2004)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:05 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:14 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:15 pm 

First Christmas Menu this year, submitted by the Waterfront Bar and Restaurant. Who's next?

Attachments:
Xmas-special-13.gif
Xmas-special-13.gif [ 44.59 KiB | Viewed 4685 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:10 pm 

2nd Christmas menu so far this year, from the Mediterranean Rest, The Bay, on the beachfront, close to the Mo Tat Wan ferry pier. Special menus for 2; for parties of 10 or more people with many more choices:

http://www.thebayhk.com/html1/special.html

Attachments:
xmas2c.jpg
xmas2c.jpg [ 144.04 KiB | Viewed 4645 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next