[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Oil spill - Shek Pai Wan
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Oil spill - Shek Pai Wan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:38 am 

Attachments:
YSHAOS01.jpg
YSHAOS01.jpg [ 123.47 KiB | Viewed 5400 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:51 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:49 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Attachments:
File comment: (C) Apple Daily, Jun 24
Apple-Daily-oil-spill.jpg
Apple-Daily-oil-spill.jpg [ 151.33 KiB | Viewed 5322 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:14 pm 

ontv video news report

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:17 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Well, the Baroque people will be very happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:16 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

According to the government:

A government spokesman said today (June 24) that the Marine Department received a report in the morning of June 21 and found an oil slick covering approximately 10 metres x 15m in waters off Tung O Wan, Lamma Island, and a 100m x 15m oil slick at the Tung O Wan beach area. The Marine Department immediately tasked its staff with cleaning up the oil slick at sea, and alerted relevant departments.

Small oil patches were found and cleaned up at waters off Tung O Wan by Marine Department staff on June 22 and 23. As at this afternoon, no other oil slicks had been found at adjacent waters and shorelines. The Marine Department is now following up with the source of the oil slicks and the oil sample collected will be sent to the Government Laboratory for analysis.

The Government is keeping a close watch for any impact of the oil spill incident at Tung O Wan on the marine ecology. Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) staff patrolled the waters around Lamma Island including Sok Kwu Wan, Yung Shue Wan, Tung O Wan and Sham Wan over the weekend. Except at Tung O Wan, no signs of an oil spill were observed at the other sites, including the coastal waters and the beach at Sham Wan. Sham Wan is Hong Kong's only known primary nesting site for green turtles, and consequently is designated as a restricted area during the nesting season, which lasts from June to October each year. Those without permits will not be allowed to enter the area. The AFCD will continue to monitor the situation.

The AFCD also contacted mariculturist representatives at the Sok Kwu Wan and Lo Tik Wan fish culture zones. No irregularities in relation to the incident have been reported by the mariculturists so far.

Since the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department (FEHD) was notified, the department has sent staff to clear the sand contaminated by the oil spill at the beach at Tung O Wan in the past few days. As at today, about 600 bags of sand have been collected for disposal by the Marine Department. The FEHD will continue to monitor the situation and take appropriate action.

The Government will continue its inter-departmental monitoring operations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:53 pm 

I was just down at HSY for my regular swim, no signs of oil there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:59 pm 

except for your greasy body funk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:07 pm 

Oh boy, you really crack us up with your hilarious comments. Subtle wit like this is the sign of true genius - if only all posters on this forum were like you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:28 am 

Finally, the Govt, issues a very short release about this issue, after it's been in some of the majn newspapers already, some of them days ago:

http://www.news.gov.hk/en/categories/environment/html/2013/06/20130624_180438.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:25 am 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

LG, I posted the larger government PR above, fwiw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:29 am 

Stanley Chan of Lamma Corner on RTHK Radio 3 right now, about the oil spill in Shek Pai Wan...

According to Govt., no idea yet where it came from. The polluted sands have been removed, but not the oily, difficult-to-clean rocks.

It might take a while before Lammaites and visitors feel safe to go swimming on this stunning beach again. Some of my Shek Pai Wan photos from my archive:

Attachments:
392334_10150410099558149_654439507_n.jpg
392334_10150410099558149_654439507_n.jpg [ 138.05 KiB | Viewed 5188 times ]
385846_10150410105238149_214526345_n.jpg
385846_10150410105238149_214526345_n.jpg [ 85.34 KiB | Viewed 5188 times ]
408169_10150581278803149_840967005_n.jpg
408169_10150581278803149_840967005_n.jpg [ 89.1 KiB | Viewed 5188 times ]
375285_10150410097803149_1076848534_n.jpg
375285_10150410097803149_1076848534_n.jpg [ 90.36 KiB | Viewed 5188 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:39 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:41 am 

More photos from Stanley Chan:

"You can find the oil stick on the boulder rock and it looks really difficult to clean up.

The map with the red spot are the oil rocky area, it is more easy to go there during the low tide.

Under the hard work of the FEHD in those few days, the oil on the sandy beach is under control, but still needs more work for a total clean up.

Probably I will go again on Friday with the media and if the weather is good, I might walk around the coastline to Sham Wan for a full check."

Attachments:
Stanley-rocky-shore_3.jpg
Stanley-rocky-shore_3.jpg [ 188.76 KiB | Viewed 5063 times ]
Stanley-Shek-Pai-Wan-oil-spill-map.jpg
Stanley-Shek-Pai-Wan-oil-spill-map.jpg [ 91.76 KiB | Viewed 5063 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:51 am 

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum, my excuses if I deviate from the style of posting. I am also a new Hong Kong resident.

July 14th 2013, my girlfriend and I took a little hike and sadly witnessed the oil spill, took some pictures, oil, booms and animal samples. I wrote a little blog post about it here : http://www.cesarharada.com/lamma-island-oil-spill-needs-more-research-cleaning/
If you haven't been to the site yourself, watch the video : http://youtu.be/9zncIy8exLQ

I am proposing to push the research further and build a case to complete cleaning. We would use simple environmental science techniques that everyone can do with a bit of guidance :

1. Analyse water samples with simple spectrography
2. Aerial photography, using helium balloons and modified digital camera
3. Underwater photography, using simple waterproof camera.
4. Study sea life that may suffer most from oil pollutions (crabs, shells, fishes, algaes / respiratory, digestive, reproductive system). We could also interrogate local residents / anyone exposed to oil / dispersant to find out if human health is potentially at risk.

All the techniques above are low-tech, super low-cost and safe for health. Combined, they provide a very complete and compelling documentation for the 2013 Lamma Island oil spill. We can use this documentation to encourage further clean up operations, so eventually people can come back to swim, so you can eat the fish from the area without worrying of contamination.

We would perform this work over a couple of week ends, share our findings online as we work, and publish a final report / paper with observations, recommendations to clean up either mechanically, chemically or biologically (yes some microbes do eat oil).

>> So, who would like to give hand of data collection? That would be flying balloons, taking pictures underwater, assembling them on the computer, doing some maths, some physics, dissecting some animals, looking at them on the microscope, building a DIY spectrograph, researching online oil spill cleaning solutions... It would be a great community project for everyone, also really exciting for Environmental Science students.

Just to give a bit of background about me... I used to work at MIT (Boston USA) and moved to Gulf of Mexico to work on the clean up of the BP oil spill. I lived there for about 2 years studying the oil spill and developing new technologies to clean up future oil spills - in particular Autonomous Sailing robots to detect and clean up oil spills. I explain it here : http://ted.com/talks/lang/en/cesar_harada_a_novel_idea_for_cleaning_up_oil_spills.html
I am in Honk Kong to manufacture these robots at industrial scale. I live in the New Territories.

I'm interested in your feedback, and If you want to collaboratie, please get in touch : contact@protei.org

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:10 pm 

Stanley of Lamma Corner writes:

"A few months ago, we discovered an oil spill near the beach of Shek Pai Wan, Lamma Island. In order to maintain and protect the beauty of our environment, we would like to invite you to join us as a special team to clean up the oil at Shek Pai Wan on November 10 (Sunday). Essential tools such as ecological-friendly cleaners, gloves and masks will be provided on that day to facilitate the clean up work.

The site (Shek Pai Wan beach) can be reached by ferry from Aberdeen to Mot Tat Wan. Please take the ferry at 14:00 if you come by this way. See below for location of Aberdeen-Mo Tat Wan-Sok Kwu Wan ferry pier.

For volunteers who live on Lamma, please gather at Tung O village (map attached) at 14:45.

We look forward to having your participation and please kindly reply by email if you would join us on November 10.
Do feel free to call me at 6388 3194 (stanleychan2@hotmail.com) if you have any questions."

Attachments:
Tung_O_village.jpg
Tung_O_village.jpg [ 155.76 KiB | Viewed 3741 times ]
Aberdeen-pier-map06b.gif
Aberdeen-pier-map06b.gif [ 103.19 KiB | Viewed 3742 times ]
Oil-Spill-Shek-Pai-Wan-wp.jpg
Oil-Spill-Shek-Pai-Wan-wp.jpg [ 158.81 KiB | Viewed 3742 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:29 pm 
Parenting Forum Moderator-in-probation
Parenting Forum Moderator-in-probation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:36 pm 

We've got lots of aerial drone and model plane videos and photos of Shek Pai Wan on YouTube, by Joe the Quadrocopter Aviator:
http://www.youtube.com/user/lammajoeyu

It was a former favourite flying spot of his, but nowadays he's spotted more frequently on and off Power Station Beach.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:33 am 

Update video of the cleaning of the Shek Pai Wan Oil Spill :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vED2jrKSkg

and walking around the oily rocks :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bbqbyEOvpo

Thank you all for all those who came for the cleaning !