Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:27 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Photos: https://www.facebook.com/events/846831765411718/

Review by Nick the Bookman:

Well, yes and here we go for another cool night at the Live Sessions at the Lamma Bar and Grill. It's the third one I've attended.
That's not counting at least two Jazz gigs because I don't really get Jazz and can't write about it. But, I've seen my share of Jazz Masters including Miles Davis twice at Q.E. Stadium in the last two years of his life. Plus Bill Laswell, Herbie Hancock, Al DiMeola and others.
All stunning shows. No diss to the jazz hepcats who are all superb musicians, but my tastes are more acid and psyche-punkrawk etc. And where it's easier to flail around in the murk and all the pogoing punk pilgrims and write excellent outbreaks of meaningful gibberish.
Especially after this gig which was most excellently fuelled by Luke's homemade brewskis. Cheers and hic!

The running order for this session (which changed on the night) was Defiant Scum (at top and then reading down) followed by Oi Squad, After After Party, Ma + Young Bucks and Shatalene. The uncredited opener was a sweet Kiwi acoustic/electric songestress called Jas Joland. Short sweet set of six songs. All of which I missed. If you want more check her out on Soundcloud/Jas Josland. Or go to http://www.facebook.com/jasjosland. Enjoy, She's a fan of K.T. Tunstall and No Doubt so if that floats your boat...

The first band I catch is Shatalene - a drum and bass duo. Not EDM d'n'b, but proper drums and bass. Sean, lead vox and guitars for David Bowie Knives, is giving it plenty of welly on the drums. And grouchy/gutteral vocals. The lovely Natalie is more than a match on bass and various FX pedals. I thought at first she was on guitar, it was that good. Slightly quieter than the mighty DP (Dave and Paul) who toplined last year's Lamma Fun Day where the late, very lamented and still much missed Sue Shearman and New Tonic Press blew all minds and stole the show convincingly from the headliners. Shatalene have been playing together for about four years and are only going to get better.

After After Party is a wild trio. YanYan, an old acquaintance, going back over a decade is on guitars and vocals. She's done time in one of Chris B's old bands, played with Dr. Eggs at last year's Rugby Sevens gig in Central and is fast becoming an older stateslady of the HK Alternative Music Scene. Always a pleasure to hear her play. Her bandmates are Kuro with the ginger hair on bass and blokey Jaden (an honorary lady! nah just teasing) on drums. Their first song is dedicated to their friend Jason who is the only person ballsy enough to be wearing his suit and tie. But not for long. Another song is about the trouble of finding taxis. The funniest one which perks everyone up has four lines basically. :Hello!" "How Are You?" "I Love You" and "Fuck You!" Simple perfect Ramones type formula. They've got the audience on side from the first power chord and never let up. They end their set with an appealingly messy rendition of Joan Jett's "Bad Reputation" Incidentally, they're also playing a gig with Hedonia at Backstage later this week. Possibly the 19th, I think it's called "Brewski Rock"

And now it's Oi Squad. This is a seriously punky/oi music band with a take no prisoners attitude. They've been shouting their defiant message for nigh on a decade now. Moy on gruff vocals. Aided quite a bit by Muzz and the whole front row of pogoing punkfans. I think Ray is on bass. Jack's on drums and French Pierre has the twisted gnarly guitar chords. They race through a packed set with a couple of encores. It's the best most memorable hi-energy punk thrasharound since Jane and Mike (aka Songs For Children) brought Canadian punk masters DOA to HK last year. Where their back up band was Defiant Scum and Luke, memorably, broke a toe while doing his dirty dancing thing...

Finally, Muzz asked me to make sure that Gareth gets the kudos for another sterling job of mixing the sounds, Good Work Fella! And our genial hosts, Caroline, James and Raj for doing what comes naturally and helping keep me in (1) cider. I'm on a diet. She says it was probably the best gig so far. I think she's underexaggerating. It was better than good. Better than Ezra even (who aren't actually that good). Anyway, a great night where everyone could just let their hair down and party like it was almost tomorrow...

Attachments:
Live-Lamma-Grill-150613-b.jpg
Live-Lamma-Grill-150613-b.jpg [ 226.28 KiB | Viewed 1052 times ]