[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Bar & Restaurant News
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Bar & Restaurant News
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:49 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

There are a lot of facts and rumours going around about numerous changes in the YSW bar & restaurant scene happening now or in the next few months.

Tell us what you know, ideally confirmed by first-hand sources.
I'll start, but without any guarantees as some of these "news" are not confirmed yet. Please let me know, which of my infos below is wrong, out-of-date or incomplete. Thanks!

Thai Plus opened up recently, new menus, in the former Chinese noodle shop besides Best Kebab, replacing the former Number One (Thai) which moved to the right. Both places are run by the same owners.
Together with the Thai Thai snack place in Tai Yuen, we've got 3 Thai places now!

Lamma Grill: currently being renovated, opening up in the former C-5 Pinoy store location in Tai Yuen Village, besides the Yan Yan Store, in "6-8 weeks".

LaLa mama: will remain open till Jan 2013 when Jackson Property will tear down and rebuild the two adjacent buildings, including his own G/F property agency. New Chin. takeaways, convenient for commuters returning from town in the evenings.

Just Green's Living Room: Becoming a new and popular self-service bar with its cozy couches, bakeries and a popular harbourside terrace. Available for events like the recent Indian music concert and the Philosophy Cafe tonight.

7th Avenue: Will they start serving food every day soon and what are their opening hours?

Former Mr Kebab: An empty building in an absolute prime location, marked for demolition and rebuilding, it seems that the landlord is showing the place to several new prospective tenants these weeks. Rumours of another short-term restaurant opening in there this year as the demolition might have been postponed once again??

Jing Jing Bar: What's happening?

Diesel's will survive till next year, when the owner will tear it down to replace it with 2 new Village Houses.
Maybe, perhaps, hopefully Diesel's will reopen in one of the 2 G/F places.

Sau Kee Rest. (opposite Diesel's): New management in the next few months? Perhaps somebody we know? This has been rumoured for at least 2 years....

Fruit & convenience store, at Nick's Corner: Closed down after over 10 years, stripped bare, even the floor being jackhammered right now (Apr 24), to be completely redecorated. To be replaced by another convenience store with endless snacks and processed junk foods? Or another artsy tourist trinkets shop? Who knows more?

Rural Committee (North Lamma) (opposite HSBC): Currently scaffolded up and netted in, to be repainted in a pretty yellow, according to Chairman Chan who told me in person.
Would the seriously underused upstairs conference room in there not make a cool nightclub? The numerous Lamma DJs need a local venue and the neighbouring Policebox Might not dare to complain about the "excessive noise levels" after 11pm in this official venue! How about monthly, in-door DickStocks?

Any more bar/restaurant news & updates?

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:21 pm 

Some recent bar & restaurant news:

Sau Kee Seafood restaurant is definitely closing end of May, confirmed by their very friendly, long-time staff some of whom will lose their jobs. The place will be taken over, after some renovation and redecoration, by the former managers of Lamcombe Rest, Andy & Elizabeth, and some of their former staff

7th Avenue is now serving "Pizza, Curry, Pasta" during some of their still a bit mysterious, irregular opening hours. Quite a number of tables were occupied yesterday afternoon, so people are starting to discover it.
No details on the food yet and they've been too busy to update their website or Facebook page, but could somebody trying the food with friends give us a little overview or even a review, please?

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Wed May 02, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:56 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Such a shame about Mr Kebab, could easily have stayed open during this time!

I heard the whole building will be a macdonalds in 2013, anyone else know of this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:26 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:19 pm 

7th Avenue:
After some further enquiries, their Director/Investor emailed me their full and extensive range of drinks and a daily changing food menu that includes:
Spaghetti Carbonara/Puttanesca, Chicken Curry, Lamb Biriyani, Chili Con Carne, range of Pizzas, Calzone, plus bar snacks and desserts, all well below or up to a maximum of $100.
Who'll submit the very first food review?

Opening hours: weekdays from 5pm, earlier on weekends.
Free Wi-fi, board games, books and magazines are available.

Plans for the future:
outdoor grill/BBQ, games/competition nights, opening earlier for breakfast and lunch, showing Olympics and Euro 2012 on a large projector screen this summer. Website in progress, Facebook page for now.

Pizza Milano:
Just after promoting Big Breakfasts in the Lamma-zine - Apr 10: Big Breakfast, Anybody? - including one of my favourite breakfasts in Pizza Milano, cheerful owner Danny explained to me today that they've recently stopped serving breakfasts entirely, abandoning their very attractive and comprehensive breakfast menu, even on weekends.

They'll be focusing on what they're doing best and are most famous for: drinks, pizza and other Italian food. Well, I'll have to explore their regular menu from now on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:38 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:01 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:52 pm 

Latest news, Saturday, June 9:

Sau Kee Seafood Rest. (opposite Diesel's) has finally closed on May 31.
It's currently undergoing complete and extensive interior renovation and redecoration. After 40+ years under family management, it'll reopen under the same name (most likely), but managed by the former Lamcombe rest. management and some of their former staff.

Jing Jing bar has closed down as a Chinese-run bar and has reopened on Friday, June 8, as a Western-style one, right on time for the very first after-midnight Euro football live games. They've even added food (giant English breakfasts for $65, lowest price in the village?) to the former drinks-only offerings!
They write: "Jing Jing is by far the best place to watch the footie because it's got 3 LCD screens and it's fully air-conditioned! (Think about it - Diesel's, Fountainhead, 7th Avenue - the other bars showing the games live are all open-fronted!)"

7th Avenue didn't take this fighting talk lying down and showed off their brand-new 42" LCD screen for the footie and promised a large projector arriving soon. They've got a great selection of unusual beers on tap and an ever-expanding food menu with bar food and popular pizzas, but also Indian dishes (using Ryan's Lamma-made yogurt). This cozy and beautifully decorated venue might attract quite a crowd to join footie fanatic Saheb running and managing the place.

Waterfront and Island Bar are not showing the games at all ($4,000+/month for the Thai satellite in a bar and you need to sign on for 24 months!), so there's only a few bars competing for this after-midnight biz.

Diesel's Sports Bar still has a full year to go before the landlord will tear down this almost-historic building and erect two village houses in that spot, collecting 6 rents instead of only one. Diesel's will probably survive in some form, either in one of the new buildings or in a new location!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:11 pm 

Did anybody get the free Zhongzhi (Dragonboat Festival dumpling) this morning at 9am at the Rural Committee building?
They handed out 370 portions (plus a bag full of food goodies) to any Lammaite 65+ who pre-registered at their office, see the several posters and banners all over the village (in Chinese only, as usual these days.)

Tai Hang Rest. (vis-a-vis Diesel's) has been closed for quite some time, not sure yet if it's permanent or just temporary. A fine Dim Sum place for regulars before - "I've come here almost every day for the last 20 years!" - plus the occasional invitation-only chef's dinner for groups (where you get what the chef cooks up, no choice or menu). This was a popular place for insiders, even Chow Yun-fat has been spotted in there occasionally.

Careful when eating outside in our brightly lit Chin. seafood restaurants, the ants are still swarming, attracted by the very bright neon strip lighting, getting into your hair, clothes, bags and food. We had a pleasant enough seaside dinner in Lamcombe last night, till the swarms arrived, see below. We've had the same experience in the now closed-for-total-makeover Sau Kee Rest. just a few weeks ago.

Genuine Lamma Hilton, Sok Kwu Wan:
After 42 years in business they had kind of a farewell buffet menu last Sat afternoon, 60 dishes and even a free wine buffet! See Lamma-zine story and photos in progress. To be relaunched in Aug with a Cantonese & Thai menu, a first for Sok Kwu Wan, I think.

Jing Jing: (opposte Diesel's, see photo below): Great 9am-5pm menu with 2 pages of Western breakfast options, tested and recommended by myself. But no coffee and no Wifi yet. Eagerly waiting....

Attachments:
File comment: Jing Jing Bar & Rest.
!DSC03072.jpg
!DSC03072.jpg [ 108.08 KiB | Viewed 15921 times ]
File comment: Uninvited dinner guest, hanging off a plate
!DSC03111.jpg
!DSC03111.jpg [ 79.28 KiB | Viewed 15972 times ]
File comment: Free Dragonboat dumplings for 65+ Lammaites.
!DSC03044.jpg
!DSC03044.jpg [ 151.85 KiB | Viewed 15972 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:19 am 

Good news from the Lamma Grill (Tai Yuen Village, in the old C-5 Pinoy Store premises, beyond the Yan Yan Store):

"We are very pleased to let you know our provisional licence was issued yesterday, so we will be open within the next 2 weeks. :-) "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:29 pm 

Andy's Seafood Sau Kee has reopened on Fri, June 29 in the renovated (repainted) Sau Kee premises.

Andy Yu, his wife Elizabeth have taken a 2-year lease and are off to a great start, filling the place already on the first night. We've seen more non-Chinese guests in there on opening night than Sau Kee used to get in an entire week (including myself) before. Several of their former "extended family" of cooks and waiters in Lamcombe have returned.

On opening night, it was the usual suspects eager to try any new place and well enough off to afford the new, also renovated prices, comparable to other Chin. seafood restaurants on Lamma, like Man Fung, Sampan, Rainbow, Lamma Hilton, not shy with triple-digit price tags for single seafood-related dishes. "Live Seafood at Market Price" fills the first several pages of the very pretty, extensive, laminated menu.

A quite classy seafood place has replaced the former family-type, low-key restaurant. But it looks like they still offer the old, beloved, reasonably-priced classics from Andy's and Elizabeth's former rest., Lamcombe, just a few years ago! If you refrain from the seafood specialties, you could eat there for well below $100/person.

But we left hungry - most unusual in a Chin. rest. - the fried rice didn't show up even after 1.5 hours of waiting and many reminders to various waiters, till we gave up and took away our by now cold, oily main dish. But we'll surely be back soon, when the cooks and waiters will have settled into a new routine and look less frazzled, hectic and overwhelmed than on opening day. :D

But the views at and especially after sunset made more than up for the long wait, see below, a very long, ever-changing sunset so spectacular that it warrants a separate Lamma-zine photo story. Make sure to get a seaside table! This might become another fave and regular for our frequent sunset watching and dinner!

Attachments:
!DSC03857.jpg
!DSC03857.jpg [ 121 KiB | Viewed 17166 times ]
!DSC03878.jpg
!DSC03878.jpg [ 130.98 KiB | Viewed 17166 times ]
!DSC03876.jpg
!DSC03876.jpg [ 105.13 KiB | Viewed 17166 times ]
!DSC03780.jpg
!DSC03780.jpg [ 216.39 KiB | Viewed 17166 times ]

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:48 am 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

I went to the new Lancombe for dinner tonight, and was expecting it to be slightly chaotic , and that there may still be 'teething problems' due to still being a new restaurant and kitchen, and a busy holiday weekend.

However, It was simply wonderful. A sincere greeting at the door, and it was lovely to see most of the prior staff that used to work there before.

I was happy enough with just the above, and seeing a former Lamma Institution being reinstated, but I also have to admit that the food was simply superb. Lots of delicious seafood and our usual favourite dishes that my friends and I used to eat.

Maybe lucky, as they were extremely busy, but the food was delicious, food arrived quickly, great service, and we all had a wonderful time.

Of course I have to have a gripe :-) And the only one I could find is that it was actually 'outside' but felt like 'inside' due to the lighting. it was a tad bright so it was hard to see the beautiful YSW harbour view.

I'm sure with constructive feedback though, Andy and Co at the New Lancombe will sort that out. Shall have a chat with him next time I pop in for some good food :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:12 am 

Well, at least the new lighting is power-saving light bulbs, see below. Maybe it won't attract as many swarming bugs, winged ants and moths as the former strip lighting in there.

But should we really call this the "New Lancombe"?, instead of "Andy's Seafood", a much better name, I think. Where did Lancombe with an n originate? It's never been called that in any of their signs or menus, to my knowledge, always Lamcombe with an m. And what's a Lamcombe anyway? Even Andy wasn't sure when I asked him years ago.

As the clearest days of the year are beginning now, this place will become a frrquent sunset hangout for this "Photography Enthusiast" (as the Hans Andersen Club newsletter called me) who's shooting almost anything with his little shirt pocket camera with ultra-zoom which I carry everywhere, even shooting light bulbs....

Attachments:
!DSC03873.jpg
!DSC03873.jpg [ 73.21 KiB | Viewed 17050 times ]
File comment: Home-Coming - YSW Ferry Pier
!DSC03888.jpg
!DSC03888.jpg [ 141.84 KiB | Viewed 17072 times ]
File comment: Power-saving light bulbs - "Andy's Seafood SAU KEE"
!DSC03881.jpg
!DSC03881.jpg [ 65.94 KiB | Viewed 17072 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:49 pm 

Lamcombe Seafood Rest. has closed down in an extremely low-key way on Sep 2, informing only very few people.

Click here for more info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:46 am 

Some people might have noticed the demise of Lamma's first independent wine-only shop/bar this summer, run by Wayne, a former accountant, opposite the Bookworm Cafe. It's proven to be difficult to run a traditional wine shop/bar in YSW profitably, even though white wine is the most popular single drink in some bars this summer.

The tiny location, basically an extension or outdoor area of the Bookworm Cafe has recently reopened as the "Classroom", run by Bookworm's Ken. See the first birthday party in this nice location which ties in very nicely with the decor and atmosphere of the Bookworm Cafe opposite. But why is it called "Classroom", not an inviting name for most people, definitely very different ones from a friendly , relaxed place to hang out with friends, sharing a drink and conversation.

No details of the "menu" (same as Bookworm, I assume?), drinks or opening hours available yet, but the Classroom will probably be focusing mainly on the weekend crowds and have the same opening hours as the Bookworm (which I still wonder about as they're quite often closed at random times during week days, usually without any notice).

This concept of a special named section inside a shop or restaurant reminds strongly of the "Living Room" in the nearby Just Green organic shop with a similar cozy setting, but with couches, open to anybody to have a drink, like a glass of wine, and share some friendly discussion, like the Philosophy Cafés happening in there every month.

Attachments:
File comment: Bookworm Café's new "Classroom", photo by Bookworm
Classroom-Bday-1.jpg
Classroom-Bday-1.jpg [ 128.28 KiB | Viewed 16972 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:21 am 

Here's an iPhone photo I got from Kumar yesterday, taken at a stag party in the Waterfront Bar & Rest. The party did the rounds of over 10 bars all over HK, even making up a T-shirt and a special Monopoly board (HK edition) with the names and pictures of all the bars, a bit like a treasure hunt with all the spots being bars.

Here's their Monopoly board, see the Waterfront picture tile bottom at the bottom right. High-stakes Monopoly seems to be what Lamma's property owners are playing these days, buy property low (years ago), sell at maximum peak prices (right now), drive the other players into bankruptcy and win the game....

As Kumar informs me there were no strippers involved in the Waterfront stopover of this HK-wide stag party. No info of how many revellers ever managed to complete their circuit of bars, as there must have been many dropouts along the route.

Attachments:
WF-Monopoly-wp.jpg
WF-Monopoly-wp.jpg [ 340.14 KiB | Viewed 16970 times ]
WF-Monopoly-crop-wp.jpg
WF-Monopoly-crop-wp.jpg [ 162.69 KiB | Viewed 16970 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:35 am 

A new restaurant is opening today, a BBQ Grill ... in Sok Kwu Wan, see below.

Is this the first non-Chinese restaurant in Sok Kwu Wan? I've never seen one down there this millennium.

It's run by the people behind the famous, blue Lo So Shop, 10 minutes away in Lo So Shing. This new rest. is located in the first back street, parallel to the main SKW seafood restaurants stretch.

Any news and photos and reviews, please post here, if you're passing by this place.

Attachments:
Loso-Kitchen-Opening.jpg
Loso-Kitchen-Opening.jpg [ 112.86 KiB | Viewed 17231 times ]

Post subject: New restaurant update
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:52 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:24 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:01 am 

Lamcombe is becoming a steakhouse and bar!

Directly from the proprietor's mouth, not a Lamma rumour, they leased (not bought) the entire place, renovating the kitchen, redecorating it, to be reopened around Chinese New Year as a traditional steakhouse.

More details are known, but not for publication yet. You'll hear much more once they're ready to announce more.

This is an exciting and promising development, I think!

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next