[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - R.I.P. David Wolter
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: R.I.P. David Wolter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Email from Rachel, approved by Charlotte:

"We have some very sad news. David, husband of Charlotte and father of Isaac and TomTom passed away early on Thursday morning. We shall all miss his personality and unwavering wit. The Lamma memory of him wending his way through the village with his loyal dogs, George and Freda, trailing behind will stay with us for many years to come. Our thoughts and love are with his family and countless friends. Memorial service details will follow.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:16 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

you mean South African David???
I am really shocked and very sorry for his wife and kids.
I bumped into him recently and he didn't look like someone suffering from a serious illness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:22 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Very sad news. RIP Dave.

Post subject: david
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:40 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

He was a very nice man, so sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences to his family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:26 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:15 pm 

From Charlotte:

"Service for David - to be held at St John's Cathedral on Monday, 5 March, at 1pm.

"For those on Lamma, we will have an open house and get together at our home, on Sunday 4 March from 2pm - all welcome, it will be a big celebration for his life!

"David lived on Lamma for 18 years. I have written a short piece and have a few photos that perhaps you would consider for the website."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:54 am 

More from Charlotte:

"David Wolter or 'South African Dave' as he was known on Lamma Island.

There are many words that have been used to describe David over the last few days; kind, caring, friendly, generous, lovable, chatty, with a crazy sense of humour. David was appreciated for his 'shouty exuberance' and was 'filled with the joy of being' and 'was more alive than anyone else I knew'. He was all of those things. David had time for everyone. He had an enthusiasm and energy for life that was infectious. His smile really did light up the room, his humour made us all laugh and at times cry!

David lived on Lamma Island for 18 years and was very much part of the Lamma community. Involved with the running of Suncastle Kindergarten on the island, he also helped set up the Children's Saturday Cricket Club and was a regular helper at Santa on the Beach. David was famously chief organiser the year Santa on the Beach was close to being closed down by our rather over-enthusiastic police. Somewhere I have photos of Santa handing out gifts to the children of Lamma, in the background David is in serious negotiation with the police, waving his arms around, trying to establish a reasonably peaceful end to the police visit.

David loved his sport; rugby, cricket, hockey and football. He was a keen Middlesborough fan, unusual for someone from Johannesburg!

David loved to talk, meet new friends, travel, read, kayak, cycle, hike, spend time on the beach and just hang out in the garden at the barbecue surrounded by his many friends. David loved to cook and entertain, our home was always full of friends and laughter.

However more than anything else David loved his two boys, Isaac and Tom.

David's family and many friends in Hong Kong, UK and South Africa will miss him so much.

Please join us for a celebration of David's life on Sunday 4 March from 2pm at our home and / or Monday, 5 March, at 1pm, St John's Cathedral, Central.

Thank you to our many friends on Lamma, in Hong Kong, to the French International School community and my fantastic colleagues.

Charlotte, Isaac, Tom and family in South Africa and UK."

Attachments:
Slide8.JPG
Slide8.JPG [ 54.01 KiB | Viewed 2662 times ]
Slide3.JPG
Slide3.JPG [ 80.1 KiB | Viewed 2662 times ]
Slide7.JPG
Slide7.JPG [ 88.88 KiB | Viewed 2662 times ]
Slide2.JPG
Slide2.JPG [ 62.32 KiB | Viewed 2662 times ]
Slide5.JPG
Slide5.JPG [ 118.76 KiB | Viewed 2662 times ]

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:31 am 

This story with additional pictures is now also on the home page, Lamma-zine, March 1. I just got this from John who asked for it to be published here:

"Charlotte, we are shocked to hear the sad news regarding David and all our thoughts and good wishes are with you and your sons Isaac and Tom.

All our love

Betty and John"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:08 am 

So, so sorry to hear about David, who spoke to me - a total stranger - the 1st day I arrived on Lamma 12 years ago standing at the bar of the Deli Lamma...full of life, interest in the world.

I - like many on Lamma - have met him 100's of times since just in passing: on the street, on the path to Tai Peng, in the Green Cottage, on the ferry pier or standing outside the vet's waiting for Hans to see his dogs. He always radiated warmth and never forgot a name. Let's all learn from that!

My sympathy to Charlotte and the boys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:59 pm 

Message from Charlotte:

"Thank you to everyone who joined us on Sunday and to so many friends who joined us at St John's Cathedral on Monday."

Her Facebook photo album from these two days, just uploaded:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.318808441510903.72767.100001452488733&type=1