Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Noise upstairs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:43 pm 

Is it mean to ask your neighbors to behave their kid? A family of three above me is so loud, especially the 3-4 year's old kid, she throws tantrums probably 8 times a day(cos I work from home), screaming and crying badly, usually starts at 7:30am until 11:30pm. The noise wakes me up almost every morning; the mood swing of that gal almost like someone is suffering from bipolar...at the beginning I thought the kid was physically abused by the helper during the day, but then I realised this was not the case.
Basically, if i don't hear her crying, running back and forth inside the flat, stomping on the floor for more than 2 hour, it is a miracle to me. Most of the time, her parents do nothing when she throws a tantrum,sometimes the mother yells at her daughter even louder as a response. I understand that young children is not easy to handle(thou
there was no such thing of tantrum in my generation..)but I believed there is something they can do...using carpet..sound proof glass...??

Im thinking about to move somewhere else..the noise is nearly unbearable..the mother seems nice, somehow I feel bad to say something...

Post subject: Re: Noise upstairs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:40 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

It's a problem, but complaining about a screaming kid won't achieve anything except make them angry.
If they could quiet her down, they would. They're not going to spend thousands on carpets in a rented house for you.

You can either move or block out the noise yourself, listen to music on headphones.
A kid that age should be going to preschool soon if you can sit it out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:40 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

I think no harm in politely explaining the problem. My old flat was over 40 years old and had thick walls,great sound proofing, never had a problem even when the floor below had a party. Big difference in the next place, new style, built around 1990. In the winter, when the AC isnt running at night, you can even hear someone pee in the floor below, or a switch being turned on/off - that's how crap the insulation is. Thankfully the neighbours in the block are pretty quiet, otherwise the place would be unlivable for me - moments of quiet when you just lie there waiting for the next sound to screw with your head. Maybe it pays to do a full 24hr sound check before signing a contract !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:46 pm 

I was told by others my upstairs neighbour has domestic violence history, they moved here from another village(im having bad luck)
Heard the kid screaming, sounds like beaten by someone and a woman laughing at the same time the other day..the couple screamed at each other at 8am today..kid kept saying no no no..maybe I have extraordinary hearing ability or the ceiling of my block is particular thin.just unacceptable..so I'm moving.
I have recorded everything (freaking clear even with my balcony’s door closed) in case they are evidence of some kind.