Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:09 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Discover local gardens as you discover your own hidden talents

Albert Einstein said, “I have no special talents, I am only passionately curious.”
And that is all you require once you decide to go out and draw the world.

Do you ever think of putting aside your camera and picking up a pencil or paintbrush to capture what you see around you?

Painter and art educator Roz Keep says everyone can draw. And she has proven it over and over again with student groups of all ages. “Drawing is just like writing but the shapes are different,” she says. “Like any other skill it requires help and practice, but you will soon discover that it is all a question of looking in a certain way and carefully recording things with a pencil, a brush or a crayon.

A long-time Hong Kong resident, Roz has had many years of experience helping people of all ages master the basic skills of drawing and painting. She has worked with the YWCA, The Island School Evening Institute and private groups. She initiated the popular Lamma group, Island Arts, which takes local children out to draw and paint their natural environment.

Basic materials are provided; instruction and guidance gets you started and If you think you can`t draw or are not in the least creative, Roz will soon challenge that belief.

If you are already an experienced artist, maybe you would enjoy some like-minded and stimulating company? In small groups we plan to discover some of Hong Kong’s many wonderfully paint-o-genic places -- private gardens, wild landscapes and seascapes and lush, green parks.

Sample Session: August 31, more details on registration. We plan regular weekday and possibly Saturday art mornings, according to demand.

Time: 9am-1pm

Cost: HK$250 per person for the sample session

Read what former students have said about Roz’s classes.

Angela Palmer was inspired by Roz’s classes to pursue art full-time and she is now a well-established artist of international standing. She writes:

"I cannot recommend Roz Keep highly enough. I had not lifted a paintbrush for some 20 years when we arrived in Hong Kong and I signed up to her art classes. She proved a most incredible inspiration and I shall be forever indebted to her. She began by showing me the basics of watercolour and we then progressed ! to compositions in the streets of Hong Kong. I have fond memories of us tramping through the crowds with watercolour pads and stools in downtown Hong Kong or venturing to the islands searching for the ideal spot where Roz would give me the benefit of her skills. She was always immensely patient, generous, kind, hugely knowledgeable but with a wonderfully light, witty touch. Even in the face of disaster she would find some word of encouragement. In addition to teaching me she also set up a class for our children and their friends which became enormously popular on Saturday mornings. Roz's inspired teaching led me to continue art on my return to the UK. I was accepted as a mature student at the Ruskin School of Drawing and Fine Art and then completed an MA at the Royal College of Art. I am now a full time artist represented by Waterhouse and Dodd in Cork Street, London. My websites are http://www.ghostforest.org and http://www.angelaspalmer.com."
Roz is a highly talented teacher and if she hadn't come into my life I doubt very much that I would be an artist today.

Sarah Brennan, successful children’s author [with Harry Harrison's illustrations: http://www.sarah-brennan.com/] and publisher writes:

I studied water colour painting under Roz Keep for a number of years and she was one of the best, most intuitive teachers I’ve ever had. The classes were always great fun, but also Roz has the knack of communicating in a way that brings a real depth of understanding of the creative process, especially how to prepare mentally and physically to paint, and how to really see rather than just look at the world around us. I can honestly say that Roz changed the way I look at things permanently! I cannot recommend her enough. Roz is a true artist, but also a generous soul, with a rare gift for inspiring and nurturing creativity in others.

Deirdre Butler, Artist

"Roz Keep taught me I could draw - not only draw but enjoy the creative process - and I have never looked back. I used to believe, from unpleasant art classes in school, that one had to have 'talent' before being allowed to create. Drawing and painting with Roz initially at the YWCA, later out and about looking at flamingos in the Botanical Gardens or dragons at Aberdeen's floating restaurants, I learned the meditative pleasures of messing about with pencil and paint. I learned I could draw, if I wanted to. I learned I could paint. I learned I could be inspired from anywhere and everywhere. Almost 20 years on I remain inspired by Roz's work."

[Some of Deirdre's paintings/exhibitions can be viewed on this website, built by L-G, while Deirdre was still living in the Green House in Luk Chau Village: http://www.Lamma.com.hk/deirdre.]

Enjoy some of Roz’s own work via the link below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/83975768@N03/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:14 pm 

Pictures from the last sample session, by Jane Ram.
Plus an invitation to the next sessions, tomorrow Thu, Sep 6, and next Thu, Sep 13:

"Basic materials are provided; instruction and guidance gets you started and If you think you can't draw or are not in the least creative, Roz will soon challenge that belief.

If you are already an experienced artist, maybe you would enjoy some like-minded and stimulating company?  In small groups we plan to discover some of Hong Kong’s many wonderfully paint-o-genic places  -- private gardens, wild landscapes and seascapes and lush, green parks.

Next Session: Thu Sep 6, when we will spend the morning drawing and painting in a beautiful private home and garden on The Peak: more details on registration.

Time: 9.30-noon approximately.
Cost: HK$250 per person per session

Looking further ahead, we plan another session on Thu Sep 13.
From late October we will schedule regular Wednesday and Saturday art mornings."

Attachments:
Discover-local-gardens-email.gif
Discover-local-gardens-email.gif [ 125.43 KiB | Viewed 1882 times ]
!167.jpg
!167.jpg [ 215.4 KiB | Viewed 1882 times ]
!173.jpg
!173.jpg [ 183.1 KiB | Viewed 1883 times ]
!176.jpg
!176.jpg [ 172.53 KiB | Viewed 1883 times ]
!091.jpg
!091.jpg [ 174.95 KiB | Viewed 1883 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:12 pm 

Submitted by Jane, Gardening forum moderator:

Discover local gardens as you discover your own hidden talents
Albert Einstein said, “I have no special talents, I am only passionately curious.” And that is all you require once you decide to go out and draw the world.

Do you ever think of putting aside your camera and picking up a pencil or paintbrush to capture what you see around you? Roz Keep can show you how.

Next Session: Saturday, October 27, when we will spend the morning drawing and painting on Lamma Island: more details on registration.

Looking ahead: we plan regular Saturday morning and Wednesday morning sessions. (Saturdays: October 27; November 3, 10, 17, 24; December 1, 8, 15. Wednesdays: October 31; November 7, 14, 21, 28; December 5, 12, 19.
Cost: Sign up for four sessions: $1,000. Single sessions: $300.

Read comments from Participants in our late August session, see posts above this one.

More detail and testimonials...

Attachments:
Art-with-Roz.jpg
Art-with-Roz.jpg [ 150.55 KiB | Viewed 1581 times ]