[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Dickstock, Sat, Jan 17, 3-11pm
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:35 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Location still tbc.

Attachments:
DickStock-2015-Harry-poster-b.jpg
DickStock-2015-Harry-poster-b.jpg [ 185.96 KiB | Viewed 3198 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:58 pm 

Date & time confirmed, for the location, it'll be easiest just to follow your Lamma friends this Sat afternoon.

20 years of Dickstock and NOT the last one, we hope!

20th anniversary photo gallery and Lamma-zine stories coming up...

Attachments:
DickStock-2015-T-shirt-new-wp.jpg
DickStock-2015-T-shirt-new-wp.jpg [ 141.27 KiB | Viewed 3143 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:42 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:32 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Thanks for the weather update Alan. It will be great to have so many great Lamma musicians and the usual people there and a dreadful shame if the weather knocks it for six.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:45 am 

Andy Maluche, our former Official Court Artist, writes about last night:

"One of the 10 beers yesterday must have been bad. I feel slight pain between my ears. It was an awesome party!

Thank you Gareth Dunster, John Parks, Harry Harrison, Roz Keep, Philip Keep, those guys made it happen. There must have been more than 300 people. You could feel the love.

Donations and t-shirt sale did not only cover cost, we made a big chunk of money for charity. Videos and pictures will follow. Just like those many happy kids that danced to the music of their grandparents on Dickstock, I like to shout: "Again, again."

Dick would have had a ball, slightly moisty eyed though.
Let's do it again"

Looking forward to Andy's photos and videos, he was filming closest to the stage most of the afternoon, evening and night!

Attachments:
File comment: Photo by Christopher Dillon
Christopher-Dillon-Andy.jpg
Christopher-Dillon-Andy.jpg [ 99.08 KiB | Viewed 2968 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:15 am 

Andy Maluche writes:

"Just a reminder for everyone. Tonight - Tue, Jan 20, 2015 - at the FCC (Foreign Correspondents Club) in Central is a memorial for Richard Jones. 6 to 8 at Bert's.

Spread the news and bring your memories."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:41 pm 

Dickstock - Sat, Jan 17, 2015

by Nick the Bookman

Man, Dick and Sue will be pissed to miss this gig. This midway hindsight came to me as a possible opening line for this "review". So I tried it out on some of the attendees at the Dickstock Memorial Gig. Seemed to work. It was pithy and had depths within. So, that's the first line sorted. Now for the rest...

The event is taking place at the little amphitheatre/sitting-out area at the top of the hill (seaview route) to Pak Kok. There's a good crowd. The place is heaving full and the line up is stellar. Everyone here to regret and mourn the passing of Dick (27/11/2014) and Sue (22/12/2014). To have some fond meanders down the misty memory lane and honour their worth as Free Citizens of Lamma. For me, Dick's demise has deprived us of our Bill Graham. And Sue's passage has lost us our Janis Joplin. I'm using these particular icons because they formed a large part of Dick's Sixties Worldview.

I've arrived at the site in mid-afternoon. Have missed a couple of acts and tributes, including Dark Himaya. Now Oz on congas, Clive on flute and Roz on acoustic guitar are playing a haunting, folksy tribute. Maybe it's "Country Roads". Sounds similar. They do a good job of it. Everyone does. None of the bands is here to fuck this up and if glitches occur they're brushed over and laughed at. No stress. Maintain an even strain.

Big rounds of applause to Gareth for making the bands sound spectacular. Parksy for playing the right 60s hits in between sets to keep the vibe alive. And especially for finding my ID card which I stupidly lost late in the evening. Still trying to get in touch to get it back as of this writing, but things go at their own pace on Lamma. Also a huge shout-out to Jim who blew the Last People Standing away with his DJ skills after the bands had finished, just before 11pm. Chunny was especially appreciative.

A few people have spotted me sitting stage right under the magic mushroom table where all the techie shit is taking place. I'm asked what I'm writing and the answer is generally "Acid dribblings". Partly an ongoing Freakflag Fallout from the 'Flap Festival late last year. Channel the inner cosmic warrior to try and get a hold into this piece. Alas, I can't read my dubious insights as they look more like a seismographic Richter read-out. So improvise. Aided by the wonderful stage lighting which makes everything look like the cover of the first Echo and the Bunnymen LP. Green on Red. Purple haze and everything eventually emptying into white.

So the bands: There was the semi-retired Transnoodle who uncorked a joyously heady brew of good ska licks mashed into a melange of fine Clash guitar bits and the punky sax appeal of The Ruts. And quite a few covers in the mix. Well played by Richard on keys, Johnny on guitars and vox, Tony on saxes and the Mysterious Other Two on drums and bass. The By Halves with Alex and Keiran went slightly more full-blooded cosmick folk with hints of lysergic Americana. Especially "Hedonia". A real crowd-pleaser and I wish in retrospect you had also played "Psilocybia". Sounds like a real hoot to hear. Your sound also seemed to soar in the open space. Not constrained like the last time I saw you in The Island Bar opening for The Sleeves.

The Curs delivered another masterclass. Aided by the return of the peripatetic Squinty John Hutton. Fresh from jail as alluded to by Harry at Lamma Fun Day? Or just another stop on his wanderings? Anyway, John delivered fine tributes to Dick and Sue before leading the Yung Shue Wan Curs through a splendid set. Special appreciation for Davey's mesmerising fiddle work. His skills encompass decades of tradition. The singalongs and badinage were up to snuff.

The David Bowie Knives turned in the most splenetic, visceral set of the day. A real muscular work-out for this indie power rock trio of Sean on guitar and vox, Olly on bass and Gabe on thunder drums. Magnus probably gets the hardest working drummer blue ribbon for manning the stool behind three of the bands. You can ask him yourself which ones, coz I've forgotten. Sloppy research on my part. Sean's closing anthemic delivery of "I believe in Rock n' Roll and Rock n' Roll believes in me" is still echoing-ing-ing around the amphitheatre.

Finally, The Bastards close the live section of this show. Dan on vocals. Dave on bass. Mark on guitar. Leigh on guitar (and a minor strop when his guitar wouldn't do it right) and Brendan on drums. Dan also pays tribute to Dick and Sue and The Bastards uncork one of the great versions of Neil Young's "Keep On Rocking In The Free World". Leigh does the first solo in a sort of Southern rock boogie grits yet smooth solo and Mark adds some electronics and a bit of feedback to the second solo. The Pretty Things would be pretty pleased with it. If only Dick and Sue could have been around...

And perhaps they can. Maybe there's a way. Let's see. We can take our SpaceTimeContinuum down to the tiniest strata, smaller than the Planck Length. Down to vortex energy powering the quantum foam which underpins other events occurring along the electromagnetic spectrum. Of which our bit, the visible spectrum, is about 1%. There's lots going on. Everything that has happened/is happening/will happen in our STC has its own fixed latitude, longitude and altitude in space and past, present and future in time. So, theoretically, everything can be accessed. Ways might include Multiverses: Sidetrips to Parallel Dimensions: Sideslipping the Faster-Than-Light travel barrier with wormholes. That's the outer macro.

And then the inner micro which could be Dreamtime and Trance-stage. Accessing the Akashik Record. Manipulating the CyberworldSpaceNet. Among other stuff I haven't dreamed up yet. Some of this happens already. GPS for precise points on the globe. Just expand the concept to cover the whole STC. With its current, estimated "lifespan" from Big Bang To Heat Death and total subsumation set at about 100 trillion years, I venture to suggest a way will be found to access anything at all. All is Vibes. Just Turn On and Tune In.

Hell, it could go further and characters and incidents from books and movies and art could come to life as well and interact. See Robert A. Heinlein's book "The Number Of The Beast" for a more entertaining explanation. He calls some of these events "Ficta" (from fiction). Examples could include "The Wizard of Oz", "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", "Purple Rose of Cairo", "Guardians Of The Galaxy" and "Star Wars". And a Betelgeusian-star-sized container of other films, books and art/sculpture. Everything Is... And future Dick and future Sue could be able to access all in this in their reborn vessels/bodies somewhen Down The Line. Yeah, I'm hooked on a feeling and high on believing that this too will come to pass. And guess what, Dick and Sue will still be pissed they missed this gig...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:17 am 

Lots of pictures and videos all over Facebook (some links might need permissions):

https://www.facebook.com/events/755325327882344/?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205587337101225&set=pcb.10205587338181252
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155143388180578&set=pcb.10155143389730578
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155177365330515&set=pcb.10155177377885515

Photos by Cristobal de Lamma, including Dick and our music reviewer, hiding behind a Pak Kok celeb:

Attachments:
Cristobal-de-Lamma-IMG_0177.jpg
Cristobal-de-Lamma-IMG_0177.jpg [ 50.88 KiB | Viewed 2898 times ]
Cristobal-de-Lamma-IMG_0181.jpg
Cristobal-de-Lamma-IMG_0181.jpg [ 103 KiB | Viewed 2898 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:47 pm 

Plus a few of my own shots, see below.

More shots here, click below:
{L_ATTACHMENT}:
DickStock-2015-FB-album.jpg
DickStock-2015-FB-album.jpg [ 116.01 KiB | Viewed 2805 times ]

Attachments:
!DSC09617.jpg
!DSC09617.jpg [ 87.95 KiB | Viewed 2855 times ]
!DSC09619.jpg
!DSC09619.jpg [ 107.79 KiB | Viewed 2855 times ]
!DSC09627.jpg
!DSC09627.jpg [ 119.46 KiB | Viewed 2855 times ]
150117.jpg
150117.jpg [ 92.66 KiB | Viewed 2855 times ]
File comment: All cleaned up...
!20141221_141842.jpg
!20141221_141842.jpg [ 197.47 KiB | Viewed 2855 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:13 pm 

... and some more Dickstock pictures, by our former Official Court Artist, a professional photographer, Andy Maluche:

{L_ATTACHMENT}:
Andy-FB-150123.jpg
Andy-FB-150123.jpg [ 122.17 KiB | Viewed 2793 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:26 pm 

Professionally shot Dickstock video, by Andy Maluche:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:59 pm 

Wonderful! Great memories. Dickstock live on!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:58 pm 

The music lives on!
Several of the bands from the last Dickstock and Lamma Fun Day will be playing tomorrow in The Wanch.

The Sleeves write:

"Come and join us and a plethora of musical talent at The Wanch tomorrow night (Sat 14 March) as we give our founding bassist AG a send-off to remember before his move to Japan.

If you can't find something to like out of Dragonfruits, Dark Himaya, The Punks, The Delfino Trio, The David Bowie Knives and Don't Panic, then there's always us and seven hours boozing to keep you amused !

The fun starts at 7.30 pm and it's free entry. Poster attached."

Dark Himaya and The David Bowie Knives are the bands with members living on Lamma, by the way.

Great, irreverent poster, guys! Straight top the home page into the Lamma-zine!

Attachments:
The-Sleeves-DH-1503.jpg
The-Sleeves-DH-1503.jpg [ 185.59 KiB | Viewed 2420 times ]