[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - FAQ for Lamma Newbies
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: FAQ for Lamma Newbies
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:57 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:28 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:00 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Ed has more patience than I, but I can add a little:

9. Is the pollution worse on Lamma than in the rest of HK?
No, the air is much better here than urban HK. My daughter gets asthma in HK, but rarely here. (The chimneys carry the coal smoke away, and we don't have any traffic.)

10. Is electricity and other utilities more expensive on Lamma?
The same.

24. How much is a sampan to Aberdeen for an early morning start?
There are <a href="http://www.hkkf.com.hk/en/ferry/schedule02.htm">HKKF ferries</a>. First one leaves at 6 am, about $12, or you can use the same monthly ticket as the ferry to Central.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:07 pm 
Chin. Forum Co-Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:30 am 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:31 am 

While we're at it: as Rumsfeld might have said, answers to questions you didn't know you didn't know:

Wildlife:
There are a lot of snakes, some poisonous, some sneak into your house, but I've never heard of anyone actually being bitten by one.
Biggest health risk: mosquitoes. There have been cases of dengue in HK, but no malaria for a long time.
Dogs: a lot wandering round free, a lot of dogshit. In countryside areas it may be wise to carry a stick to face down packs of semi-wild dogs. No rabies here for 20 years at least.
Centipedes: a very aggresssive, large, poisonous species likes to snuggle up to you in bed and bite you on sensitive organs. No joke, very painful, but not fatal.
Birds: see our photography section, lots to be seen.
Cats: lots of wild cats. Thus no native mammals. Lots of nutty ladies who feed them though.
Rats and cockroaches, as everywhere in HK.
Geckos run up the walls, eat bugs, leave droppings.

Beaches
Gazetted beaches (lifeguards, toilets, etc) at Hung Shing Yeh and Lo So Sing. Water is safe, but sometimes not pleasant. Occasional red tides and plastic flotsam. Power Station Beach popular with dog owners, volleyball players, drummers and jetskiers.

Public library near the pier. Small, but you can reserve books via <a href="http://libcat.hkpl.gov.hk/webpac_eng/wgbroker.exe?new+-access+top.main-page">Internet</a> from any branch in HK and it'll be delivered here in a few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:24 am 

Thanks for all these answers! The official FAQ for Lamma Newbies is really making progress!

Answers to the following questions are still missing or incomplete. Anyone?

2. Details of Broadband options, ideally with web links to the different providers.
5. Park n'Shop deliveries to Lamma? How to contact Wellcome to deliver? Online? Mr. Hung's VV contact? Who else?
11. Is there a drug scene to worry about with kids and teenagers involved?
13. The freezer shop opposite the Deli will deliver: Any charge and minimum purchase? Who else will deliver to your home?
14. More about recommended hiking trails, besides the single one that 99% of tourists seem to take?
15. Necessary safety measures?
16. Do the kids on the island get on well?
17. Which ESF school would kids from Lamma zone to?
24. How much is a sampan to Aberdeen for an early morning start? Who to call?
26. Do the tourists on the weekend drive you bonkers? More opinions, please!

What else should a Lamma Newbie know before moving here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:52 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:22 am 

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:28 am 
Chin. Forum Co-Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:51 pm 
Classy Rock Goddess & Miss Lamma.com.hk!

17. Which ESF school would kids from Lamma zone to?
West Island School seems to be the one

26. Do the tourists on the weekend drive you bonkers? More opinions, please!
If you moved to Lamma for the peace and quiet and you live on Main street and your days off are the weekends/public holidays only - then yes hahahahahaha!

We live in a more 'remote' part of Lamma - Tai Peng and still I've had people climbing fences to watch me water the garden - albeit I was wearing a bikini but it was a tad annoying.. Another time the Hash House Harriers thought it would be OK to run through my garden on a Sunday... Wouldn't you think that was annoying?

http://thinkingoutloud.com.hk
Guitars & Panties:
http://guitarsandpanties.com
Sisters of Sharon:
http://www.sistersofsharon.com.hk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:27 am 
Lord of Micturition, Keeper of the spoon

Hi Chris, hope you are well and still doing the music thing. :D Do you sell on-line? If so I'd like to get one of your CDs if you can post to USA. I lost the original one I had. I think it was Blush maybe. I'll click your sisters link above and try to find out. MP3 download would be ok for me too. :D Let me know how you are doing. Use PM. because I get too much junk e-mail. I'll check in a day or two to see if you sent any message.

Meanwhile, back on topic.

We lived in a more 'remote' part of Lamma - Tai Peng and still I had people living upstairs groaning loudly all night (when they were unwell). Also they played loud music sometimes.

Another time the Hash House Harriers thought it would be OK to stop running and come into my garden on a Sunday and drink my beer... Wouldn't you think that was annoying?

Albeit it was only two of them who got lost and they were wearing bikinis, but still.

PS. Does anyone know the wherabouts of Owen Stevens and Gill ? If they are in South Florida can someone tell me where as Gill owes me HK$5.50 ?

Thanks.

PPS. to Lamma Newbies. Lamma is good, people are friendly. All the bad people left years ago. Try it. :D

Last edited by k@ on Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:05 am 
Classy Rock Goddess & Miss Lamma.com.hk!

so you are in Florida now? sent you pm etc

http://thinkingoutloud.com.hk
Guitars & Panties:
http://guitarsandpanties.com
Sisters of Sharon:
http://www.sistersofsharon.com.hk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:15 am 
over 500 messages posted
over 500 messages posted

Keith.

there at gillowen@yahoo.com and in Belize not florida. i doubt Gill will give you the five dollars as you'll just spend it on beer again.

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:26 pm 

Thanks for all these additional answers! The official FAQ for Lamma Newbies is getting closer to a beta release!

Answers to the following questions are still missing or incomplete. Anyone?

5. Park n'Shop deliveries to Lamma? How to contact Wellcome to deliver? Online? Mr. Hung's VV contact? Who else?
11. Is there a drug scene to worry about with kids and teenagers involved?
13. The freezer shop opposite the Deli will deliver: Any charge and minimum purchase? Who else will deliver to your home?
14. More about recommended hiking trails, besides the single one that 99% of tourists seem to take?
15. Necessary safety measures?
24. Who to call for an early morning sampan?

What else should a Lamma Newbie know before moving here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:10 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:06 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:24 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:57 pm 

1. Another option is to try Namfung transportation if you speak cantonese. They deliver goods to the pier, reasonably priced.

6. I hired mine, a sturdy, but bloody heavy wooden cart, from the coolies off Cheung Chau's pier for $50 a day (negotiated down from $100) and it costs about $12 to have the cart over to Lamma via the slow ferry and more if you have effects on it.

15. Speak to the landlord about changing the locks or adding locks. Make sure the windows are closed before the last person leaves. Install curtains as soon as you move in... or before...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:04 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

28. How can you dispose of a bed or other large furniture in case no one wants it?

29. What is the usual charge to get a VV to take a load from the ferry pier to Tai Peng, Tai Wan, Ko Long, Wang Long, etc.

30. What's the usual rate for a private 45 minute Aberdeen harbour tour by sampan? (so you can tell your visitors a reasonable price to negotiate)

31. What's the usual rate for a kai do from Aberdeen to YSW for two at 3pm and 3am?

32. Where can you buy those 5-gallon bottles of distilled or mineral water?

33. Where does Lamma's water come from?

34. Is there really a tunnel linking Lamma to Aberdeen?

35. Why are there 100 bikes on the ferry pier at 5am?

36. What is it about Sok Ku Wan that attracts 15 million mainland tourists a day?