Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Race Report: 4 Peaks Race ~ Why Visit Lamma? ~ Missing woman falls & dies
  WHAT'S ON?    LNY lunch for Elderlies ~ Lamma Waste no mall ~ Lamma Dragons Newbie Day
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Nick the YouTube Star ~ LNY @ Tin Hau Temple ~ Rooster Dragon or Mutant Turkey 

It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:32 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:43 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

a few years ago i was on a dreadful ferry ride during the summer. a typhoon 3 was hoisted and i was travelling back to lamma. as we left the edge of hong kong island we were hit by a huge wave which made the boat tipple so much i was looking directly down into the ocean from the downstairs window. the engine cut and we had to bounce on the waves for what seemed a few minutes. everyone was screaming and throwing up. my legs buckled when i eventually got offf and spicy island made a small fortune out of terrified passangers that day!! the following day the goverment admitted that it should of hoisted the t8 as the wind speed was extremely high through the lamma channel but not in tst where the wind speed was being recorded. the point being, even the big boat didn't fair well in that kind of weather...and everyone who was on that boat with me thanked our lucky stars that we weren't on the small fast ferry that day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:53 am 
Fight Club Moderator

Alan wrote:
[
If you think it's dangerous, DON'T GET ON.

Spoken as someone who hasn't left the Island since 1994.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:23 pm 

to say that if you think a boat is dangerous then don't get on it is an unfair statement as it is difficult to judge when it is moored at the harbour. If the ferries are running then anyone would be in their right mind in thinking that it is judged to be safe. After all it is not my job to make that decision. However, a 'safe ferry' meaning it will not capsize is not necessarily one you want to board. I imagine a ferry that is rocking so much that it scares you senseless, has people throwing up, screaming in real fear, putting on lifejackets, i am really glad i wasn't on that ferry. If the perception is that this is dangerous then perception is the only thing you feel and that is defintiely the reality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:47 am 
Discussions Forum Moderator

holly wrote:
to say that if you think a boat is dangerous then don't get on it is an unfair statement

Okay then. If you think it's dangerous get on it.

Quote:
If the perception is that this is dangerous then perception is the only thing you feel and that is defintiely the reality.

No it is not. Danger is REAL risk of injury or death, not perception.

I make a distinction between being frightened and being killed. Both are unpleasant and to be avoided if possible, of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:03 am 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

The small boats are a standard design made by Cheoy Lee, an internationally respected builder. They are not unsafe. The point at which you feel the boat is "on its side", when you're "looking down at the waves through the window" is probably about 15 degrees. At 45 degrees you might want to start worrying.
They're like london buses, the engine weight in the bottom makes them very stable even when tilited over very far.
Now, can everyone stop being such big girls panty wearers about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:13 am 

G.O.D.S wrote:
The small boats are a standard design made by Cheoy Lee, an internationally respected builder. They are not unsafe. The point at which you feel the boat is "on its side", when you're "looking down at the waves through the window" is probably about 15 degrees. At 45 degrees you might want to start worrying.
They're like london buses, the engine weight in the bottom makes them very stable even when tilited over very far.
Now, can everyone stop being such big girls panty wearers about it.

And lets not forget how safe and unsinkable the Titanic was, not to mention being built by an internationally respected ship builder. The point is that any boat/ship is capable of capsize in the right conditions and generally speaking the bigger the ship the harder to capsize. And in response to Alan, its not perceived danger if people are being thrown out of their seats, its real danger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:28 am 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Greenman wrote:
And lets not forget how safe and unsinkable the Titanic was, not to mention being built by an internationally respected ship builder.

Right, because no one remembers the Titanic except you and nothing was learnt from that.

The Titanic sank on its maiden voyage.
The ferries have been running here for decades, through typhoons every year. Their safety is not just a theoretical prediction, it's supported by experience.

Quote:
And in response to Alan, its not perceived danger if people are being thrown out of their seats, its real danger.

If you insist on absolute safety at all times under all weathers, stay at home and barricade your door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:10 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Yeah, cause the Titanic sank in Hong Kong harbour, didn't it? :roll:

You do know it was hundred years ago now, don't you? I mean, if you have to go that far back into history for your counterexamples, they lose their punch a bit.

I'm willing to bet that the small ferry is at least as safe as the taxi ride to the pier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:04 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

The Titanic may have been a long time ago, but in future I will NEVER board any Hong Kong ferry once the no. 3 iceberg signal has been hoisted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:02 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Ever heard of a rogue wave, not that i'm saying we encountered one in the lamma channel a few years ago but they can be caused by strong winds.....an interesting read below anyway.......

The amazing number of recorded ship encounters with rogue waves is too numerous to recite, but here are a few.

In 1933, the USS Ramapo, a Navy tanker, reported a wave as high as 35 meters or 115 feet. In 1942, the English ocean liner The Queen Mary encountered a monster wave while it was functioning as a war ship, and yet miraculously survived. A freak wave is suspected in the 1978 disappearance of the 43,000 ton German cargo ship Mûnchen, where nothing remained except an unlaunched life boat. In 2006, a 70 foot high rogue wave smashed into the container ship The Pomona while it was in the Pacific Ocean.

Rogue waves are held to be responsible for the disappearance of a considerable number of small and large ships, from tiny fishing boats to tankers, supertankers, and ocean liners. Within the past twenty years, they have been believed to have destroyed 200 or more ships alone. Other estimates by researchers put the loss as high as one to two ships per week, yielding approximately one to two thousand ships in that same 20 year period, amounts considerably larger than that of 200.

Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/engineering/ma ... z0fEAcA8oo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:56 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Let's hope, too, that methane hydrates do not choose ferry time to be released from the sea floor, or there may be potential disasters about to disturb the peace of the "Lamma Triangle"

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/ ... 98889.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:14 am 

Alan, all i tried to articulate is that the ferries have only recently started to actually scare me and it bothers me as i have to travel evey day to work. It came out of the blue. i don't think the big ferries are dangerous but i will not get on a small one again. i wish this was not the situation but for me it is. All i was wondering is if anyone had similar feelings.