[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Saturday Movie Screening
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Saturday Movie Screening
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:32 pm 

There would be a movie screening organised on the coming Sat by Studio 7.
Free Entry! Nice atmosphere among group of cinephile/ movie-goers.

Venue: Gary's Studio Lamma
Date: Sat, 23rd June
Time: 10:00pm

Movie: Showing Mel Gibson's latest production "Apocalypto". Pity that this movie is not available either in HK theatres or HK distributed DVD. Gibson's controversial way of making film, as demonstrated already in the Passion of the Christ, prevails in this movie. Using Maya naive language, Visually disturbing and emotionally arresting altogether with recurring Gibson styled motifs and plot twist. Apocalypto may be murky in its message but largely an entertaining mix of adventure, action, bloodletting, chin-rubbing and arthouse trimmings.

Movie Rate: Rated R with some disturbing images

Movie Poster and details:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472043/

email/msn (dodeskaden@gmail.com) for enquiry, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:44 pm 
over 500 messages posted
over 500 messages posted

Its available at HMV Central.
Nothing new with Gibson's direction or production except using vernacular.
He sticks to the time worn style of plot as in Braveheart.
The guy knows what he is doing however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:55 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

It's been in HK cinemas for a short time a few months ago, I'm pretty sure of it.
I missed it and rented it on DVD a few weeks ago. It's available for rent in all Movielands ($10 on Tuesdays, $25 on other days, keep up to 3 days if you rent several) and on Movieflys.com, at least till they shut down business till further notice... It's available in HK to buy, like all new big Hollywood movies.

Actually, I liked this movie a lot. The violence was overhyped in all reviews I read beforehand and it's definitely an integral, necessary part of the story and of the Mayan culture. It brings alive a time and culture we've very rarely ever seen on the screen and most of us know very little about. But those cutting-the-heart-out-of-live-human-being are really gruesome, but historical. All the scenes inside the Mayan city are just mind-blowing, such an alien, hard-to-believe culture, but as accurate as they could make it historically.

Great, emotional acting by professional and amateur actors alike. Amazing cinematography, editing and great, involving story-telling, much of it leaving you on the edge of your seat. I was very wary of watching this movie as I hate gratuitous, unnecessary violence in movies, not watching most horror movies because of this reason, not expecting to like it much. But I really did and will watch it again someday soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:59 am 
over 500 messages posted
over 500 messages posted

Being interested in all things weird and disconcerting (and really cool hair styles and face paintings), I unhappily missed this movie on the big screen. I look forward to seeing native american action on DVD

In halcyon days I read a historical text discursing upon a long weekend Aztec extravaganza where people would come from miles around in gay festive mien to honour the the giver of breath, Quetzalcoatl, and watch priests atop zigurats dressed from head to toe in dried human skin cut out the hearts of 80,000 supplicants non stop during daylight hours over three days.

80,000 seems a bit far fetched but all the same it could be argued by some that it was a good thing for the peasants that conquistadors came along holding aloft the crucifix and sword.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:41 pm 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

Where is Gary's Studio Lamma?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:29 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:58 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:13 pm 

Showing some more unusual films locally is a great idea, guys! It's been tried before but never for long, unfortunately. Film buffs like myself who can't really afford HMV DVD prices and are not eager to support pirated versions, have to resort to renting movies which is cheap ($10-25/DVD) but not too convenient as the nearest outlet renting movies is Lovieland in Lan Kwai Fong, I believe, abnd their selection is quite limited in one small room.

All power to you, guys, and all the best of success with your screening(s).
I'd offer to promote them on the home page or the Events Calendar, but the promotion should probably be kept low-profile, word-of-mouth and local-only for now. The Lamma-zine gets too many readers (e.g. the police) who might want to interfere with supposedly "illegal activities".

Just out of curiousity, do you have a proper setup for screening DVD movies, at least a good-quality home theatre setup?

I've been looking at high-definition DVDs. Amazing quality, but still way too much of a premium for the much higher quality. But Full HD screens are really dropping dramatically in price and Sony's Blu-Ray format seems to be winning the format war?

Post subject: Illegal?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:29 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:49 pm 
Over 900 messages posted
Over 900 messages posted