[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Distemper Warning to all Lamma Dog Owners
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:30 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

The poster below has just been submitted by a worried dog owner.
I've had this fact-checked already by LAWC and they've confirmed it.

Attachments:
Distemper.gif
Distemper.gif [ 29.26 KiB | Viewed 1337 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:05 pm 
Pets Forum Co-Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:10 am 
Pets Forum Co-Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:02 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

The series of 3 injections for puppies or only one for adults provides very good protection not only from distemper but also from the other big killer Parvo virus.

We also have parvo on the island, a real nasty. Parvo and distemper have no cure, only supportive care. Immunisation is crucial, in a majority of cases, the illness is fatal.

If the dog survives they often lose their teeth or their teeth are pitted and brown. They have thickened skins of the nose and on the foot-pads and can also have corneal discoloring and retinal damage and the seizres can leave them with a permanent tic. Also, while it looks as if the dog has recovered, the virus can live on in the brain and after a gap of several years suddenly activate.

The injections will protect against 6 very common dog diseases. If in doubt get it done.
Call the Lamma vet clinic on 2982 2481

Although the diseases are different the same applies to kittens and cats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:33 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Submitted by a Lamma resident:

For the attention of Dr Eric Tai, AFCD
11th July 2008

Ref: Distemper on Lamma Island

Dear Dr Tai,

Four dogs have died on Lamma within the last three weeks after a dog taken off Lamma by the AFCD to the government kennels came back infected with distemper. I insist that the dog went to you as a healthy animal, and came back with the infection.

The dog infected its siblings ~ the dogs that have since died, plus a further three dogs that are still struggling to survive the distemper virus. So, four perfectly healthy dogs have died a most unpleasant death.

Not being a person of much patience, and having already been advised that my complaining to you will bring me nothing but a denial, excuses or at worst indifference, I must firstly point out to you, that the issue of serious, contagious infection at the government’s kennels is known to be commonplace, both to charitable and professional animal carers in Hong Kong, as well as long-term, experienced dog-owners who have come to hear of such cases in the past with frightening regularity.

While I accept that it is obviously an owner’s responsibility to properly vaccinate their pets, which in this case was not taken care of, more must be expected from official representatives. Indeed, it is government that should take the lead on such matters. I find it unacceptable that the government’s kennels are so shockingly negligent in the methods of care and quarantining of animals they come into contact with.

I do realise the extent of the burden which is placed on the AFCD’s shoulders in terms of the numbers of animals coming to them, nonetheless, it is in noone’s interests either professionally or publicly for diseases as serious as distemper to be given the remotest chance of occurring with today’s standards of veterinary knowledge. Relatively speaking, charitable animal rescue groups are under just as much strain with the numbers of animals they take in, with little funding by comparison, but we don’t see their facilities being overrun with diseases such as distemper.

It is clear that working practice and policy within the AFCD is in urgent need of change. I strongly urge you to take the following actions:<UL COMPACT><LI>Impose regular, stringent disinfection procedures at all AFCD kennels;
<LI>Impose effective quarantine methods for animals brought to and discharged from AFCD kennels;
<LI>Employ committed, caring individuals to work with the animals in your care;
<LI>Properly educate and train members of staff at all levels on humane animal care and disease control;
<LI>Establish regulatory, work practice standards to be enforced among all staff members; and
<LI>Hold accountable, by dismissal if necessary, the directors in charge of the AFCD for cases of negligence and malpractice within its organization.</UL>It is not often that I take the time to make a complaint such as this, so I am prepared to take the matter further. I would welcome a serious, considered response from you, as to how mismanagement of basic disease control to this extent has been allowed to occur, and keep on occurring; and what measures will be taken henceforth to ensure that such negligence does not continue.

I will look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Yours sincerely,

(Lamma Resident)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:31 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:17 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted