Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:51 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Finding my Granny Chan story in the Lamma-zine (Oct 10, 2014: A Living Lamma Legend), her son Paul's son, Granny Chan's grandson just sent me this beautiful, moving eulogy. 5 children, 15 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren!!

Fai Chan:
"It is my sad duty to be the bearer of bad news, but my dearest grandmother (your Granny Chan), the founder of Man Loon Corner Store, passed away in the hospital on 2015-10-29. We are relieved that her passing was peaceful and without pain.

My grandma was 95, and while none of us expect to live forever, her passing was unforeseen.

Her funeral will be held on Thursday, November 26th 2015, at the Tsz Yan Hall (3/F) of International Funeral Parlour (8 Cheong Hang Road, Hunghom, Kowloon). The Requiem Mass will begin at 8:00pm.
The Mourning Ceremony will be on the following day (November 27th 2015, Friday) at 8:30-9:30am at International Funeral Parlour.
And then continuous in front of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Kindergarten at 11:30am. Her burial service will be near the back of the kindergarten.

My grandma is survived by 3 sons, 2 daughters and their spouses, 15 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

My grandmother was very impressive and brave. Not too long after her youngest daughter was born, my grandfather died in a fire accident on the boat while he was trying to rescue his colleagues.. And my grandma raised five kids on her own. She stepped up to the challenge and showed us all her strength. She was a hardworking and intelligent woman. She opened Manlong Convenience Store when Lamma Island did not even have electricity yet, and to this day it is one of the biggest shops on the island. This accomplishment was achieved by a widow while raising 5 children on her own.

It's not easy to convey how much grandmother knew, or what she liked, because she just knew and liked everything. Although she had no formal education, she was able to learn everything on her own, such as speaking English and Japanese, farming, and she was also very good at fishing. I have fond memories of her bringing me fishing when I was a kid, and every time we brought home lots of fish.

Besides being a hard working woman, she was always a very good mother and grandmother. She loved to spend time with her children and grandchildren, and we all owe it to her for our strong sense of values and loyalty.

To her friends and neighbours on the island, she was a merciful and helpful person. She always tried her best to help out anyone on the island who was in need.

But now she's gone. It's sad, but grandma lived a very full life. She was able to see her grandchildren and great-grandchildren grow up. We are all going to miss her, and miss her ding-a-ling change bucket sound.

I'm sad that you're gone, but I know you are with God now and in a better place filled with happiness and without pain.

I love you grandma,

Fai

Attachments:
Man-Fai-Granny-Chan.jpg
Man-Fai-Granny-Chan.jpg [ 85.53 KiB | Viewed 5834 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:21 pm 

One day later, 300 Likes and 110 Comments of Fai Chan's obituary. Granny Chan was a very popular lady. RIP.

Lamma Residents on Facebook group

Attachments:
Bud-Granny-Chan-b.jpg
Bud-Granny-Chan-b.jpg [ 22.56 KiB | Viewed 5414 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:38 am 

Just met the guy who shot the first, recent picture of Granny Chan.
He was on the ferry to visit her again in Aberdeen, not knowing about her passing.
He's just returned from several weeks in the Facebook-deprived Mainland.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:27 am 

I asked my neighbour Bud for a few words about Granny Chan's last years:

On my way today to visit Granny Chan I met Lamma-Gung who told me she had died in late October.  I last saw Granny in late July - before going to Indonesia for three months.  I told her I would look forward to seeing her following my return.  That proverbial Road of Good Intentions once again prevailed.

When I moved to Lamma in mid-2008, my daily walks included a brief stop to chat with Granny.  At the time while pretty much wheel-chair bound, her radiant smile shone to all who passed by.

A year or so later I told her I would be away for several weeks but looked forward to seeing her upon my return.  When I returned she was gone!

My initial fear was gone, as in died.  Then I learned she had moved to an Aberdeen nursing home.

I resolved to periodically visit her and did that for the past three years or so.  I was always greeted with her million dollar smile and her making the sign of the Cross and saying, "Hello Father."  I often reminded her I was a retired pastor, not a Catholic priest.  Again that radiant smile and "thank you, Father."  On one occasion my second son was visiting from Japan.  He accompanied me to visit Granny and at my behest told her I was a "Father/Father and again her loving reply, "Thank you Father!"

Whatever the season I tried to  match whatever I took to Granny.  A small Christmas flower; Chinese New Years flowers; fruit she could easily peel and always two egg tarts.  With her fragile and gnarled fingers she would grasp the "dan taat" and that delightfully  yummy crust would sprinkle down her tunic like falling snow.  Then I would gather up all the crumbs and gently wipe her wrinkled lips - with her radiant smile ever ablaze. 

Granny was only 17 years older than me, but she was the Grandmother I never had.  While my visits were sporadic, I always came away with a sense of joy, gratitude and appreciation for such an incredibly lovely person.  The small gifts I took to her were always overshadowed by the tremendous gift of joy she gave to me.

Granny Chan - an incredible, inspiring and loving person.  RIP.

Bud Carroll

高佑恩牧師
北角舊村 42號 地下
香港
電話 852-2982 1923; 6602 9187 

ewingcarroll37@gmail.com

Rev. Ewing W. [Bud] Carroll, Jr.
42, g/f, Pak Kok Old Village
Lamma Island
Hong Kong, SAR, China
Tel:   852-2982 1923
Mobile:  852-6602 9187
ewingcarroll37@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:23 am 

Mourning ceremony @ Catholic Kindergarten at 11:30am tomorrow, Fri, No 27, '15.
Her burial service will be near the back of the Kindergarten later.

333 Likes and 120 comments re: Granny Chan's life and the two eulogies so far:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2418687010/permalink/10153212762447011/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:57 pm 

Funeral march through YSW Main Street for Granny Chan today. Out of respect, no photos of the coffin or mourners and family. R.I.P.
Photos by Guy Miller.

Attachments:
Guy-funeral-march-151127-2.jpg
Guy-funeral-march-151127-2.jpg [ 134.63 KiB | Viewed 5122 times ]
Guy-funeral-march-151127-1.jpg
Guy-funeral-march-151127-1.jpg [ 114.78 KiB | Viewed 5122 times ]