Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? YSW Library Opening Ceremony w/Carrie Lam
  WHAT'S ON?    Children's Variety Show ~ Lamma Fun Day
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Bookworm Cafe's Co-Founder ~ Instagramming ~ Lamma Life... 

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:55 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:42 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

In the last day or two a deep trench has been dug around the base of the big Cotton Tree at Lammarina (immediately in front of Dickstock). There's also a plastic container, with fluid, attached to the lower trunk with a pipe and syringe inserted into the tree. There may be a perfectly reasonable explanation for this - and then again...anyone have any idea what they're doing to the tree? I have pics but as yet can't get them off my mobile and onto the forum...

Last edited by Marc Antony on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:16 am 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

I guess it'd be naive to think they are doing anything other than poisoning this tree - I never heard of a bunch of building site workers taking the trouble to feed a tree some nice nutrients.

Closer inspection revealed the reason for the trench - there are two or three large syringes containing fluid stuck into the exposed lower trunk - obviously they are trying to get as close to the roots as possible.

Is what they are doing legal? It's a big tree and very visible from the path, but it's on the building site land. If they are entitled to chop it down why bother to poison it? But who would care about chopping down a dead tree?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:41 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Marc Antony wrote:
Is what they are doing legal? It's a big tree and very visible from the path, but it's on the building site land. If they are entitled to chop it down why bother to poison it? But who would care about chopping down a dead tree?

Even since construction started the trees have been signposted and marked. I'm pretty sure it was a condition that they be preserved. Of course, developers in Hong Kong are good at promising to preserve and destroying the next time you look, blaming some "miscommunication" or "confusion" later. They're hardly ever brought to book.

Can you take some photos?

Post here and contact the Lands Dept for a start.
Their email is <a href="mailto:gendlois@landsd.gov.hk">gendlois</a>

But I'm afraid though we might embarrass them, if they want to kill the tree, nothing will stop them, especially not the gormless and glacially slow moving Lands Dept.

It's a common tactic to poison trees and then a few months after ask for the now dangerous dead stump to be removed, usually at government expense.

It happened to the large stand of trees near the corner of the first cable road and the path to the beach a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:44 pm 

we must try to stop this
it's a gorgeous tree

I will send an email to the address suggested but please if anyone has any other ideas, let me know

Dragon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:46 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

The cotton tree

Attachments:
Poisoned-tree.jpg
Poisoned-tree.jpg [ 128.83 KiB | Viewed 5517 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:48 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

The poison? Note container with pipe and syringe attached to the trunk, plus two syringes lower down

Attachments:
Poisoned-tree-trunk.jpg
Poisoned-tree-trunk.jpg [ 83.48 KiB | Viewed 5518 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:50 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

The location

Attachments:
Substation-sign.jpg
Substation-sign.jpg [ 26.88 KiB | Viewed 5519 times ]

Post subject: great pics - Marc Antony
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:44 pm 

thanks for the pics
I have sent them to the Ag & Fisheries Dept
and also to Yu Lai Fan

Do we have anyone who is prepared to nip over the fence once it's dark and remove the stuff? Perhaps a bottle of wine/vodka might make the chore more enjoyable - my shout!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:02 pm 
Over 900 messages posted
Over 900 messages posted

Dragon, I am pretty sure that tree is protected as it is so rare. It was part of the deal before the development started: the developer wanted to remove the tree and was prevented doing so - years ago. Polly told me about it. Bobsy had something to do with it. If it is the case, the EDP should also be the ones getting emails no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:25 am 

the developer is King Wong Development
2882 2113

I did a search 'lamma development' - very interesting, they have plans for a large marina and development on the South of the island - looks like turtle beach in some pics and then another bay in others. Mis-leading to say the least.

If anyone has time to call the number and talk to them about the tree - please do it!

many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:45 am 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

I don't think it would be a good idea to sneak in and steal the syringes. It would be much better to immediately call the police and / or AFCD to come to the scene to collect evidence in order to prosecute whoever may be trying to kill the tree. Not only would removing the syringes also remove any possible evidence for prosecution (should that ever be seen to be appropriate), it would also lay that person open to criminal charges and distract attention away from what appears to be a real crime. Getting the authorities involved should be done before contacting the any other groups, otherwise the responsible party (whoever they are) might just remove the evidence and plead ignorance. If confronted with your photos they could simply say that they were injecting a systemic pesticide or some kind of special beneficial nutrients. Then they would still be able to do whatever they wished with the tree later taking better precautions to prevent locals from observing their activities.

Note: (posted later) The above message would appear to be redundant given new evidence that seems to have come to light regarding the fact that the land developer has truly been acting in the best interests of the tree by trying to save it from a termite infestation.

Last edited by Tavis on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:50 am 

Tavis
you are right - I am just feeling so frustrated that whatever is hooked into the tree is slowly working its way into the roots while I sit here

I take back the offer of a reward for whoever removes the syringe but would welcome anyone who joins this crusade - we could all then get together afterwards and celebrate the saving of the tree.

Good advice Tavis - thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:50 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

There have been a few Lamma-zine stories mentioning this Discovery Bay-style development (named Lamma Marina, a Yacht & Golf Club, luxury residences, maybe even a hotel) on Tung O Wan beach, close to Yung Shue Ha, the next beach to the northeast of Sham Wan (Green Turtle Beach), behind Mo Tat Wan.

I've been trying to contact King Wong Development (http://www.kwd.com.hk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=52) via various channels over the last few years, but never got a reply from them. Lamma-1 seems to be kind of an embarrassment so far and they've turned media-shy, it seems?

See two designs of the Lamma Marina below. Very detailed, high-res pictures are available as well.

The latest insider news is that they're now getting a promotional video for this proposal produced via their PR agency.

Attachments:
!LAMMA-wp.jpg
!LAMMA-wp.jpg [ 62.98 KiB | Viewed 5485 times ]
lamma_marina_concept_a.jpg
lamma_marina_concept_a.jpg [ 60.56 KiB | Viewed 5485 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:05 am 

dragon wrote:
the developer is King Wong Development
2882 2113

I did a search 'lamma development' - very interesting, they have plans for a large marina and development on the South of the island - looks like turtle beach in some pics and then another bay in others. Mis-leading to say the least.

If anyone has time to call the number and talk to them about the tree - please do it!

many thanks

I did the same search - very interesting! They brag that they own over 3 million square feet of Lamma Island and intimate you should check out their web site because
Quote:
You will find practical information about our projects and the team that is creating them whether you are a potential buyer, investor, partner or simply curious about what lies in ahead for one of Hong Kong’s most beautiful islands.

King Wong Development Ltd

Let's make sure that "what lies ahead for one of Hong Kong's most beautiful Islands" doesn't rest in their hands alone.

I had a curious thought: If the ferry service was seriously diminished it might happen that over time the segment of the Lamma population that might most vociferously and effectively oppose Lammarina style developments might be the sector that would be most effectively reduced in population. Proportionally speaking, Lamma population might become less troublesome to those elites who would like to turn the place into a giant cash machine complete with big box stores and a Disneyfied ambiance.

I wonder if this thought has occurred to Yu Lai Fan? Perhaps it might also have occurred to wealthy local landowners.

Post subject: good news
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:24 am 

I just called Thomas Cheung who is the architect in charge of the Tannery Beach development.
The syringe into the tree is to kill a nest of white ants who have invaded the tree. He says they have been working with the EPD regarding this.

So if he is telling the truth, this is indeed GOOD NEWS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:02 am 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Dragon, yes, if true that is great news. So perhaps the larger container is just extract of horse manure after all. I just received the following from Lands Dept:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for you E-mail dated 14.4.2008. Please be advised that the matter is now receiving attention. Should you have any enquiry, please feel free to contact Mr. Alan Choy at Tel.2852 4262.

Yours faithfully,

(Ms. S W SO)for District Lands Officer,Islands

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:37 am 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Tavis wrote:
I had a curious thought: If the ferry service was seriously diminished it might happen that over time the segment of the Lamma population that might most vociferously and effectively oppose Lammarina style developments might be the sector that would be most effectively reduced in population.

I doubt it. Commuters and local people of limited means (eg, pensioners) are most affected. "Greenies" may include many commuters, but also those who spend most of their time on the island, and these aren't really troubled by the ferry schedule (like myself, personally, though not my wife).

The value of residential property is reduced if transport is less convenient. So on this the local landowners are also in support of frequent cheap ferries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:18 pm 

Alan wrote:
Tavis wrote:
I had a curious thought: If the ferry service was seriously diminished it might happen that over time the segment of the Lamma population that might most vociferously and effectively oppose Lammarina style developments might be the sector that would be most effectively reduced in population.

I doubt it. Commuters and local people of limited means (eg, pensioners) are most affected. "Greenies" may include many commuters, but also those who spend most of their time on the island, and these aren't really troubled by the ferry schedule (like myself, personally, though not my wife).

The value of residential property is reduced if transport is less convenient. So on this the local landowners are also in support of frequent cheap ferries.

I see your point Alan and I do realise that my suspicious idea could be seen to be sort of a fringe type conspiracy theory. But at the same time, it has seemed odd to me that the local powers have not been more active throughout the whole ferry problem and this absence of action has been noticed by others than myself and ought to give at least a little cause to question.
Also, regarding property values, certainly smaller property investors would be affected by loss of value, but temporary reductions would not bother large landholders who would have longer term development visions. They would realise that future correction of the transportation problem would reverse damage to land values. A large developer who had Discovery Bay type aspirations would likely have tremendous political and business community influence, and would be providing dedicated transportation for their own developments anyway. Temporary lowering of property values If anything, would only help them increase their holdings at a lower cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:10 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Not wanting to distract too much attention from the tree business, but while we await further info on that...A question which those in the vicinity of Lammarina continue to ask, is:

Why don't they want to finish it?

They have dragged it on and on. Running out of money may have been the cause of some delay, but does not explain the ongoing saga of glacier-like progress. Usually a developer is keen to complete the project asap.

There is something odd about Lammarina.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:26 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Email from Paul Lam, General Manager, King Wong Development Ltd:

Dear Lamma-Gung,

Thank you very much for your mail of April 15 relating the concern of some Lamma residents that a cotton tree at Lamma-1 might be being endangered.

I would like to let you know that the concern is totally unnecessary. The cotton tree is being helped to restore its health condition, instead of being poisoned. Earlier this year we noticed that the tree’s condition was deteriorating, possibly due to white ants that had nested at the root of the tree. Actions were therefore taken to prevent further disturbances from white ants and to feed nutrients to the tree to help it grow better.

I have asked my colleagues in charge of the situation to submit more details to me so I can give you a fuller report on or before tomorrow. In the meantime I am happy to share with you the good news that new leaves are budding from the tree and I am of the opinion that it is getting better.

We very much appreciate your concern and would like to assure you that we at King Wong love trees as much as you or anyone else on Lamma. We will do our best to protect the trees on this beautiful island.