[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - 3G and 4G LTE on Lamma
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:09 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:11 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:24 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:34 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:37 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:00 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:37 pm 

128kps+ is what Smartone promises after capping you at 5GB, compared to the 5,000kps (5Mbps) we can get from home broadband these days, without capping.

So 4G LTE is not suitable for downloading media files, but great and extremely fast for everything else. I run it all the time on my mobile now, even at home; no more Wifi passwords in the restaurants needed. With regular, intensive use, including movie trailers, YouTube and radio/music streaming (but without GB-sized music or video downloads) I'm unlikely to ever reach the 5GB capping.

But the 4G coverage is far from complete, even inside some YSW Main Street restaurants, it drops back to 3G speeds. Test in your home and in favourite bar/restaurant and other places and let us know, please.

A 4G modem/router for your home PC runs at about $2,000 and it's tricky-but-possible to install, even for Chun Man Computer. Downloading huge media files at off-peak times overnight on home broadband remain the best option for Lammaites for now, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:22 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

I spoke to Andy and he's had Smartone 4G for a few months.

He says he goes over 1 TB a month and about 15M speed..

The cap in practice means that after you reach 5GB, they divide up whatever bandwidth is left. Currently, on Lamma, there is enough to go around so it is unrestricted. Obviously this could change with more smartphones, iPads, etc..

The other issue is as LG mentioned, using it with your PC. A 4G router goes for $2000. You can use a tethered Android phone but they're not designed for continuous high intensity use and tend to burn out if you use one as a router.

And all the time HGC's fucking fibre network is beneath our feet, dark and unavailable while they promote the lower capacity, more expensive 4G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:07 pm 

1TB? So he might be the heaviest user on all of Lamma, gorging more than 200 times of the capping?

So I assume the capping will kick in shortly, as he's set up a few more data-hungry people already. Where do they find the time to enjoy all these thousands of hours of media files (1TB would be about 2,000 hours of digitised TV or hundreds of DVD-quality movies)?

Attachments:
File comment: Poster from Facebook
Screenshot-130417.jpg
Screenshot-130417.jpg [ 132.49 KiB | Viewed 3430 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:23 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:30 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

The chosen ones in touch with their inner geek might approach this by buying one of the cheaper Asus routers with USB port(s) ($400-600), installing the Shibby mod version of the Tomato firmware and plugging in a supported (and unlocked?) 3G/4G USB modem stick ($300-700). After a few minutes in the menus pray to your geek god of choice (if any), adjust your pocket protector (surely), reboot the gadget and you're done. Voilà.

Then again it might get a little more involved than that...

I realize that there should be plenty of bandwidth to go around until foreseeable future (skyscrapers and new towns on Lamma, anyone?), but the guarantee of mere 128kbps down speed is still almost insulting.

If only a low-speed mobile data link is needed (e.g. as a backup connection) and the location gets decent signal, one could try one of the $70-80 packages for unlimited early-3G era 384kbps. (expect higher latency though)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:17 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 am 

Here are the result of a little test I dId last March around 3 pm.

I tested 3 LTE, China Mobile LTE and PCCW 3G . Tested at home (Tai Peng Old) on my laptop with wifi from my old tablet Samsung Galaxy Tab 1 in terthering mode.

3 LTE
{L_IMAGE}

China Mobile LTE
{L_IMAGE}

PCCW 3G
{L_IMAGE}

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:10 pm 

Hello to all

Im going to subscribe 4G in Lamma to use as internet at home.
Before I sign for a 2 years contract I would like to try all networks in my place.
I have a already a friend lending me her 3 sim card, I will buy a 4g prepaid sim from smartone and will change my current PCCW free to go monthly plan to 4g (if I can).

Is there anyone using 1010 4G here? Anyone heard if good or not?

So here is what I am asking : do anyone have a 4g device I could borrow to do the test?

I was also thinking of proposing my test sim cards to anyone interested in testing in his location .
So that we could draw a little map of the 4g networks in Lamma.

Any idea, or help (device or even 1010, or PCCW 4G sim card) would be appreciate.

Also any feedback for current users of 4G would be great (networks and devices such as USB modems or 4g routers or pocket wifi)

Cheers !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:22 pm 

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:53 am 

I ve come across that information 2 days ago.
The speed difference seems quite impressive...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/23/hong ... lte-cat-4/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:34 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:11 pm 

What's the latest? I tested 3 LTE and was get ~20mb. Smartone 3G was 0.15mb!! Could check 4G on smartone since my wife is only on a 3G plan.

From what I have been reading seems like Smartones "FUP" speed isn't too bad, or doesn't slow at all. Any idea if this is still true?

Yueng Shue Long Old Village

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:55 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:42 am