Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:01 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

A manhole cover was stolen from our septic tank in Pak Kok last night. I got another one free of charge from YSW, but very annoying nonetheless. I discussed it with Mrs Chan and she reckons rather than stealing for the metal, it was nicked by someone who wanted to use it (as a manhole cover, obviously...or maybe a discus or a gong?). Since there were 2 covers and only 1 was missing, I hope that's true and they don't keep coming back for more of them! Thieving bastards.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:29 am 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Where did you get the free manhole cover?
Surely they belong to the house, not any public authority?
At our last house the manhole covers were rusted through and I asked the landlady to replace them several times, but she never did.
it would have been disgusting, and possibly lethal, to fall through one and get slashed by the ragged rusty edge.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:10 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

I've no idea about ownership; my guess is as good as yours, I'd say you're right about them being the responsibility of the property.

I know a couple of locals with close ties to the construction trade in YSW, and I help one of them with his PC when it goes wrong...I called him and asked if he could get one for me, and he did - I trust that it was really a spare one! As the sewerage project has been under way, tanks have been filled in & concreted over, and the guys doing the jobs might be accumulating piles of spare ones.

Anyway, I'm keeping the replacement to one side for a while, and covered the hole with a heavy board; if the other one doesn't disappear, then I'll fit the replacement and pile junk on top of the area.

Cheers
GM