[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Lammarina: First-ever tenant moving in
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:42 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

In the last day or two a deep trench has been dug around the base of the big Cotton Tree at Lammarina (immediately in front of Dickstock). There's also a plastic container, with fluid, attached to the lower trunk with a pipe and syringe inserted into the tree. There may be a perfectly reasonable explanation for this - and then again...anyone have any idea what they're doing to the tree? I have pics but as yet can't get them off my mobile and onto the forum...

Last edited by Marc Antony on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:16 am 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:41 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:44 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:46 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Attachments:
Poisoned-tree.jpg
Poisoned-tree.jpg [ 128.83 KiB | Viewed 11942 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:48 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Attachments:
Poisoned-tree-trunk.jpg
Poisoned-tree-trunk.jpg [ 83.48 KiB | Viewed 11943 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:50 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Attachments:
Substation-sign.jpg
Substation-sign.jpg [ 26.88 KiB | Viewed 11944 times ]

Post subject: great pics - Marc Antony
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:44 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:02 pm 
Over 900 messages posted
Over 900 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:25 am 

the developer is King Wong Development
2882 2113

I did a search 'lamma development' - very interesting, they have plans for a large marina and development on the South of the island - looks like turtle beach in some pics and then another bay in others. Mis-leading to say the least.

If anyone has time to call the number and talk to them about the tree - please do it!

many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:45 am 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

I don't think it would be a good idea to sneak in and steal the syringes. It would be much better to immediately call the police and / or AFCD to come to the scene to collect evidence in order to prosecute whoever may be trying to kill the tree. Not only would removing the syringes also remove any possible evidence for prosecution (should that ever be seen to be appropriate), it would also lay that person open to criminal charges and distract attention away from what appears to be a real crime. Getting the authorities involved should be done before contacting the any other groups, otherwise the responsible party (whoever they are) might just remove the evidence and plead ignorance. If confronted with your photos they could simply say that they were injecting a systemic pesticide or some kind of special beneficial nutrients. Then they would still be able to do whatever they wished with the tree later taking better precautions to prevent locals from observing their activities.

Note: (posted later) The above message would appear to be redundant given new evidence that seems to have come to light regarding the fact that the land developer has truly been acting in the best interests of the tree by trying to save it from a termite infestation.

Last edited by Tavis on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:50 am 

Tavis
you are right - I am just feeling so frustrated that whatever is hooked into the tree is slowly working its way into the roots while I sit here

I take back the offer of a reward for whoever removes the syringe but would welcome anyone who joins this crusade - we could all then get together afterwards and celebrate the saving of the tree.

Good advice Tavis - thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:50 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

There have been a few Lamma-zine stories mentioning this Discovery Bay-style development (named Lamma Marina, a Yacht & Golf Club, luxury residences, maybe even a hotel) on Tung O Wan beach, close to Yung Shue Ha, the next beach to the northeast of Sham Wan (Green Turtle Beach), behind Mo Tat Wan.

I've been trying to contact King Wong Development (http://www.kwd.com.hk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=52) via various channels over the last few years, but never got a reply from them. Lamma-1 seems to be kind of an embarrassment so far and they've turned media-shy, it seems?

See two designs of the Lamma Marina below. Very detailed, high-res pictures are available as well.

The latest insider news is that they're now getting a promotional video for this proposal produced via their PR agency.

Attachments:
!LAMMA-wp.jpg
!LAMMA-wp.jpg [ 62.98 KiB | Viewed 11910 times ]
lamma_marina_concept_a.jpg
lamma_marina_concept_a.jpg [ 60.56 KiB | Viewed 11910 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:05 am 

Post subject: good news
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:24 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:02 am 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:37 am 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:18 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:10 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Not wanting to distract too much attention from the tree business, but while we await further info on that...A question which those in the vicinity of Lammarina continue to ask, is:

Why don't they want to finish it?

They have dragged it on and on. Running out of money may have been the cause of some delay, but does not explain the ongoing saga of glacier-like progress. Usually a developer is keen to complete the project asap.

There is something odd about Lammarina.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:26 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Email from Paul Lam, General Manager, King Wong Development Ltd:

Dear Lamma-Gung,

Thank you very much for your mail of April 15 relating the concern of some Lamma residents that a cotton tree at Lamma-1 might be being endangered.

I would like to let you know that the concern is totally unnecessary. The cotton tree is being helped to restore its health condition, instead of being poisoned. Earlier this year we noticed that the tree’s condition was deteriorating, possibly due to white ants that had nested at the root of the tree. Actions were therefore taken to prevent further disturbances from white ants and to feed nutrients to the tree to help it grow better.

I have asked my colleagues in charge of the situation to submit more details to me so I can give you a fuller report on or before tomorrow. In the meantime I am happy to share with you the good news that new leaves are budding from the tree and I am of the opinion that it is getting better.

We very much appreciate your concern and would like to assure you that we at King Wong love trees as much as you or anyone else on Lamma. We will do our best to protect the trees on this beautiful island.