Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:30 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Open Space DJ Gig ~ Sun, Sep 27

by Nick the Bookman

Well, this is awkward. My biological computer access to short and medium term memory seems to be on the spritz. I'm here to write about the last fun filled musical melange that occurred up at Open Space. It was a Sunday afternoon and Monday was a public holiday, but I'm fucked if I can remember the dates without stopping this story and going home to read the calendar. Assuming Marilena hasn't thrown away the relevant page. So, it was a recent gig and a tasty little warmup for the forthcoming Secret Island Party. More on that later...
[Editor L-G: Sep 27, Facebook event.

Made it up the hill to Open Space mid afternoon and am pleased to learn that promptness is its own reward. I get the opening slot. The theme is Music From The Nineties. With a little bit of wriggle room I hope. How about if I'm playing CDs from the 90's? Doesn't matter when the original music was made. However, Jim runs a tight console box and I gain a demerit point(?) for starting with The Who's "Baba O'Reilly". Despite it being named the 'Oos finest ever recording in a recent Mojo magazine poll. And going down with the possibly lysergically minded early arrival fans.

So, it's into a mixed bag of 90's Club meets Dub, Ambient Amazon remixes, Tangerine Dream reissues, "The Wizards Of Oz" by Amorphous Androgynous (which roams from mid-60's psychegrunge with big choruses to post Millenium space freakery and wigged out ballads). early 90's remixes of FGTH and a sprinkling of original Nuggetty garage/psyche/freakbeat classics.

Huge thanks go to Rose, Caspar and especially Jim for popping in and out to voice their approval of some choices and ask what they were. Some of my set was definitely improved by their positive feedback and ...well, it's gone two and a half hours and the next DJ's have arrived to do their share of heavy drops. I've ended my set with a total of five (5) demerit points. Oooh! I'm a Bad Boy! But enough of my crimes. It's time for A Big Hi(gh) to Anderson and his lovely bride Elizabeth (who does more than her share of duty looking after baby Gemma). Plus Jimmy and Aries who I haven't seen since last time up the hill. All waiting their turn on the Wheels of Steel or a chance to show the USP's on their USBs.

Following me is Anderson who turns in a riotous rock-cum-rap set. Great to hear him break out of his reggae-meets-dub persona of The Groove Thief for this splendiferous sonic shafting. A man who knows his way around a tune, no question about it. I was extremely taken with Green Jello's "Little Pig", That's most likely not the song title, but I've still got the "...little pig, little pig, let me in" and the enormously painful sounding falsetto riposte chorus "...not by the hairs on my chinny-chin-chin". Dim memories are rewoken by this awesome Blast From The Past. Also, he played "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC at just the right moment and even made "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by the forerunners of the Foo Fighters sound vibrantly fresh and fucking fun.

Last but not least, he played a Korn track with the chorus of "...ashes, ashes all fall down". When I heard that track, it zapped me back to an extremely underrated rockapocalyptic novel by George R.R. Martin called "The Armageddon Rag". It stiffed. He sulked Then wrote the (as yet) uncompleted "Game Of Thrones" multi-volume saga. T.A.R. is a standalone novel of the later 60's. Woodstock, Altamont, and worse to come. A great fiction band called The Nazgul (who perform a song called "Ashman"). Wrapped around Chicago '68, voodoo radicalism and "What Rough Beast" by Yeats. The Nazgul are a band you really want to hear outside the pages of the novel. Anderson, my man. You've come the closest to re-creating that fictive vibe for me. Everyone reading this. I strongly urge you to ignore my split infinitives and buy this book. It is brilliant. And an earlier one called "Fever Dream" where Bram Stoker meets Mark Twain before, during and after the American Civil War. These are neglected gems.

Jimmie is on next. Playing vinyl. Predating even my choice of CDs. He does a very cool and evocative tour of West Coast sorta-rap-meets-happy-house with a few interesting breaks, A very pleasing interlude, but I'm not sufficiently clued up on his musical choices to name any tunes or bands.. I do know they made the beer taste better, go down smoother and ease the worries on a soothing journey to the centre of the mind. Well played and good work fella. I'm always entertained by your happy presence behind the decks.

As the evening wears on, there's a cool parade of other invited guests. Can't remember everyone, but I'll try. After Jimmie came Fin, an exuberant Irish lass who tells me later that she also played at Clockenflap 2014 with Jim. Not at the same time though. Her set is euphoric, enjoyable and emphatic.The bliss breaks of beautiful trance married to the kozmic kicks of happyhardhouse(?). She said her fave rave track is "Dreaming" by (haven't got a clue), but it does giggly things to her girly parts and probably wets the pants of everyone else listening as well. It was my most enjoyed moment of her set. Fin made me feel more like a DJ by not giving a fuck if there was dead air in between songs. All part of the vibe. Sometimes, it does just take that long to get the right next choice. And the audience has a chance to grab another drink or clap their hands or continue breathing.

The most technically proficient set was played by Danny, a quiet yet amiable Antipodean who swung by from Sai Kung. He unfurled an immense rib rattling set of new drum and bass tunes. New to me, anyway. I'm not sure if he totally adhered to the 90's Ethic. No matter. The percussion was road drill awesome. All of it nudging around 160-190 beats per minute. Topped up with an emotive palette of swoonful synth chords. Room filling honeyed swathes of aural orgasms. A gentle lunartide ebb and flow. A stunning set for 4 a.m.. Very nice to have met you Danny. I'm a fan and I hope I get to hear you play again soon.

Let's see. Graham was there and did some interesting stuff on the e-decks. Jim (our genial host) popped in and out. Filling spaces between places. I was drifting in and out and waiting until the morning to get home to Mari. But she surprised me by coming up about 7 a.m.. I'm sorry I didn't get a second chance to play - just for her. But I was thrilled she got a chance to meet Jim for the first time. More proof I have a wife (and for over 20 years at that. I'm a lucky guy!)

It was a nice chance for me to air some stuff for my forthcoming debut at the Secret Island Party this weekend. Thud, a band promoted by Lamma-based Songs For Children are playing Friday Night. Their eponymous mini-CD is worth a listen. My set is approx 0900 Saturday. Am looking forward to it. Defiant Scum are playing Saturday night and DJ Nipper has a must hear two hour set on Sunday afternoon. Nipper is a legend. First started at The Hacienda back in The Second Summer Of Love. Moved to HK last Millennium. Helps me make my mix CDs. We've done 50 now over the past decade. The best of them have been posted by Jim on mixcloud/nickthebook. I'm truly blessed that Nipper is a close friend and we share the same outre taste in horror movies. Well, now it's time to say goodbye. Time to yield a mournful sigh. Yield It! Yield It! More adventures are coming...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 pm 

Read the very colourful, fully illustrated version of Nick's review above, by Jim Brockman, 7 pages:
{L_ATTACHMENT}:
NIck-DJ-review-150927.jpg
NIck-DJ-review-150927.jpg [ 275.67 KiB | Viewed 1366 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:46 am 

From Timeout HK magazine:

Underground night spots in the outer islands and New Territories:

"Switching islands – from Lantau to Lamma – nestled in the hills above Yung Shue Wan village (a simple 25 minute ferry from Central) is a well-hidden, but long established independent venue. Run by partners Jim Brockman and Tamara Norris, Open Space has been an alternative music destination for six years already.
Explaining their ethos, Brockman emphasises the prevalence of nature, the prioritisation of passion over profit and the diversity of events, since Open Space is ‘supposed to be a community space, not just music’. In addition to a range of concerts, bands and DJs, they also host craft markets, kids’ art classes, art jams and therapy sessions, plus woodworking workshops beginning this summer.
That said, as a DJ himself, Brockman’s eyes gleam when he reveals they ‘are able to pump out music without anyone being annoyed… which means you can carry on until dawn’. Tapping into the slower pace of the Lamma lifestyle, Open Space depends on the local community’s enthusiasm to survive, while also providing an escape from the overly urban. With a decade-spanning 90s party planned for September, Brockman recommends bringing a sense of adventure, along with a torch."

http://www.bit.ly/hkopenspace