[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Lamma house prices to drop next year (apparently)
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:14 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Let's spell it out once again, click below if you really consider moving to Lamma:

Challenges of living on Lamma,

10 reasons to avoid Lamma,

Warnings before moving to Lamma.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:16 pm 

You'll be fine in Pak Kok I'm sure. Best place to be on Lamma.
Hope to meet you in Mrs Chan some day then...
Cheers Matie :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:38 pm 

http://eng.28hse.com/utf8/searchpropert ... 0-0-2-0-0/

..Good luck with your HKD8000 on Ma Wan...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:40 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:54 pm 

ok Lamma-Gung, we could not find anything to stay in for the next 10 days on Lamma so we are going to Vietnam for the first time (much cheaper then staying here!) and will come back with fresh air to follow your advice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:52 pm 

Do you mean the village house in YSL Old Village just to the right as you head up the path? If so, monthly rental paid by tenants is 42K.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:08 pm 

Yes! So they got a $10K "discount"...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:18 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Very happy to see that people are starting to get turned off Lamma. For all the reasons Chris Rogers mentioned. He's right about them all - dogs, building works, high rent, weekend crowds who think Lamma is like Disneyland and not a functioning village community. Spread the word - it's an overpriced shithole. Hear ye, hear ye.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:31 pm 

From a Lamma Island backgrounder for a group of German geography students group visiting Lamma yesterday. I was asked by their professor to guide them through YSW and via the Family Trail to Sok Kwu Wan, answering their many questions in German and English. See upcoming Lamma-zine photo story.

This is the most striking quote from their extensive Lamma backgrounder, written by them and sent to me a few weeks before their visit yesterday. I've never before seen this expressed so clearly and succinctly, definitely not by any HK Govt. Dept.:

"Housing, Gentrification

• The process of gentrification on Hong Kong Island lets people escape from HK to Lamma Island

• People who cannot longer afford the high rents on HK Island are driven out and move to Lamma

• Consequently, there has been a doubling of rent over the past four years on Lamma

Reasons for the increase of rents:
- Higher paid professionals from HK Island are used to higher prices and are prepared to pay a lot more to live on Lamma
- Because of the Financial crisis in 2008 lots of employees in the sector of financial services couldn´t afford to live on HK Island any longer and moved to Lamma

• Urbanization on Lamma has increased and the island is transforming radically

• Lamma Island is known for a relaxed attitude and alternative lifestyles away from the pollution, the high population density and skyscrapers of Hong Kong City

• Reactions to the higher rents are:
-> Moving to less popular villages away from the ferries and the infrastructure
-> Looking for smaller places or finding a roommate"

Comments and opinions, please?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:33 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:09 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

....we need to start some sort of terror campaign. I for one am getting really pissed off at all the newbies and the crowded weekday ferries. Who needs 'em? A mate suggested an idea: only permanent residents can APPLY. After all those years of Lamma being shunned and having an unflattering stigma, they're moving here in droves. I say we break our boys - our old drug dealers, robbers, murderers and other general sullen reprobates - out of their respective jails (in their various countries) and put them back on the streets to bring down the good name of Lamma. Arm the Skol Patrol, I say!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:32 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

I could let my hair and beard grow and take the torch from the recently departed Alan, sitting beside the ETC drinking beer and hassling passers-by for change.

I might as well get in the practice, I'll need to do that in a few years when I'm sleeping under a tarp on the hillside.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:43 pm 

no worry, I do not think that all of them will be able to stay for more than 1 year without Hong Kong services. I heard some comments about how hard is life in the countryside... so far away from the city.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:31 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Why not Park Island?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:58 pm 

why not indeed ??? if you do not like it here MOVE ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:27 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:18 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:46 pm 

by foot... with snakes and centipedes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:21 pm 

Attachments:
!DSC03689.jpg
!DSC03689.jpg [ 91.72 KiB | Viewed 2097 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:53 pm 

If anyone is mad enough to pay HK$69,000 per month to live on Lamma Island all I can say is they need "sectioning" - its also a case that the so called "Property Agents" have lost the plot, never mind the fact that the banks seem willing to extend ridiculous mortgages on Lamma Island properties without even a surveyors structural report, i.e., much of the electrical's, original plumbing work and condition of the concrete and metal bar are in a terrible condition on many properties built prior to 2000 - the repair costs alone when things go wrong are huge, as many can attest too.

However, in the final quarter of the year, rents are still increasing - one colleague in YSW, German by the way, has been handed a 65% rent increase, that's from a rent presently at HK$7,000 to HK$11,000 - no work done on the flat, it has not been sold, just price gouging - they told the Landlord to take a hike and will be leaving the Island, so more customers lost from the small bars and eateries on the Island.

My husband has decided that should our rent increase go above a certain level in the second quarter 2014, we'll be forced to move off Island to the "New Territories" where similar housing to Lamma is available currently at a lower price point - more importantly, these are not 'basic only' homes, but ones with decent Western style kitchen's and bathrooms - obviously, no ferry trips required, good transportation links and schools catering to non-locals all on hand, basically, with bills you can live comfortably on HK$10,000 expenditure - no dog shit to contend with either and fast broadband services too.

So there you go, you can live within a 1 hour journey time to Central, have decent views of Hills, no weekend tourists and live a very similar, if frugal lifestyle, to that on Lamma for a significantly lower price point, and in some instances, actually in a flat of upto 900 Sq Ft - China is also very close, thus opening up the prospect of crossing the boarder each day and working in Shenzhen - I'd like to say we'll miss the "community" that existed on Lamma, but the fact is, that seemed to have died a death by 2010 - until then, this was a great place to live, work and raise children. I cannot say that now having lived more than 20 years in HK, most of those on Lamma.

On the economics front, to those contemplating purchasing property on Lamma, at the ridiculous costs requested in our Property Agents, please do think again, US long term interest rates are rising and our dollar is linked to the US dollar - so no more cheap mortgages with low interests rates shortly - further, China has gone off the boil and both Malaysia and Indonesia are slipping into recession - so economically the picture is not rosy, particularly given what's occurring in Shanghai presently to boost its economy and competitiveness with HK - also think USA and Europe presently.

Locally, turnover in property has dropped drastically and the sky-high cost per feet has been declining since June - well according to the local Chinese property websites, so now does not seem a time to invest in over inflated property - for those who care to disagree, take a look at what's happened on Discovery Bay - hardly any transactions for months and only a handful of properties now for sale - checked it out personally last week and was shocked at how much Disco Bay Ferry now is!

For the price gougers, once costs drop on Hong Kong Island and your rich tenants bugger off to better quarters , what are you going to do then - particularly those now lumbered with mortgages of $9,000 and above on flats that are only 630 Sq ft in reality - expect a few foreclosures, as the reality is that the average flat on Lamma thats older than 10 years really is not worth HK$10-15,000 to rent, particularly when cheaper rentals are available for better quality properties in the NT's if people can be bothered to make the necessary inquiries - and when they do, like me and my husband, they'll come to their senses.

So, farewell Lamma, priced out by fools, but at least we get a better flat at a cheaper price point with a good school and good transport close by - no more preying on the ferry, particularly during typhoon season or inclement days!!!!!!

By the way, I'm referring to Yuen Long - but other NT areas offer the same village-type housing we are used to here, luckily the price gougers and stupid Property Agents have not ruined these places yet.

As for Park Island, husband cannot stand the thought of a ferry again - so thats sorted our choice out, still, if we are not gouged excessively early next year, we may remain for our daughters sake - but greed does seem endemic on our island presently, and as LG has indicated, it seems no cure is presently at hand - the shocking thing is that after SARs you could rent for $3,800, now same property rents are $12,000 and over - which is a 300% increase, which in reality is unsustainable in the longterm - just waiting for the crash now after the feeding frenzy.