[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - R.I.P. Allan Ferguson
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: R.I.P. Allan Ferguson
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:01 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Allan Ferguson (Allan & Linda) was found dead at home this morning behind a couch.

His partner Linda had declared him missing last Saturday. She can't be contacted by phone for the time being, staying in a guest house.

I'm trying to contact his sisters in the UK via his nephew as nobody else seemed to have the contacts. More details will become available soon. Many Lammaites have known white-haired Allan for many years, even decades. Anybody living in YSW has probably noticed him sitting often outside HSBC. R.I.P.

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Tue May 07, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Allen
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:25 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Sad news.Rest in peace Allen.

Post subject: Allan & Linda
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:33 pm 

Post subject: Allan's Nephew
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:16 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:01 am 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:55 am 
Brown-Nosed Sycophant of the Month

Sad news, Rest in peace Allan.

Condolences to Linda and the Family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:27 pm 

Latest news update this morning:

Linda's back home now, all the dogs taken care of, thanks to the great kindness of friends and neighbours. Her phone's still not working.

Nick the Bookman has identified Allan's body in the morgue, autopsy results not known yet. He was 69. Our new police chief has kindly stepped in to get help from Govt. to clean up their place. No details about funeral arrangements yet.

The only reference I could find in the SCMP archives is this article which talks a lot about all the local support Allan & Linda got during their trial in 2005, and their love and care for animals:

(C) SCMP, 4 Nov 2005, by Norma Connolly:

A Lamma couple renowned for finding homes for stray and injured animals pleaded guilty yesterday....

The couple's lawyer, Christopher Morley, said the couple, who had lived in Hong Kong for more than 30 years, were 'unusual for the kindness and generosity they had shown others'.

He read out letters to the court from Lamma residents, who said the couple went out of their way to help others and rescue animals.

One letter described their 'care and concern for animals' as 'legendary'. Letters of recommendation from a local vet and an owner of a local dog sanctuary were also submitted...."
<HR>
I remember those days, a major local story and their friends even designed, printed and sold "FREE the lamma 3" T-shirts to raise funds for the lawyer defending them (see below). They're part of my growing collection of Lamma T-shirts.

Photo below submitted today by Mr DickStock, Allan & Linda sitting besides HSBC, their regular hangout. Plus Allan & Linda during better days, from the Lamma-zine archive, submitted by Allan's nephew a while back.

Attachments:
File comment: Photo by Mr. DickStock
DickStock-Allan&Linda-1-wp.jpg
DickStock-Allan&Linda-1-wp.jpg [ 135.56 KiB | Viewed 9759 times ]
File comment: Allan & Linda in better days, 1985
Alan&Linda-HK-85.jpg
Alan&Linda-HK-85.jpg [ 180.89 KiB | Viewed 9759 times ]
File comment: T-shirt to support Allan & Linda, 2005
freethelamma3_585.jpg
freethelamma3_585.jpg [ 73.33 KiB | Viewed 9759 times ]

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Sun May 12, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:00 pm 

Allan's been mentioned in the Lamma-zine and this forum numerous times over the years, including being seen on the "Lamma My Island" video several times.

But this is my personal favourite, Lamma-zine Jul 7, 2006:
Allan telling me a story specifically for the Lamma-zine because he had heard that I was collecting tribute stories after our friend Pinky Chan's death:

'Pinky Enlightened Me!'

Allan had severed all contacts with all of his family in the UK, including his 3(?) sisters, a long time ago. His nephew found my story above online by pure chance, contacting me by email searching for his uncle Allan whom he had traveled with in Thailand and beyond. The story didn't mention Allan's surname, but the nephew thought, "that story sounds like uncle Allan!", and he was right.

I reconnected them, they talked on the phone and Allan got an update on his family and all their contacts. I'm not sure if Allan ever contacted his sisters as well, but at least they heard that he was still alive and living on Lamma. Thanks to this exchange, I had a contact to let his family know about Allan's death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:00 am 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:33 pm 

From Mr. DickStock:

”Allan loved his dogs. He always had a cheerful, up-beat demeanor and never had a bad word for anyone. He had a damned good stake-out place to pan-handle: right near the ATM!"

Post subject: Allan and Linda
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:49 pm 

To Lamma Gung Thank you for all your help in finding Allan, also informing me of the sad news about Alan's death, Allans 5 sisters have now all been informed,

i did try the phone number you had left for one of Alans friends, i did not manage to get through on that number for some reason. regards. Leslie Alans nephew

ps if anyone has a contact phone number for Linda could you please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:16 pm 

Post subject: allanandlinda
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:34 am 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

i think i,ve looked at this site three times since i left the island however long it was i have no idea
i saw the info about allan and the old pics of himself and linda
i was only once at thier hoos but i,d see often see allan knocking about and always had a blether with him,he always had something interesting to say
he was a charming soul allan and linda spoke of her time in ballet to me at times
i, hope the govt. does help with the house and linda finds her way now,and with the animals

"the end may just be the beginning"

Post subject: Re: allanandlinda
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:44 pm